“OK, but could easily be better!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea House Pool & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Chelsea House Pool & Gardens to your Saves list
Chelsea House Pool & Gardens
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   709 Truman Avenue, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Red Rooster Inn)   |
Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Key West
“OK, but could easily be better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here 4 nights and picked it, well to be honest it was the only place last minute in our price range as we changed or travel plans 2 days before heading out. When we checked in I requested a coffee maker as I like to roll out of bed to a cup of coffee. Especially when I am on vacation. I was told she would look into it. Never heard back. They could Charge a deposit for things like coffee makers and blow dryers so that they don't get stolen. But they should at least have some on hand for those who want them. Rooms are clean, but there is NO PLACE to put ANYTHING. No closet!! and only 2 hooks to close together on the wall for hanging clothes and holds like 4 hangers. No towel racks, no vanity for toiletries, back of commode is tiny and has button on top to flush so you can't set anything on that either. We had to put almost ALL of our stuff on the floor of the bathroom or shower. The "Dresser" only held half of my clothes and my blow dryer/toiletries etc. My boyfriend had to leave his clothes in the suit case all week. Both doors had no weather striping, so AC leaked terribly and the very bright hallway lights shined in our eyes all night. Grounds are very nice and it is in the perfect area for dining, renting bikes, Duval street etc. But if they would take a little money and add few storage options (shelves, towel racks, medicine cabinet etc.) my score would be easy a 4.5. Would not recommend for anyone with high expectations of a comfortable stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Chelsea House is a really cute place off of Trumon and walking distance to Duval. It has a nice pool and a breakfast selection that is small but was enough for my crowd. The House itself is very Key West chic and the staff was very friendly. My only complaint was that we got one of the cheaper rooms and it remained a little warm the whole time we were there. It was also a bit hard to get to as you have to go up a pretty narrow staircase. Otherwise, it was a nice stay and we would probably stay there again except request a room on a lower floor.

Room Tip: Go for a superior queen or a king room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We found this room to be unbelievably small for the price charged. The room was originally part of the upstairs porch. The bathroom was so small that you could actually rest your head on the opposite wall while sitting on the commode. And for the price, one would expect that the water pressure in the shower would be better than "that of an 87 yr old man with prostate issues", as my boyfriend said. I would have hoped that a hair dryer would be available for guests. But, worst of all were the ants we found crawling in the bed. The next day, after notifying the desk staff, we were offered a different room, which we accepted, only to find the same types of ants in the bathroom. As for the free breakfast, we have enjoyed better from less expensive accommodations. I had hoped to enjoy an orange, only to pick up one the was half molded. I won't go into the disappointing hard bolied eggs. And that was after having to request staff to clean the table.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

our greeting staff member "Yellena" was very professional and wanted to accommodate in any way. She gave several restaurant suggestions. all good. Small but nice pool. Breakfast was ok. Rooms were ok but this is an old B&B. Good location to most everything. couple blocks off duval.

Room Tip: 11 & 12 are 1st floor. Many are 2nd and 3rd.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lake Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Upon arrival our room was ready, clean, bright, large king 4 post bed, small frig, happy to see, clean small 3 piece bath, very nice first impression
The pool and sitting area was nice, plenty of room. We didn't realize it is pet friendly, good space for larger groups and family. 3 free parking areas, which are premium in key west.

Able to walk anyplace, 2 blocks from Duval Street. Would return again. I was surprised how quiet it was, the property was near full. Had a great 3 days!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We chose the Chelsea House because-well honestly because our favorite B&B was full- and we were not disappointed. The staff was very very friendly and even made it a point to let us know when they were there until etc. (Ben was great-super friendly and willing to help us with whatever we needed-including a soap emergency when I dropped our bottle and it spilled all over so we needed more). We stayed in the house connected to the pool. Our room opened onto a small porch that connected to the patio/pool area. The view was very nice and there was a small sitting area outside our room on the porch that we could access through a second door in our room. I could not hear the road noise or people for that matter(although that could be because of the in wall a/c unit).
The room was a standard queen I believe and had plenty of space for us (the smallest area was near the bed on either side but there was more than enough space to get in and out of the bed). The bathroom was very large and housed the refrigerator as well. The room was clean and cool and really provided us with enough space and quiet. House keeping also cleans guests rooms in the afternoon so I didn't have to worry about them waking me or my husband early-which was great for us as we take part in the night life of Key West. The property was lovely and they included parking in the price-which is a big deal in Key West (they have two lots so don't be discouraged if the front one is full there is another one right around the corner). The B&B is very close to Duval street (a short walk) but wasn't so close that we had any issues with noise.
I only had three very very very minor issues with our stay and honestly they are personal preference things-one the a/c was loud as it is a window unit so if that bothers you then you may want to address that when booking-I am not sure if all rooms are window units or not. Our bed was very squeaky-like a joke in a movie squeaky but it wasn't uncomfortable. The other thing was the shower tap was fickle...do not turn it too far because you will burn yourself I can promise you that...I think maybe I was impatient with it and thought maybe I hadn't turn it far enough when I really should have waited for the water to warm a bit. Honestly, though, these issues were so very minor that I would not hesitate to rebook the same room in the same B&B tomorrow. It was a great stay in a well priced and well maintained B&B and I want to thank the Chelsea house for making our mini vacation amazing.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room in the house connected to the pool-this is where they serve breakfast and the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff Was friendly and helpfull, our room Was beautiful, comfortable and spacious and had the best time in key west. The historic neighborhood is pretty and fun to walk by.
Would definetly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Chelsea House Pool & Gardens? Share your experiences!