“good job dexter” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Ocala, Florida
“good job dexter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I made reservations for our yearly Key West trip in late February. I was told rooms were available but not in the Duvall wing. I booked room 161 and called several times before our arrival to see if, perchance, a room had opened in our preferred location. About 1 week before our arrival, I called again. Reservations put me in touch with Dexter. After 15 minutes, Dexter informed me that after several changes he was able to transfer our reservation to the Duvall wing. Dexter was professional, courteous, and conveyed a feeling of importance concerning our request. Because of his effort, he has cemented a longterm relationship with my family and Southernmost. Consider him a real asset to your organization.
Thank you.
Regards,
Robert A. Latina

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had an awesome stay at the Southernmost hotel. We stayed in a Deluxe Balcony King, and was very happy with the room/bathroom. It was spotlessly clean, nicely decorated, well maintained and spacious. The room had all the service we wanted. Free parking and wifi was a big plus for us.

Hotel grounds were beautiful. Multiple pool areas, a great (small) beach, gym etc. The staff was very friendly and helpful. For us, the location is super. Quiet surroundings, and just a short walk from Duval Street.

If we ever return to Key West will definitely choose Southernmost hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Noblesville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had stayed at Southernmost on the Beach last year and loved it. Everything was so nice. Prices were higher this year, so we decided to stay at the Southernmost Hotel, still over $300 per night. Upon entering our room, we were greeted with warm, humid, musty smelling air. Which was surprising since the outdoor temp was only 62 degrees that day (we visited in February). First thought was that the air conditioning had been turned off, but no it was running and set at 72. So, we turned on the ceiling fan and opened the windows. Felt a bit like airing out a lake cottage. The room was nicely appointed and perhaps it had just been vacant for a few nights. But as my daughter went to take a shower and I sat on the bed, we found both the sheets and towels to be damp.
At that point, we decided to talk to the front desk. We were not offered another room, but Linda called housekeeping and escorted us back to our room. She stated that the musty smell was in fact a new smell. Everything in the room was new! I agreed that the room had pleasant and comfortable furnishings, but perhaps the ac unit was not working properly. She said it was a brand new unit. I pointed out that the filter was very dusty and she told me she could not see any dust, but would call maintenance. When I asked about the linens being damp, she insisted they were just cold, but told the house woman who had joined us, "Just replace the towels and make them happy". Linda offered to open the windows, if the "new" smell was still bothering us. I told her we had already opened the windows.
When maintenance arrived, he removed two very dirty filters and cleaned them. I asked how a brand new unit would have such dirty filters, to which he replied, "This is not a new unit".
The next morning, after we both had showered, we had to open the door to the outside because the humidity in the room was overwhelming. We turned the air conditioner to its lowest setting (64) and left for the day. When we returned late that afternoon, the room was more comfortable.
That evening, we found a very full damprid bag in the closet. Obviously, humidity has been a problem in this unit. We also determined that the musty smell was coming from the new area rug in the room, because it was damp. It smelled like wet burlap.
The next day was Monday. I again approached the front desk and told a new person of our situation. I was told to fill out the survey that will be emailed to me after we leave. Which, I did over three weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything from Southernmost Hotel.
At the price we paid for our room, this is simply unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. First I would like to apologize for the condition you found your room in. It is true that all of our rooms at the Southernmost Hotel in the USA have undergone recent renovations and I am very disappointed your room was not found to be spectacular. I will be sure to research the issues you have thoughtfully brought to our attention. Your stay certainly sounds far below the exceptional customer service experience we strive for every day and those areas where improvements are needed will be addressed. Again thank you for taking the time to write your review and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance to you.
East Aurora, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Key West and we chose the Southernmost Hotel based on the TripAdvisor recommendations. We were not disappointed. The room was updated, clean and well appointed and the bathroom was the most well thought out hotel bath room that we have seen. Much storage, clean looking, great shower. Not the normal roadside hotel experience. Our room was very quiet. We had a balcony room overlooking Duval St. There was no appreciable outside noise with the balcony door closed and the A/C on. No noise whatsoever from adjoining room which was occupied. The balcony was nice to sit out and enjoy a cocktail on. Good sized refrigerator in the room was a welcome spot to store tonic water.
The selection of pools and waterfront sitting areas was good, and they seemed to limit the kids activities to one of the pools. Beach was good and attendants were helpful in getting out chairs and even brought around frozen towels which was a novelty to me.
We liked the hotel's location at the quiet end of Duval as the carnival atmosphere to the West side of Truman Blvd wore a little thin after once or twice. Very easy access to many restaurants and attractions with only a short walk.

All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
thornton,il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were visiting Key West for the first time and could not figure out where to stay. A friend who has visited the area numerous times suggested the Southernmost. The staff was excellent. The room 399 was very nice with a partial view of the pool . I say partial cause there is a palm tree that obstructs your view either trim or cut down and the view would be fab. I would stay at this location before I would stay in their beach units.Regarding Key West beaches if you plan on swimming you should have beach shoes.

St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Southernmost Hotel again for the 4th time in 3 years. It is important I find to let people know that this is one of the nicest, cleanest with such a variety of places to stay in Key West. You can stay by a pool, by the ocean or have a garden view. The rooms have all be updated in the last 18 months are are clean and very nicely done. This is always one of my favorite places to stay in all of the Keys for a hotel! The recently changed the "middle pool" to an Adult only (21 and over) although that sounds good to most adults, we don't like the actual changes to the pool itself. They took a very good size pool that most guest did not use so it was very private, and changed it to a very small pool, almost the size of a big hot tub and made it adults only with lots of lounge chairs. Liked it the way it was, but still one of our favorite places.

Sundsvall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our second time in Key West. Last time we stayed near Mallory Square, but traveling with kids during spring break, we decided to try the Southern part of the Island. This was a good decision. The southernmost part of Key West is much calmer, specially at night. The southernmost hotel is part of the Southernmost hotel Collection, and as guest you can use the facilities at all 4 hotels. The Southernmost hotel has newly refurbished rooms, the standard in the rooms are perfect. There are 2 pools at the hotel, and you can also use the pool at Southernmost hotel on the beach, across the street. The southernmost beach is also located across the street, and as guest at the hotel so are the beachchairs for free. There are a well equipped fitnesscenter, which we used in the evnings. Staff is very friendly and helpfull. We had a great vacation at the Southernmost hotel in USA!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Southernmost Hotel? Share your experiences!