“Loved every minute!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Villa Park, California
“Loved every minute!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

It's been a few months since my husband and I visited Key West and the Gardens Hotel, but the memories made there were so fantastic, and are still so fresh, we are still talking about and looking forward to going back! The only negative I can say is we didn't have enough time! We were so busy seeing the sights, the next time, I would be just as happy to sit by the pool sipping cool drinks made by none other than Billy the Bartender, or sipping my way through the vineyards in their very own on premise wine tasting room!

The staff was warm and welcoming from the start! The Italian sparkling wine upon check-in, was a very nice touch. The grounds are historic, lush and tropical, and a beautiful peaceful retreat from the huslte and bustle of Duvall street, which is very close by but you would never know it. The other hotel guests and visitors added to the special ambiance. Fun, friendly, comfortable and welcoming is how I would categorize this gem of a hotel. We stayed in the Eyebrow cottage which I would highly recommend. It is very private yet you have access to all of the amenities. Loved every minute, and looking forward to going back!

Room Tip: The Eyebrow Cottage was wonderful! I don't know if all the rooms have the same beds, but ours wa...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The gardens is close to everything but, just off the main drag so it's quiet. We stayed in the cottage they offer. Everything was perfectly clean and comfortable. The setting is lush and serene. We were there on our honeymoon and truly enjoyed our time there. The pool there is perfect for a quiet dip. Breakfast was very nice and more than enough was offered.

The quietude of this place was perfect for our honeymoon.

We highly recommend this place. And, we'll be back.

Room Tip: The cottage is great for a honeymoon. Next time we'll opt for a regular room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

There are many reasons why this hotel is listed in the "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" and has won so many awards. We arrived early and were welcomed by Jim, the Tall Dude. He immediately offered us a glass of Prosecco while he was taking care of checking in other guests. At our check in, he answered all of our questions regarding Key West (this was our first visit). He even carried my heavy suitcase up the stairs to our room! We also enjoyed interacting with Erika and shared travel experiences. She is German and loves Lebkuchen (wink wink). The hotel is close to busy Duval Street, but as soon as you walk through the gate it is your private and quiet oasis. The grounds, rooms, and staff are simply lovely! Staying at The Gardens Hotel was the best part of our stay in Key West. Watching the sunset from Mallory Square came in second.

Room Tip: We stayed in Garden Room 10, an upstairs room with a view of the pool. Lovely!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TOTOKeyWest, General Manager at The Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful kudo's from the Tall Dude! We are all happy your trip was great!
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is my third trip to Key West and I am so lucky I found The Gardens Hotel on Tripadvisor. After staying in a few very average places I can't stress how much this Hotel has improved the quality of my most recent trip to Key West. The rooms are clean and spacious and the price is very reasonable. The little fridge and tea and coffee making facilities in the room are very handy and the bed and different variety of pillows are comfortable. One of the main things I noticed about this hotel compared to other similar priced places I have stayed is that everythig works and is well maintained.

Above all, the thing that makes this Hotel so good is the staff. They are so friendly and will go out of their way to help in any way they can. In particular, Bill is amazing! This hotel is so lucky to have him working there. He would have to be the nicest person I have ever met and so clever when it came to answering questions.

The staff are always smiling and able to come up with solutions to any problem. They also reccomend things truthfully. The Pool and Spa were wonderful and everything is clean and well kept.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Metairie, Louisiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just returned from our trip to Key West & The Gardens Hotel and it was wonderful! I can't express how friendly & accommodating the staff were from Jim offering us a glass of Proseco upon arrival to the wait staff at breakfast! We felt like we were staying at a private home with us being pampered on in a non harassing sort of way. We stayed in one of the beautiful garden rooms. It was very clean & comfortable with all the necessities including sunscreen. The gardens are so serene & tranquil, very relaxing. Their attention to detail at the hotel is immediately discovered soon after you arrive. We especially enjoyed sitting by the pool talking to Billy the bartender! He is like "The Gardens" own social committee! He made us seem like we were his long lost friends! We will definitely recommend The Gardens to anyone we know visiting Key West & we will stay at no other place in Key West than this hidden Gem!
PS don't forget to ask for the yogurt breakfast martini & The Gardens specialty drink, the Gardenia!

Room Tip: The garden room was great. Private. Clean. Nice linens. Cool. Nice toiletries including sunscreen. V...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I booked our honeymoon here after I did extensive research on tripadvisor. I was not at all disappointed with our choice. There are so many places to stay in Key West - having just visited there for my first time that became even more obvious. There is a B&B, guesthouse, hotel every few feet on every street it seems. We also talked to others we met in Key West about their accommodations and we were informed there are much cheaper places to stay. I only say that to say for the amount of money we paid to stay 6 nights I felt it was well worth it. We stayed in the Cottage for 2 nights and then moved over to the Tree Top room. I'd have preferred the Tree Top for the entire stay but it wasn't available our first 2 nights. For our honeymoon it was nice to splurge a little bit on the bigger room, but both rooms were exceptional. Every morning the breakfast was nice. We left out each morning with a full stomach and it was nice to eat outside by the pool. The pool bar by the way - wonderful. Both Billy and Maria can make a fabulous piña colada! I also loved the wine bar...maybe a little too much (if that's even possible). The hotel staff were all very informative and accommodating. I would further encourage you not to be afraid to ask them questions, get advice, or tell them about any issues you have. I think that is reasonable no matter where you stay!

• Stayed September 2012
JimandNorman, General Manager at The Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
We are so happy you had a wonderful time while in Key west and at The Gardens Hotel. Well said and we appreciate it. I look forward to your return!

Jim Marquardt, General Manager (Somehow my personal TA and the business TA have merged. I hae emailed TA about this problem)
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were in the keys for our silver wedding last week. This was our second visit to the Gardens. What can i say, this is the best place we have ever stayed, everything about it... The place is stunning no other words for it, the location is perfect but the front of house team and the staff make the place what it is... Nothing is too much trouble, its like staying with old friends, this place made our anniversary celebration so much more memorable? A must try is the wine gallery, a unique wine tasting experience and fun too.... The pool was out of use one day as a large tree was being taken down, the hotel arranged free tickets for the cinema to be used by guests if you wished to compensate for the pool being out of action.... Everything seems "easy" when you are a guest here, no stressed or stroppy staff here!!!! Cannot praise it enough, can only look forward to returning. THANK YOU :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Gardens Hotel? Share your experiences!