The Southermost on the Beach was our most disappointing hotel experience ever. We had carefully chosen our hotel in Key West and read numerous reviews on Tripadvisor and this clearly sounded - and looked - like one of the best. One of the reasons we chose it was that it had direct beach access and rooms with Ocean view. But when we got there, we decided, within two hours, to leave the following day instead of staying for three nights, as originally planned. We were disappointed for the following reasons:
1. Clearly, the website misrepresents the hotel. Some pictures (e.g. those of the beach) have almost certainly been photoshopped. The beach is, in reality, extremely dirty, and it is, actually, a public beach, so expect to find it much fuller than what you would hope for. Since it is also very small, it feels crammed and uncomfortable. There is seaweed all along the shore and we also noticed an unpleasant smell of dead or rotten fish. See attached photos to get a better picture of the real beach.
2. The hotel claims to offer access to two beaches, but the second is actually only a totally artificial one - a part of the hotel's garden covered with sand, with some deckchairs and a "tanning pier" - all quite nice looking, but not a real beach.
3. The hotel, overall, rather feels like a high-end motel, as most buildings have a large parking on the ground floor (underneath the rooms) and guests can access their room by car. Convenient if you are on a road trip, but really not what you expect from a 400 to 500 USD a night "resort". See attached photos.
4. Room privacy is very limited as the balconies are stuck next to each other. In addition, our room (in building A) was extremely noisy, as there seemed to be some glass and waste collection point just behind it (see photo), so that we were woken up at 6am by a waste removal van, after also hearing the glass container being emptied (very noisy as well) the night before around 11pm.
5. One of the hotel requirements is that every "child under 25" should be accompanied by a "responsible adult" over 25. You would expect that this means that the resort is likely to be mostly adult only, maybe with a few families only. However, the swimming pool was buzzing with children playing and running around it.
6. The only reason why we are not giving the hotel a 1 out of 5 is that most staff were friendly and helpful (at reception and concierge desk in particular), this does not apply to the host at the "beach" restaurant though. It is quite sad, however, to see that in spite of mentioning all the points above at check-out and in the hotel survey, nobody has apologized so far nor offered us any kind of compensation.
In summary, this is definitely a totally overrated hotel, It does not seem worth paying up for a hotel in Key West as standards are low and prices are high, as those hotels seem to expect tourists to come anyway. Make sure you avoid the Southernmost and see our attached photos to get a better and more real picture of it.
Dont choose any room - just stay away from this hotel. If you do really need or want to stay there t...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very sorry to read that you were unsatisfied with your stay at the Southernmost on the Beach. Living on a small island such as Key West can prove to have its challenges where space is concerned. I am sorry the waste disposal vehicles awoke you on the 3rd. Our resort is actually one of the few that offers access to a beach just steps away and while it is a public beach, our guests are offered complimentary lounge chairs and our private tanning beach allows our guests a serene and peaceful option with access to the water from our private lounging pier. The tides, currents and winds can cause sea grass to wash up on the shorelines of Key West and twice daily we attempt to combat this with removal of the debris. Between the months of January and May we experience our “busy season” and find that many different travelers choose to enjoy our extensive resort. We have many guests celebrating special occasions such as weddings, family vacations or reunions, romantic getaways, engagements, college break and many others; requiring adults to be responsible for their children under 25 is in no way meant to imply that we do not have families with children that stay with us. We stress this requirement for the safety of children and adults alike as our greatest concern is for the safety and enjoyment of each and every guest. I apologize also that you were not contacted regarding the issues you raised at check out or via our survey and I will be sure to look into this matter personally. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.