“A good place to stay in” 4 of 5 stars

Wicker Guesthouse
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   913 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #80 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Riga, Riga, Latvia
“A good place to stay in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Few blocks from the action and noise, but very quiet and relaxing on the property. The room was great, a little small but very confortable and clean.Front desk staff was very helpful, especially Baiba, she helped us with all the activities and directed us where to go and what to see, also she gave us cupons for numerous places so we can get free drinks.
Over all we had an amazing time and we will definately come back to Key West again and stay at the Wicker Guesthouse!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had a terrific experience here. The rooms are wonderful. The location is perfect. The price / value is excellent. There is a pool in the back. The hospitality is wonderful. Randy, the person at the front desk, is also great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ft. Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed here by myself midweek. I paid 150.00 per night. while that is not a lot to some, I didn't feel that it was worth the money.
The room I was given was very small with one queen size bed. It felt lumpy and softer- not too my taste. There was an awkward outdoor wicker table and two chairs on the other side of the room. NO decorations or personal touches in the room of any kind! (Very un Key West like.) To top it off, your front door, had little frosted windows with no curtain, so the sun came in early and woke me up each morning! No sleeping in here!
There was no closet, no phone, no clock of any kind in my room, no box of tissues, and no hair conditioner. (and if you want a hair dryer you have to go downstairs and get yourself.)
The complementary breakfast was ok, the usual toast and yogurt type situation. But the coffee was horrible! Try staying someplace else-wicker House is better left as a last resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I am writing this review before I check out as we have just had a terrible night in this place.

We booked a quiet location in Key West so we could enjoy Duval street and then return to sleep later in the night. The Wicker Guesthouse must have been the sub agents for these apartments and we had to pick the key up from here. On arrival we were told there was a 'problem' with the other place and we would have to stay here in Duval Street.

Wicker Guesthouse were not full so, in retrospect, I hope this wasn't the reason the other place was suddenly unavailable and we had to stay here.

They assured us they had the internet. I am sending this via my mobile wifi as their internet is not working - yet again. In a month of travelling, this is the worst internet service we've had as it is virtually unusable. Seeing as my mobile WIfi works, I can't see why they can't sort out a service that is at least usable. We were located directly above the office so it's not as if we are a long way away.

Re wanting a quiet room. After being told of the change we stressed that a quiet room is what we wanted. We were assured that all the action was down the other end of Duval St. and this end was fine. Randy also said with the door shut, we wouldn't hear anything. The appearance from the outside was seductive with a beautiful big tree and a verandah surrounding the room. Being a Thursday night and not a weekend, we took him on faith.

How wrong could he be ! It was a disaster.

Drunken groups were noisily working their way up the street until about 3.30 a.m.; motorbikes with extra loud exhaustswere hooning up the street until very early this morning. There was a huge amount of activity - it was like a drunken party immediately outside our room. We had less than a half hours peace from 3.30 am and then the roosters started. When the roosters finished, the cleaning vehicles and delivery trucks moved in. As I type this, there is a large motor running nearby and a lo ud motor bike is roaring up the street.

I can't begin to imagine how noisy Wicker Guesthouse place would be like on a Friday or Saturday night as we were here during the week. Duval Street is not the place to stay unless you plan to be up all night.

To rub salt into the wounds, the toilet has stopped working this morning.

Don't get seduced by the photos or what personnel say about this place. Read the reviews carefully and between the lines you will find the real picture.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere if you need the internet or at least some sleep during the night
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleethorpes, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We chose this guesthouse for the location on Duval Street and for this we weren't disappointed. The location could not be better within walking distance of everywhere.

The rooms were more than adequate. However they aren't particularly sound proofed, so you might want to take ear plugs, particularly as some of the neighbouring guesthouses can be noisy. Bizarrely one morning about 8am they had decorators scraping and painting the outside of the room we were in and the staff never thought to give us notice that this was happening!

There also appeared to be some sort of housekeeping staffing crisis and the rooms were surface, rather than deep, cleaned. Also one day we had no cleaning staff at all, and another day I had to call reception just before the cleaning staff went home to get the room serviced. We were told that as we were there for 2 weeks we weren't due for a full service every day. Well I didn't get a reduced rate for being there for 2 weeks, so to me that is not good enough. I'd have rather they said sorry, you got missed it won't happen again, rather than attempt to deflect.

In fact the room servicing was so slapdash I never left a tip for the housekeeping staff, which is a first for me. My tip for them would be "clean the room next time". I think that the location of this guesthouse means that they really don't have to worry about repeat business, so this is why they weren't interested in our housekeeping issues.

The breakfast was OK but not worth getting up for (there was 1 toaster for all the guests apart from one morning when there were 2 and then back to 1 for some strange reason) as very little was put out at one time and it took too long to get it.

All in all this was a nice enough guesthouse in a great spot, but not good enough to make it a priority choice when visiting fabulous Key West again. There are a lot of other nice places just off Duval that will be as good if not better. It's a shame, because with a bit more thought and effort this place could be fabulous.

Room Tip: I think it's pretty much you get what's free - I would say poolside rooms would be noisy owi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had booked a reservation at the Wicker Guesthouse for my birthday and let them know it would be a special occasion. They took such great care of us; they upgraded us to a private villa called Heather's Villa and it was amazing! It was spacious, the decoration very reminiscent of Miami/Cuba, their sofa bed has got to be one of the most comfortable pull out sofa beds I've ever slept on, their bathroom is huuuge and the shower is awesome! We barely used the kitchen because of all the great restaurants that are really close but it was fully stocked with cups, plates, utensils and even pots and pans! Lots of towels and bedding so we didn't even need housekeeping to replenish anything! It rained terribly on both days we were there but the balcony is so comfortable and spacious that my family and I just ordered delivery and sat there, people watching. We had such a great time and our accommodations played a big part in that experience. Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Homosassa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We chose the Wicker Guesthouse for their location, and we were extremely pleased! It's located right in the heart of the action of Key West. It's just a block and a half from the Hemingway House, a short distance from the Southernmost Point, and a nice pub crawl from Mallory Square.

If you are looking for a 5 star resort, stop reading and book elsewhere. The room we had was indeed small, but our plans only included sleeping. There is a pool that we did not use, but was clean and spacious. Breakfast was more than acceptable.

The overall security and noise, was just fine.

We left our car in their parking lot and didn't use it the entire visit in KW.

Great place to lay your head in KW.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wicker Guesthouse? Share your experiences!