“Oue second visit and it wont be our last” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southernmost Inn

Save Saved
You added Southernmost Inn to your Saves list
Southernmost Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   525 United St, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Pearl's Key West)   |
Special Offer
Tripadvisor Special Promo
Ranked #69 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Oue second visit and it wont be our last”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We recently stayed at Pearls for 5 nights. Our room was a Queen bedroom on the ground floor with French doors opening onto the pool. We had previously had a King room on our last stay and this room was although smaller we were happy with it. The only negative I have about the room was the strange smell, I couldn't make out if it was damp or stale urine on the carpet, I used to leave the french doors open to allow some fresh air.
Most of the staff have changed since we were last at Pearls over New Year 2012. All the staff we met were friendly and welcoming especially Sue and Megan behind the bar and Richard who is a real asset to Pearls. There was one female member of bar staff who was very rude not just with us but other people as well, we noticed that some guests were complaining and making comments about her and they way she spoke with them. The woman on reception when we checked out on 10/06/2013 was also very rude, very unfriendly and looked as if she was in a bad mood. She did not smile, speak or ask if we had enjoyed our stay. She just took the keys, passed a receipt across reception and walked off into the office she didnt even hand it to me. This really was not good and totally unacceptable when someone is checking out, if I didnt love Pearls it would not encourage me to go back and I think this needs to be addressed as it is bad for business. Breakfast at Pearls was perfect and the staff are excellent and very friendly and welcoming in the strand.
We love Pearls patio and the pool area and I was very taken with Maisie (the cat). There were a few events going on at Pearls for pride which I feel could have been advertised more and we called back for karaoke one evening but there was no body there apart from a couple of locals which was a bit disappointing so we left. I think more could be done to encourage people to visit Pearls patio. On the whole we were pleased with our stay and would return even though it was not as friendly as our last stay. The location for Duval street is perfect and the beach, you can walk anywhere from Pearls and we always meet some nice guests here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KeysMezzo, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Your input regarding customer service is so valuable in helping us improve our guest's experience. We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Finnish first
Holyhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Myself and my partner returned again for a two week stay at pearls in May 2013. We love the relaxing atmosphere and Mey (the manager) and her team are fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble from the moment you check in, to the minute you leave. The pool areas are spotlessly clean, our room was comfortable and cleaned to a high standard daily, the bar has a friendly atmosphere and the breakfast is WOW. Everything about pearls is excellent, don't be put off by negative comments.......you won't be disappointed and i'm sure you will return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I rated this 'average' as it clearly needs updating, but it is clean and the hospitality was wonderful. The main reason a friend and I chose this place was the location. The front desk staff was great and a very nice man, the 'pool guy' who I am guessing is a grounds person of sorts, was very sweet and personable. He assisted me with parking my car and went above and beyond to assist me. I didn't get his name, unfortunately!
We did not partake in the free glass of sangria, which you get upon arrival, although the outside bar area by the pool was very cute. We did however enjoy one of the two pools. Other reviews on this site indicated this was too 'gay friendly' for them and they felt they were treated poorly. I went with two girlfriends, we are all straight, and had no issues nor did we feel uncomfortable. There were a number of people staying there, both gay and straight and didn't think it was an issue for anyone.
I would recommend this place but if you are looking for top notch amenities or anything fancy and up to date, this would not be for you.
Great location, right off Duval and very quiet, no issue sleeping and we were there for 2 nights, Friday and Saturday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Your input helps us make Pearl's a better place! We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel staff is AMAZING/FRIENDLY. The overall atmosphere whatever your sexual orientation is chill and relaxing the way key west should be. Besides you feel in paradise. Like many private resorts (not your sheraton or franchise inns) in key west there may be some topless woman. Everyone from the staff, guests, locals, and surrounding businesses were so helpful, informative, kind, friendly. One of my favorite key west trips as of date. Anne's Cuban Cafe is across the street and has amazing shakes, the southern most point in a block or two. Bike rentals in every corner, and the best..duvall street is at the corner. 10min walk to entire end of the other side of duval. Rooms are all different I heard. We stayed in 215, very tiny but we weren't in the room much only for sleeping and other activities and it was just fine. I would definitely stay again. Great experience. Pools are great too and bar depending on who is the bartender you get some strong cheap drinks (happy hours)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Pearl's. I plan on staying there again in the future. I love the location, away from the busy side of Duval street but close enough to jump right in to it. Loved the morning swim in both pools, shaded and not. Most of the staff were great, bartender could have been friendlier. Gay friendly place now instead of predominately lesbian, fine with me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pearland, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Used to be the only all women hotel in Key West. No soree Brenda, not anymore. It was totally open to the public of all ages. Still remains expensive with not much of that fare reinvested back into the property, it seems. I found my experience there nothing like it was in times gone by. Freedom, just another word for nothing left to lose and everything that was Pearls was lost. Business is business but not on my vacation watch. Say it ain't so and please go back to the Pearls that people from all over the world used to love. I can't go back there. It is true, change isn't always progress.

Room Tip: Well if you are 16 you might want poolside, if not wait for the noise, screaming and slamming doors...