“Nice location and comfortable bed but LOTS of ants” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea House Pool & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Chelsea House Pool & Gardens to your Saves list
Chelsea House Pool & Gardens
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   709 Truman Avenue, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Red Rooster Inn)   |
Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Key West
Orange Park, Florida
“Nice location and comfortable bed but LOTS of ants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

First impression...HOT. They leave the doors to the Inn open. But, the AC in the rooms worked really well. So, the sweltering Key West heat didn't make it into the rooms. The bed was very comfortable. The location was great and we lucked out with one of the three on location parking spaces.

The big problem was that the bathroom was quite literally crawling with ants. They seemed particularly keen on the bar of soap that the hotel provided. We only stayed one night and didn't bother telling the management though. It didn't have a major impact on our stay because they seemed to remain in the bathroom.

A smaller problem was that the breakfast choices were limited and overall poor in quality. I've had a better continental breakfast at a roadside motel. Not at all what I'd expect from a historic inn.

While there were some people with children in the inn, be aware that there is a clothing optional sun deck that is visible from many of the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Pool & Gardens, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
We're glad that you enjoyed our super comfy beds and the great location of the Chelsea House. We do leave the front door of the main house that leads to the lobby open, simply because when it is closed it looks like the inn itself is closed! When the door is open, it looks welcoming and guests know we are open for business. This time of year in the tropics when we have scattered rain showers, the tiny little "sugar ants" try to sneak indoors. They're particularly attracted to sweets, so when guests have open boxes of cookies, donuts, etc. in the rooms, it's harder to deter them. It's the same in our homes for those of us who live here, which is why everything is better when kept in Tupperware. Thankfully they're small and harmless, and if guests don't have open food throughout their rooms, we rarely see them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed her for a couple nights and absolutely loved it!! The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful when we were trying to find good places to eat and visit. Hotel was very clean and had a nice pool area. Very close to Duval St. Check-in and check-out was very fast and easy. We will definitely return :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Pool & Gardens, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Chelsea House Pool & Gardens! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Key West.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The hotel is outdated and in need of repair. The shower in our bath had filth between the tiles both nights of our stay. They credited us one night should have credited us both for these unsanitary conditions. Breakfast was poor also not a good value at all unless you don't care about personal hygiene or outdated sub par

• Stayed July 2014
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Pool & Gardens, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi Laurie,

The bathroom in the room you were in has since been re-grouted and is in tip-top shape. I wish you would have mentioned your displeasure when you were here, as we could have easily moved you to another room. When you subsequently wrote to the property manager after your departure, she did indeed refund you for one of the nights of your stay. Your written response clearly thanks her very much, you stated that you were happy and would definitely return to stay with us again, and in fact you signed off with "Have a Blessed Day!" You can see why we are confused that you turned around and wrote this review, in light of this correspondence.
Hollywood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

First off, if you are not anorexic, and if you have back problems, this place is NOT for you. The shower is the smallest I have ever seen, you can't bend (so ladies forget about shaving) and you can barely turn around and wash your back. It's gross enough staying at this very outdated hotel, let alone having your body touch their nasty shower walls. The tile in the bathroom is absolutely disgusting, I was gagging as I brushed my teeth.. had to close my eyes. We paid $300/night and it was a total waste. The bed is SO hard, I didn't sleep much at all, and went home with back pain. The housekeeping lady (tall african american woman) was so rude, we had BLOOD on a towel she left us and gave us an attitude when we asked her to change it. Front desk staff is very friendly and the location was good. Other than that, a total waste of $.. I should have paid the extra $40/night and stayed at the WESTIN ... never again.

Room Tip: we got a superior queen, and this was a total waste-
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Pool & Gardens, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hello litagd2014, I'm sorry you did not feel you received good value for money, as our rates are among the most competitive in the historic district of the island. We aim to provide our guests with a wonderful, homey Key West experience, and I apologize if anything wasn't of the highest standard at the time of your stay. I would appreciate it if you would e-mail me at msimmons@historickeywestinns.com with your room number and dates of stay, so that I can investigate the issues you raised with our staff. Thanks so much!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was not too sure with my booking after I read the comments on trip advisor. It seems like the non-renovated rooms generate the bad comments. When we arrived, we asked for a renovated room and we couldn't have been happier with the room we got. The check-in was quick and friendly. There was plenty of parking space, which was an important criteria since we were in the heart of the historic hood. We were a group of 3, sharing a room with two queen beds, facing the the pool, on the ground floor (room 29). It was spacious, very modern and clean. Water pressure, AC, all work perfectly and there was soap, shampoo, cream available. The pool is not very big and packed with kids at times, but for the intense heat of June, it was refreshing and clean. The breakfast buffet is served near the pool and consists of bagels, baked goods, yogourts, cereal, coffee, fruits etc. There was enough for everybody. We were able to walk to all the attractions. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 29 is spacious, renovated and faces the pool, which gives you quick access to the breakfast are...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here 4 nights and picked it, well to be honest it was the only place last minute in our price range as we changed or travel plans 2 days before heading out. When we checked in I requested a coffee maker as I like to roll out of bed to a cup of coffee. Especially when I am on vacation. I was told she would look into it. Never heard back. They could Charge a deposit for things like coffee makers and blow dryers so that they don't get stolen. But they should at least have some on hand for those who want them. Rooms are clean, but there is NO PLACE to put ANYTHING. No closet!! and only 2 hooks to close together on the wall for hanging clothes and holds like 4 hangers. No towel racks, no vanity for toiletries, back of commode is tiny and has button on top to flush so you can't set anything on that either. We had to put almost ALL of our stuff on the floor of the bathroom or shower. The "Dresser" only held half of my clothes and my blow dryer/toiletries etc. My boyfriend had to leave his clothes in the suit case all week. Both doors had no weather striping, so AC leaked terribly and the very bright hallway lights shined in our eyes all night. Grounds are very nice and it is in the perfect area for dining, renting bikes, Duval street etc. But if they would take a little money and add few storage options (shelves, towel racks, medicine cabinet etc.) my score would be easy a 4.5. Would not recommend for anyone with high expectations of a comfortable stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Chelsea House is a really cute place off of Trumon and walking distance to Duval. It has a nice pool and a breakfast selection that is small but was enough for my crowd. The House itself is very Key West chic and the staff was very friendly. My only complaint was that we got one of the cheaper rooms and it remained a little warm the whole time we were there. It was also a bit hard to get to as you have to go up a pretty narrow staircase. Otherwise, it was a nice stay and we would probably stay there again except request a room on a lower floor.

Room Tip: Go for a superior queen or a king room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Chelsea House Pool & Gardens? Share your experiences!