“This Hotel Was A Nice Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 15%
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Marlton, New Jersey
“This Hotel Was A Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I wanted to surprise my wife for her 40th birthday because she had never been to Key West, FL. I stressed about what was the best hotel and location to stay at because I wanted something really nice, convenient, not too crazy (this hotel is on the quiet side of Duval), but access to the hot spots. We were greeted as we arrived with a very friendly and welcoming staff. The room I booked was perfect (West Lawn- Ocean View) because it had great views, was updated/newer and was very clean. We enjoyed the pool and thought the beach was "ok" (if you goto Key West you are not going for the beach, but atleast the hotel had a beach). The location is right at the Southernmost Point and we walked everywhere really easily and had access to good local resteraunts, shopping, the bar/party area and the marina area. We loved the ability to come back to the room, relax etc when needed; My wife had spa services and really thought the staff was friendly and did a great job. The spa itself is pretty simplistic and not alot "glitz" to what I have seen at the spas we typcially visit, but it was clean and small. The staff was friendly, and we found everyone to be welcoming, except for one bartneder at the Shores Bar that worked the day we arrived on Janaury 10th. I had compared this hotel to the Westin Sunset Key which was 2-3 times the price, but after going to dinner at the Westin, we thought the people at the Westin were a little too stuffy/pompous for us, We liked the casual atmoshpere, value and freedom this hotel provided us.

Room Tip: West Lawn Ocean View
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Polish first
Baar, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

A nice hotel, friendly staff, beautiful views and a great beach with a cafe. The sunsets from the balcony was awesome! We enjoyed our stay a lot, but the hotel itself not out outstanding, but still very good. The Southermost Cafe is great!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost on the Beach, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I have to agree that the sunsets down here are absolutely amazing. Our award winning Southernmost Beach Café offers beautiful ocean front dining and another venue to watch those beautiful sunsets with a diverse and delicious menu. Our commitment to exceptional customer service is the rule we live by and I am happy you found our staff friendly, our hotel nice and our Café great. I hope if your travels should ever bring you back to Key West you will give us another chance to impress and pamper you. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Southermost on the Beach was our most disappointing hotel experience ever. We had carefully chosen our hotel in Key West and read numerous reviews on Tripadvisor and this clearly sounded - and looked - like one of the best. One of the reasons we chose it was that it had direct beach access and rooms with Ocean view. But when we got there, we decided, within two hours, to leave the following day instead of staying for three nights, as originally planned. We were disappointed for the following reasons:

1. Clearly, the website misrepresents the hotel. Some pictures (e.g. those of the beach) have almost certainly been photoshopped. The beach is, in reality, extremely dirty, and it is, actually, a public beach, so expect to find it much fuller than what you would hope for. Since it is also very small, it feels crammed and uncomfortable. There is seaweed all along the shore and we also noticed an unpleasant smell of dead or rotten fish. See attached photos to get a better picture of the real beach.
2. The hotel claims to offer access to two beaches, but the second is actually only a totally artificial one - a part of the hotel's garden covered with sand, with some deckchairs and a "tanning pier" - all quite nice looking, but not a real beach.
3. The hotel, overall, rather feels like a high-end motel, as most buildings have a large parking on the ground floor (underneath the rooms) and guests can access their room by car. Convenient if you are on a road trip, but really not what you expect from a 400 to 500 USD a night "resort". See attached photos.
4. Room privacy is very limited as the balconies are stuck next to each other. In addition, our room (in building A) was extremely noisy, as there seemed to be some glass and waste collection point just behind it (see photo), so that we were woken up at 6am by a waste removal van, after also hearing the glass container being emptied (very noisy as well) the night before around 11pm.
5. One of the hotel requirements is that every "child under 25" should be accompanied by a "responsible adult" over 25. You would expect that this means that the resort is likely to be mostly adult only, maybe with a few families only. However, the swimming pool was buzzing with children playing and running around it.
6. The only reason why we are not giving the hotel a 1 out of 5 is that most staff were friendly and helpful (at reception and concierge desk in particular), this does not apply to the host at the "beach" restaurant though. It is quite sad, however, to see that in spite of mentioning all the points above at check-out and in the hotel survey, nobody has apologized so far nor offered us any kind of compensation.

In summary, this is definitely a totally overrated hotel, It does not seem worth paying up for a hotel in Key West as standards are low and prices are high, as those hotels seem to expect tourists to come anyway. Make sure you avoid the Southernmost and see our attached photos to get a better and more real picture of it.

