“May 16, 2013” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pearl's Key West

Save Saved
You added Pearl's Key West to your Saves list
Pearl's Key West
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   525 United St, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Pearl's Rainbow Resort)   |
Ranked #70 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Barnesville
“May 16, 2013”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I just finished a long weekend in Key West. We stayed at Pearl's. I would not recommend staying here unless you are gay/lesbian. We didn't know prior to checking in that this hotel was primarily for gay/lesbian couples. Our fault. We are very open minded, but walking out to the pool area and seeing a large woman's bottom staring at us was a little unnerving. I ordered drinks from the bar on multiple occasions and each time was not treated with any kind of respect. It was more as if I was bothering them. I didn't notice the same service when they were waiting on gays/lesbians. I'm sorry if a heterosexual stepped on their toes at some point, however, it wasn't me and my money is as important to me as the next person. As far as the room, it's a good location relative to Duval Street. We were able to leave/return to our room thru a side door which was very convenient. Our room was spacious. And fortunately, there was someone's dirty sock left for us in one of the drawers. After we cleaned the dirty coffee pot, we were able to brew our own coffee. These issues were relayed to the lady at the front desk at checkout, and she had no comment...not even an apology for our inconvenience. Will we stay here next time...emphatically no.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KeysMezzo, Guest Relations Manager at Pearl's Key West, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your tripadvisor review. We are so sorry you did not have a good experience with us. Looks like we dropped the ball on so many levels, but your input helps us to improve, especially in regards to customer service. We hope you will consider checking out Pearl's again in the future.

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Finnish first
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I thought our room was overpriced. The sheets were very rough. There were exposed wires coming from the TV with a surge circuit exposed and hanging mid wall. The wall plate was off of the wall where the lamp was plugged in. I sat on the closed toilet seat and it sunk in because it was cheap plastic. The shower surround was cheap plastic. The breakfast staff were friendly, but the rest of them sucked. The location and outside areas were great. I won't be back. Parking is for 3 cars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and appreciate the feedback as it helps us to improve our guest's experience. It is unfortunate your experience was not a good one; maybe you will check us out again in the future.
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I just finished our stay here, and I have to say we loved it. Simona was very helpful to us before and during our trip. It's a little off where most of the action is on Duval Street but that was fine with us. First impression, room was extremely clean, and we were able to check in early. Bike rentals were close by, so we quickly found our way to get around. Our room (216) had its own private deck and shared an upstairs deck with easy access to the downstairs patio bar and pool. The pool was a godsend for cooling off (for those of us not accustomed to 88 degrees in May...) We ate in the Strand for breakfast twice in our stay and enjoyed both. The crowd here was diverse, but we expected that, and everyone was cool. Would not hesitate staying here again...

Room Tip: 216 was great - private deck as well as a shared - overlooks the pool. It's almost directly ove...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!
Kingsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Breakfast is delicious! A must! the people that work there could not be nicer or more accomodating. My only complaint is that the air conditioner in our room could not keep up with the warm 83 degree temperature outside. upon looking at the a/c unit from the outside, the sea air had done a number on it and it could use replacing. Our room was a tad outdated, but for the money, you can't beat the hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KeysMezzo, Guest Relations Manager at Pearl's Key West, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of us on tripadvisor! Your input helps us to improve our guests' experience, and we replace ACs all the time. They are affected by the weather as you noticed! Hopefully we can catch their breakdown before the room gets too hot. We hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had seen the reviews that this wasn't a 'straight friendly' hotel but didn't pay them much notice. I wish I had.
I booked this for my wife and I as an hotel within walking distance of the nightlife in Key West and the location couldn't be faulted. I was also pleased with the look of and the layout of the hotel when we arrived. We were also able to park in the small yard, so things were looking good.
The double room was small and this was compounded by the sloping ceiling. I'm 6 1"' tall and could only stand upright in about a 1/4 of the room. However I was aware of the sloping room when I booked so no real complaints about it. In reality its suitable for one person if you don't want to walk about bent over or risk banging your head. The real problem with this place is some of the staff.
We went for a drink in the patio bar which looked great. However the member of staff behind the bar was openly hostile. This baffled me at first particularly as other people in the bar were spoken to normally. However we were the only mixed sex couple there and she kept referring to me as 'him' The only other staff member we spoke to was behind the front desk and she was just as rude. Really surprised by this because we stayed in 7 different hotels during a tour of Florida and every other hotel worker / bar staff or waiter we spoke to were very friendly. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick and she didn't like my shirt or something but we certainly weren't made welcome. As such I can't comment on the breakfast or other facilities as I didn't spend another cent in the place.
The place looks good but it isn't all that. I'd go back to Key West at the drop of a hat and stay in this area but not at Pearls.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Booked Pearls by chance on Expedia, wonderful hotel. It is a quaint antique house converted to a hotel. the rooms were comfortable and the outside patio/bar couldn't be beat. Rented a bicycle around the corner from the hotel, everything on Duval is within easy riding distance. Pearls is in a great location, enjoyed it so much have already booked a 2nd trip in August. Great staff and breakfast is good.

Room Tip: Get a cheeseburger at the patio bar. Yum!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ocean, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Loving staff. Great outside patio with bar, perfect location, reasonably priced... Frankly, I don't know why you haven't booked it yet. My only suggestion is to not opt for the breakfast package in the morning, unless you're a big breakfast type of person. I eat small, so it didn't work out for me financially. Other than that, I'm looking forward to my next trip to Pearl's!

Room Tip: Top floor not as scary as some reviewers might lead you to believe.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Pearl's Key West? Share your experiences!