“Needs work” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southernmost Inn

Save Saved
You added Southernmost Inn to your Saves list
Southernmost Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   525 United St, Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Pearl's Key West)   |
Special Offer
Tripadvisor Special Promo
Ranked #68 of 96 Key West B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Needs work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

First, the good..good location..quiet end of Duval. Amazing breakfast..lovely pools and nice pool bar. The bad...we got an "economy" room..which was on the third floor...we didn't mind the stairs but the size of the room for what they charge seems highly overpriced. Also the mattress was awful! We did buy the breakfast with our stay and paid close to $800 for three nights. I would not stay in an economy room again but would stay at Pearls.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Finnish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We chose Pearls because of a nice ad in Dameron's made it seam it was a good gay resort. Well...it was mostly straight when we were there. While I have no issue with straight people, I was REALLY hoping for a gay resort. I agree with other reviewers that the pricing was a bit high for the shape of rooms/beds and the service. Our bed's mattress was worn out making the bed way too soft. On the positive the location was fantastic and there are 2 heated pools and 2 hot tubs. Breakfast was not included and semi pricey. They should include breakfast with the rates they are charging.

Room Tip: Choose room on first floor.
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

First of all, I am pretty easy to impress. I love vacations and tourist areas and generally give every hotel I stay at, at least an average rating unless it is really really bad. Ironically, the three worst reviews I have ever written all took place in the Florida Keys. This trip, it was right here at Pearl's Key West. I have never ever been talked to the way someone by the name of Simona (sp?) treated me upon my arrival. I entered alone while my husband tried to figure out where to park and she was nothing but rude, cold, and condescending. I have never felt so unwelcome at a hotel, especially in such a hardcore tourist destination. Her attitude was all about the parking situation. I asked nicely where he is supposed to park and if they validate. She looked at me like I was the dumbest person alive and said,"Didn't you read our website??" I said,"Yes, I did, but it doesn't hurt to ask..." I wanted nothing more than to be across the street at the Southernmost Hotel where we stayed last time, but it was booked when I made reservations several months ago. In any case, I was so turned off to this property right away and to make matters worse, we were put on third floor. I have a knee injury so those super steep steps really sucked, and there was no AC in our room. It was very warm up there. Also, if you are tall, don't stay on third floor, my husband couldn't stand up all the way due to the slanted ceiling. I will say some positive things were the hot tub and heated pool. No one was ever in either of them so it felt like we had it to ourselves. One night there were some couples in the hot tub and we ended up becoming friends. The bar tender was very nice to us, but I could not get passed how rudely I was treated upon my arrival. As we spoke about this to waiters, bar tenders, and other travelers that night, it turns out this hotel was known for only liking women and discriminating married couples and men...I know they say they are "straight friendly"...but I could not help but wonder if I was treated rudely because of my sexual orientation. I am hoping that didn't have anything to do with it, but the rumor around the island is that it did. I don't think I would stay here again,, the shower was filthy with mold and everything! The entire room felt like it had a layer of dirt on it...but the location is excellent if you want to be in the old town area. We walked everywhere. Even to Fort Zachary Taylor. After I had a few drinks and got over the whole check in thing, it ended up being just fine...just don't stay here if you can't easily do steep steps.

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was our first and only trip to Pearls. It was located in a quiet end of Duval street and was convenient to several attractions. The verbage on their website "Bed and Breakfast rate" lead me to believe it was a B&B, which we love to stay in. No it wasn't. Breakfast was not included and when you spend almost $270 per night, that was a disappointment. I should have read the reviews a little closer because some complained about the size of the room. Boy were they right! Only room for a dresser, queen bed and 1 night stand. Not that we expected more room but between that and the small (and I mean small) bathroom you felt a little claustrophobic. The bathroom had a very small shower (modular shower with a shower liner not a curtain) and a pedestal sink. One person at a time bathroom. Our room was up against a fence so the room was very dark at all times of the day. Walls were pretty thin and had to listen to the guy next door snore all night! On the plus side, the pool area was very nice. As were the 2 hot tubs. Folks that worked there were very nice and helpful. But that being said, we were very disappointed in the overall experience.

Dublin, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I would give this place a higher review except for a few things. The first and most would be Brenda the bartender at Pearls Patio. She was horrible, rude, and overall unfriendly! My friend and I were there for a friends wedding I think she thought we were spring breakers (we are 27 & 30) or something because she was so rude to us. Mind you we were never drunk while at her bar and were overly polite to see if she would change (she didn't). Other then that the breakfast was amazing and the male bartender the first day we were there was fantastic! Rooms were a little run down but the grounds made up for it. Overall I would suggest this place most of the staff was friendly, the grounds were well kept, and location was pretty good.

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't on the top floor it's in an old house so it's like an attic. I am 6...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a beautiful resort with very friendly staff and in the perfect location. Although we were expecting more lesbians we discovered that the resort is welcome to all adults. This was not a problem for us because we knew that we were in a safe welcoming environment and well protected by the staff. We would stay at Pearls again and highly recommend it to any adult that is not homophopic.

Room Tip: The economy rooms are very small with a tilted ceiling. If this is a problem do not stay in the econ...
Hernando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our first time to Key West and we enjoyed staying at Pearls. It is located very conveniently within walking distance of many attractions such as the Hemingway House, the Southernmost Point and Fort Zachary State Park and beach. We could also walk to the restaurants and bars on Duval St. Our room at Pearls was small with a slanted ceiling and we had to walk up three flights of stairs to get to it but it was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed Happy Hour at their bar. They have a restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch but with so many other restaurants around the corner we never got around to eating there. It is not a luxury B & B but we had fun and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Let them know if you can't climb stairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Southernmost Inn? Share your experiences!