Room Tip: Dont choose any room - just stay away from this hotel. If you do really need or want to stay there t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very sorry to read that you were unsatisfied with your stay at the Southernmost on the Beach. Living on a small island such as Key West can prove to have its challenges where space is concerned. I am sorry the waste disposal vehicles awoke you on the 3rd. Our resort is actually one of the few that offers access to a beach just steps away and while it is a public beach, our guests are offered complimentary lounge chairs and our private tanning beach allows our guests a serene and peaceful option with access to the water from our private lounging pier. The tides, currents and winds can cause sea grass to wash up on the shorelines of Key West and twice daily we attempt to combat this with removal of the debris. Between the months of January and May we experience our “busy season” and find that many different travelers choose to enjoy our extensive resort. We have many guests celebrating special occasions such as weddings, family vacations or reunions, romantic getaways, engagements, college break and many others; requiring adults to be responsible for their children under 25 is in no way meant to imply that we do not have families with children that stay with us. We stress this requirement for the safety of children and adults alike as our greatest concern is for the safety and enjoyment of each and every guest. I apologize also that you were not contacted regarding the issues you raised at check out or via our survey and I will be sure to look into this matter personally. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel really didn't live up to our expectations.
Staff - grumpy and unhelpful.
Rooms – mediocre and don’t pay extra for ocean view rooms! Particularly if you are unlucky enough to get a ground floor room.
Surroundings - nice gardens and pool
We had a week at the end of our Honeymoon staying here. We had booked and paid extra for an ocean view room which from the pictures looked amazing. It looked as though you had a balcony/veranda with open views of the ocean. However the reality was that we had a dark downstairs room and could hardly see the ocean. In addition to this there was an awful smell of what we thought was damp. We mentioned this to reception, who reluctantly offered to move us to another downstairs room (they said there were no upstairs rooms available). This room also had a similar odour although not quite as strong. Reception said that they could use a machine to ‘clear the room’. All throughout these discussions they did not come to check the smell and were very dismissive of the issue. We went back to the room, and discovered ourselves that the odour was coming in from the aircon unit (at the back of the building we saw that the ventilation was covered by plants which probably caused the problem!) and therefore the machine would have been pointless as the smell would return as soon as the aircon unit was turned back on. Basically the hotel just didn’t want to know, but we were determined not to stay in a smelly, dark, damp room! After a lot of refusing to stay in the room, and about 3 hours later, they magically found us an upstairs room. Not the best start to the final part of our honeymoon!
Although the upstairs room was not as bad, it wasn’t at all what we expected. The ocean view rooms do not have their own balcony – it’s a walkway with shared balcony’s every few rooms, so if you have your curtains open, you’re constantly seeing people walking directly in front of your window going to and from other rooms – this is worse on the downstairs, as not only do you have more people walking past, your daylight is also restricted from the walkway above. Had we have known these things we certainly wouldn’t have paid extra for such a room, we would have paid less for a room with a bit more privacy and it’s own balcony.
All in all the rooms were definitely not as good as we were led to believe from the brochures, but even more annoyingly were the staff (Richard in particular) who were surly, unhelpful and made customers feel like they were an inconvenience. Therefore we would definitely not recommend this to anyone, but if you do book, don’t bother paying extra for special rooms!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost on the Beach, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I would like to extend my apologies that your stay with us during your honeymoon was less than spectacular. I want to assure you that our employee’s main concern whenever an issue arises is the comfort and wellbeing our guests, they always come first. I read in the notes of your reservation that our front desk agent was able to find you a room on the second floor of the original building you were booked into and provided you with breakfast for 2 at our award winning Southernmost Beach Café as a form of apology for the inconvenience you experienced. I want to assure you that the issues brought to our attention were addressed and resolved. Again, I am very sorry your experience with us was less than absolutely wonderful for your special occasion and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I came to stay in Key West because I participated in the Ragnar running relay from Miami to Key West. I fell in love with the whole resort immediately. We stayed in a double queen room with an ocean view. The room was very spacious and had a nice balcony. Everyone on the compound was very friendly. The 25-yd endless pool was never too crowded and I loved swimming laps in it. Right at the pool they have free coffee 24 hours a day--yay! I switched off between hanging out at the pool and the beach--both great options. The hotel offered daily classes you could participate in. For $20 I got to take my first attempt at paddleboarding for an hour. It was great. Everything (i.e., Duval St) was easily in walking distance from the hotel. Their cafe on the beach had good food and good cocktails. This was really a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I'd go for a room with an ocean view. I ended up staying an extra night solo and had a puny que...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great hotel and a great experience! This is my 3rd year in Key West and second time staying at Southernmost.

Staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the area. My room was fantastic! We had two rooms... One at Southernmost on the beach and another one at the Southernmost Hotel. The hotel room at the Southernmost was even larger and nicer than mine on the beach! Of course I had the killer sunset view right from my balcony and was right next to the pool. That made it well worth every penny.

Excellent hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We came as tourists from overseas and this hotel gives you exactly what you want for a key west holiday. Beautifully appointed rooms and stunning view from the beach and private wharfs. Forget Mallory sq the best sunset in town was sitting on the private pier in a lounge chair and drinking a cocktail...perfect!

The pool area is small and often crowded which would be the only downside but really the best view and relaxing areas are on the pier and beach. Only other complaints would be the laundry wasn't operational and there didn't appear to be a business centre or computer facility. But free wifi was great.

Location is great and the best way around town is to hire a bicycle for $15 dollars for the whole day which can be picked up on site. Great way to get around town easily as parking in town is a nightmare.

Also highly recommend the on site restaurant in the beach. Good food, great service and very reasonably prices.

Overall the hotel was just what we were after. Very relaxing and wish we stay another couple of days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost on the Beach, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I’m so pleased you found your time with us exactly what you wanted for a Key West Holiday. I would like to apologize that the laundry facilities were down at our Southernmost on the Beach location, I hope someone directed you to the laundry facilities on our property the Southernmost Hotel across the street. Both our Southernmost on the Beach lobby and Southernmost Hotel lobby are equipped with business centers where our guests can easily access the internet, check their emails and print boarding passes complimentary. In addition we offer free wireless internet access allowing our guests to use their mobile devices and laptops in the comfort of their own room. I do hope that when you return to us in the future you allow yourself those few additional days you wished you had this time so we can pamper and spoil you just a little bit longer. Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Southernmost on the Beach? Share your experiences!