“Off-Duval Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 369 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: cuisine.name.191
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A beautiful brick courtyard and relaxed surroundings with bamboo and palm trees. Located in old town but it feels like miles away. Wifi available.
Virginia
“Off-Duval Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

No gimmicks or overpricing, just flat out great and imaginative food at reasonable prices in a decent (somewhat dull) outdoor setting on a quiet street. Lobster mac deserves the kudos it gets. Sangria was also excellent. A few more items on the menu would also be welcome, but you will most likely find something you like nonetheless.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Perkasie, Pennsylvania
“Great fish taco's!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Went with a friend for a quick dinner. He said "Grunts has the best fish taco's on the island." He wasn't wrong. The fish taco's are on the starter/app portion of the menu and they were fantastic!! Sat outside, drank a few beers, great experience.

Visited June 2013
Key West, Florida
“More than I expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Went there and had some appetizers and I was pleasantly surprised! I would definately go again to try the dinners.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Massapequa, New York
“Great Place When Weather Is Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We (3 couples) were visiting Key West the 1st week of June, 2013, during a spell of unusually wet & cloudy weather, but Grunts had been recommended to us so we ate their between the raindrops. The reason the weather is critical is that, with the exception of a small building with a bar, all of the action is outside. However, it's worth the gamble, and, in nice weather, this gem might have gotten 5 stars from me.

Our host, a great guy from the Czech Republic named Milan, slid two round tables as close together as he could to accommodate our party of six, and we proceeded to enjoy a great meal under big umbrellas (it wasn't raining, but it sure was threatening to). Most of my party tried to lobster mac & cheese appetizer, and all raved about it. I tried the conch ceviche, which was very tasty although a little chewy.

I don't recall specifically what we had as entrees, other than one person enjoying a burger and one eating the excellent fish tacos as a dinner. I do remember that all of the dishes were excellently prepared, with the exception of one overcooked hamburger, but that problem was immediately remedied and Milan even left the original burger in case someone wanted it, gratis.

What made the place special, besides the wonderful food, was Milan. After a discussion about every restaurant we tried claiming their Key Lime Pie was the best anywhere, we told him that we were too full for dessert this particular night. He tried to convince us that we had to accept his challenge, but to no avail. While we were enjoying our coffee, Milan reappeared with two slices of the pie, insisting that we at least try it, on the house. That, to me, was an above-and-beyond gesture which meant it wasn't just for the profit that he was trying to get us to sample it for dessert. It was excellent, by the way, although there was one I liked better (Chef Michaels in islamorada). I would give the pie an easy 4 stars though.

We enjoyed our experience at Grunts, despite the weather, but within an hour of our dinner it poured really hard, so I don't know how we would have fared if that had happened while we were eating. That being said, I would highly recommend you try Grunts on a nice evening in Key West.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Weeki Wachee, Florida
“What a treat!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This was an amazing find. We happened to stumble upson Grunts while wandering around Key West!
The service was terrific. I had the Caprice because I am a vegetarian and it was awesome. The rest of the group had a variety of selections off of the menu and everyone came close to licking their plate.
It is a cute little place off the beaten path. I think you should give it a try! It is delicious!

Visited June 2013