“Shabby on the inside, nice on the outside.” 2 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 8 sites
Save Saved
You added Southernmost Inn to your Saves list
Southernmost Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   525 United St, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Pearl's Key West)   |
Special Offer
Tripadvisor Special Promo
Ranked #68 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Shabby on the inside, nice on the outside.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I thought our room was overpriced. The sheets were very rough. There were exposed wires coming from the TV with a surge circuit exposed and hanging mid wall. The wall plate was off of the wall where the lamp was plugged in. I sat on the closed toilet seat and it sunk in because it was cheap plastic. The shower surround was cheap plastic. The breakfast staff were friendly, but the rest of them sucked. The location and outside areas were great. I won't be back. Parking is for 3 cars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KeysMezzo, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and appreciate the feedback as it helps us to improve our guest's experience. It is unfortunate your experience was not a good one; maybe you will check us out again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Finnish first
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I just finished our stay here, and I have to say we loved it. Simona was very helpful to us before and during our trip. It's a little off where most of the action is on Duval Street but that was fine with us. First impression, room was extremely clean, and we were able to check in early. Bike rentals were close by, so we quickly found our way to get around. Our room (216) had its own private deck and shared an upstairs deck with easy access to the downstairs patio bar and pool. The pool was a godsend for cooling off (for those of us not accustomed to 88 degrees in May...) We ate in the Strand for breakfast twice in our stay and enjoyed both. The crowd here was diverse, but we expected that, and everyone was cool. Would not hesitate staying here again...

Room Tip: 216 was great - private deck as well as a shared - overlooks the pool. It's almost directly ove...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We enjoyed having you with us at Pearl's and hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!
Kingsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Breakfast is delicious! A must! the people that work there could not be nicer or more accomodating. My only complaint is that the air conditioner in our room could not keep up with the warm 83 degree temperature outside. upon looking at the a/c unit from the outside, the sea air had done a number on it and it could use replacing. Our room was a tad outdated, but for the money, you can't beat the hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KeysMezzo, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of us on tripadvisor! Your input helps us to improve our guests' experience, and we replace ACs all the time. They are affected by the weather as you noticed! Hopefully we can catch their breakdown before the room gets too hot. We hope you will visit us again when you are in Key West!
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had seen the reviews that this wasn't a 'straight friendly' hotel but didn't pay them much notice. I wish I had.
I booked this for my wife and I as an hotel within walking distance of the nightlife in Key West and the location couldn't be faulted. I was also pleased with the look of and the layout of the hotel when we arrived. We were also able to park in the small yard, so things were looking good.
The double room was small and this was compounded by the sloping ceiling. I'm 6 1"' tall and could only stand upright in about a 1/4 of the room. However I was aware of the sloping room when I booked so no real complaints about it. In reality its suitable for one person if you don't want to walk about bent over or risk banging your head. The real problem with this place is some of the staff.
We went for a drink in the patio bar which looked great. However the member of staff behind the bar was openly hostile. This baffled me at first particularly as other people in the bar were spoken to normally. However we were the only mixed sex couple there and she kept referring to me as 'him' The only other staff member we spoke to was behind the front desk and she was just as rude. Really surprised by this because we stayed in 7 different hotels during a tour of Florida and every other hotel worker / bar staff or waiter we spoke to were very friendly. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick and she didn't like my shirt or something but we certainly weren't made welcome. As such I can't comment on the breakfast or other facilities as I didn't spend another cent in the place.
The place looks good but it isn't all that. I'd go back to Key West at the drop of a hat and stay in this area but not at Pearls.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Booked Pearls by chance on Expedia, wonderful hotel. It is a quaint antique house converted to a hotel. the rooms were comfortable and the outside patio/bar couldn't be beat. Rented a bicycle around the corner from the hotel, everything on Duval is within easy riding distance. Pearls is in a great location, enjoyed it so much have already booked a 2nd trip in August. Great staff and breakfast is good.

Room Tip: Get a cheeseburger at the patio bar. Yum!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ocean, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Loving staff. Great outside patio with bar, perfect location, reasonably priced... Frankly, I don't know why you haven't booked it yet. My only suggestion is to not opt for the breakfast package in the morning, unless you're a big breakfast type of person. I eat small, so it didn't work out for me financially. Other than that, I'm looking forward to my next trip to Pearl's!

Room Tip: Top floor not as scary as some reviewers might lead you to believe.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and felt welcome from the very start.

The staff were friendly and really helpful; they let us know where to rent a bike from (right on the next block), and gave us maps and pointers, as well as a couple of free cocktails on arrival!

Our room was a deluxe king, right next to the pool with it's own little verandah. I thought it might be noisy, but I wasn't to worry - we slept soundly every night. The pool is open 24 hours, but there is a no noise after 10pm policy, and the other guests weren't out that late anyway.

The wonderful thing for me was waking at 6am (because of jet lag!), and getting in the pool, floating around and watching the sky get lighter through the palm trees. Bliss.

There are two pools and a couple of hot tubs, all immaculately clean and well maintained. Towels are provided for the pool area, as are floating beds.

Breakfast and meals can be included in your booking, but we didn't take that option. We had breakfast one morning and it was cooked to order and totally delicious. Coffee and tea are freely available for all guests.

Wi-fi was good, and free.

The room was a good size with a bath and a nice hot shower; everything was very comfortable and clean.

Location wise, it's just off Duval Street and about a 15 minute walk from the main attractions, but you really need to hire a bike in Key West to see it best. Two days hire for two bikes was about $50 and was a really good investment. You can chain them up in the car park at Pearls as there is a rack just for that purpose.

We have stayed in another hotel in Key West which was more expensive, but if we went again, we would definately choose Pearls - there is nothing bad to say about the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Southernmost Inn? Share your experiences!