“southernmost hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 42 Hotels in Key West
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“southernmost hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

i loved staying in this beautifully appointed hotel. The room was spacious, contemporary design with 5 star amenities. The staff was friendly and helpful. I needed directions to get to my room and the person I asked WALKED me to it. The food we ordered from bar by pool was delicious. Ceasar salad and scrimp. Fresh and tasty. The concierge recommended excellent restaurants and info on where galleries and shops were. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Temperance, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our room was newly renovated, nice and comfortable. The staff was very good and helpful. We liked the location, close to the beach and southernmost cafe. Check this place out, you will like it.One thing to know, most of the housekeeping staff are non-english speaking, therefore it was difficult to convey any special needs directly with the lady who was our housekeeper. I had to go down to the front desk and let them know what little changes I needed. The front desk quickly made sure those little requests were addressed. All in all, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room facing United Street.
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I found this hotel because it is one of the few in key west that seemed to have a resort like feel and it is much cheaper than the Southern Most on The Beach. You still get all the amenities of the Beach resort just at a better price and slightly different location. Most rooms are parking lot view which was not a big deal because who really stays in the room much in kw? There are some rooms with a pool view. Checking in was easy and the front desk staff were all very nice. However, there was some construction going on, the website said he construction would be completed almost a month before our stay. This was a problem because it did wake us up earlier than expected one morning. We did talk to the front desk and did receive comp breakfast, which was a nice gesture but I'm not sure how I felt about the whole situation. Before this,we had a light flickering and a broken refrigerator. The fridge was replaced quickly and the light bulb was removed and not replaced. The room was very clean and the bathroom was a pleasant surprise. There was a very large walk in shower and ample space for getting ready. The room was small but that's expected most places in kw. The pool bar was great and even had happy hour and drink specials daily. Many activities are held each day at the hotel and we very much enjoyed beer school with Boomer by the pool. I was also a little confused as the why there was a guy walking around the "private" beach area with a very inappropriate thong like outfit. I felt that this was inappropriate considering the little kids at the beach area. But I overheard him telling people that this was allowed. If my child had been with us I would have left be beach, yes it's that bad. After all this is kw! You never know what you will see here. Overall we had a good stay and yes I would come back,but maybe choose to pay a little more for a pool area room.

• Stayed November 2012
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our property. I would like to apologize for the noise you heard during your stay with us. All major renovations to our property were completed by October 19th with a few minor improvements still in progress. I believe our new luggage storage addition was the noise you heard and while I wish these improvements could be accomplished in another fashion, unfortunately there is little alternative. I am glad the front desk bought you breakfast for this inconvenience. I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed the brand new rooms we've just updated and our fun and fabulous pools and bars. I can tell by your description you were on Key Wests South Beach and as we do not own this property we have no ability to dictate an individual’s attire. I can appreciate your concern however, Key West is known for its open and accepting attitudes and while this may not be for everyone it is a valued part of the community. I would like to thank you again for taking time to write your review.
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at Southernmost Hotel for 3 nights, we were in the part across the street from the beach but was still very convenient. The Southernmost Beach Cafe had good food at prices that were not outrageous. We had read some reviews that had me concerned so we we checked in I asked if the room has in the renovated part and when they said it was not I asked to see the room. I was pleasantly surprised. Even though it had not yet been renovated the room was very nice with nice big bathroom with large tiled shower enclosure. Had a problem with hot water at one point but once we reported it, they fixed the issue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Belle River, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in Key West, recently.

Check-in was easy, and Wally was accommodating and super friendly, introducing us to the concierge, and showing us where the pools, spa and bars are on the property. He also tried to find us a larger room, but we were totally okay with the prospect of being at the end of the building.

We ended up in room 130, which was indeed small, but it was perfect! They've managed to fit quite a lot into the little space - large dresser, work desk, queen bed, closet w/ fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. The bathroom was a decent size - plenty of room to move around in. The best part about the room was the QUIET. Being at the end of the building, we were pretty much isolated from the rest. The room also opens out into a little garden area, and we could hear a couple roosters crowing in the morning. It was great.

We had drinks a couple nights at the bar near the beach, during happy hour. The service at the bar inside was okay, but we sat out on the patio, where there was zero service. So we just went inside whenever we wanted a drink.

Tried the spa for a pedicure and had a really good one, courtesy of Tippy, whose leg & foot massage made me want to just fall asleep in the chair for a while! Also, Amber, who also works at the spa is incredibly sweet and very efficient with scheduling. Very well run place.

We were only in Key West for a long weekend, so we spent most of our time walking around town, doing some tours, and eating/drinking. Didn't lounge by any of the hotel's pools, but they looked nice from what I could tell.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: If you like peace & quiet (read: no sleep interruptions) and don't mind a small room, go for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
The Villages
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

First the resort is made up of several buildings. Our room was in the front building nice remodeled room.There were 3 pools and a beach all of which were very nice. Each poolbar had daily specials as did the main resteraunt bar. The rooms were very clean and withing walking distance of most anything you wanted to get to. The trolley stop was close by. Would deffinatly stay again. Just wish the Rooster would loose his voice or reset his clock.

Room Tip: If you want spend a little more and get back by the beach and back pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great service very clean and modern rooms, a little pricey during the event, but we would return, close to everything, beach is not special but keys do not have lots of beach ... have lots of their own bars and food to offer we just tried the bar

Room Tip: we stayed along side street which was quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Southernmost Hotel? Share your experiences!