“Very nice place to stay in Key West” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 15%
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Tampa, FL
“Very nice place to stay in Key West”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Southernmost on the Beach for our Anniversary in late November. The location is great because it is on the quiet side of Duval street. We did not have a car during our stay and had no problem walking to everything including restaurants and other points of interest. We stayed in the C Building with a lawn view overlooking the water. Sunset was right off our deck! Rooms are not quite as large as expected, but they are up to date and well maintained. The cleaning staff was friendly and accommodating. The bar staff at The Shores were great, very friendly and helpful. The pool area is a little small, but adequate. There is a great sun deck and sandy area on the back of the property that is quiet and relaxing. The only issue we had was a lack of bar/food service while at the back of the property. However, it was rectified by management once it was brought to their attention. Not all rooms in the A and B buildings have great views of the water. So if that is important to you, be sure to ask. All rooms in the C Building are water front, but the second floor rooms have the best views. I would recommend this property as one of the best places to stay in Key West. Most other properties do not have the waterfront views or beach access.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Guest Relations Manager at Southernmost on the Beach, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our property. I am so pleased you enjoyed your anniversary with us. We love to celebrate our guests’ special occasions! Our pavilion area by the ocean is a recent addition to our resort and there are plans to have more convenient food and beverage service for our guests there very soon. Thank you for recommending us as one of the best places to stay in Key West and we look forward to pampering you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Polish first
Pensacola, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The keylime pie was out of this world !!! If you want to relax in a hammock you can,watch the sunset into the gulf or watch it rise out of the atlantic its simply a amazing place to stay. The best part is you can get on the trolly right out in front of the hotel we never drove did alot of walking though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel has a number of pools, great staff , wonderful rooms and is within walking distance of all sights and restaurants. My wife and I were there in August and had a lovely time. The one drawback for us was that most of the other guests in the pools were singles and were loudly socializing. Also in the street at night singles way outnumbered couples, especially people our age (in our 60's). In retrospect we much perferred some of the other Key islands that were much more laid back and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for our 15th Anniversary. Nice location, close to everything. Rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean. I am very picky and was not disappointed with any part of our stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

When we got married ten years ago we didn't get a honeymoon. We always said for our tenth anniversary we would leave the kids for a few days and get that trip we never had. I booked Southernmost on the Beach and crossed my fingers that we would get our money's worth as well as the great time we were looking for.

We got there about half an hour before check in time and were pleasantly surprised when our room was ready for us immediately, complete with the champaign and chocolate covered strawberries we ordered. With it was a lovely card wishing us a Happy 10th Anniversary. As soon as we checked in we put on our suits and headed to the pool bar, Shores, for a drink and some relaxation. We got there just in time for the Newlywed Game. It was so much fun!! Boomer was great and we were thrilled when we won. It was the perfect start to the trip.

The poolside activities were perfect the entire time. From the amazing live music, to watching my husband try to hula hoop, to Boomer and Greg being so friendly...it was all perfect. Another employee who really went above and beyond was Julie, the concierge. She was extremely helpful and sweet. Even though the hotel was mostly full for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, it never felt crowded. There were always chairs by the pool or an open hammock.

My one piece of advice would be to consider waiting to book any excursions with Fury while you are there. We had the Sea of Love package that included the champaign, strawberries, a sunset cruise and the ultimate adventure with Fury. We found out after we were there that Fury was running a special and we could have saved about $50.

The location was also great. We walked up to Duval every night, hit the bars, saw a drag show...did the whole nightlife...and then walked right back down Duval to the quiet end to the hotel. No noise, no drunk craziness...it was PERFECT!

I seriously can't wait to go back to Southernmost on the Beach again. It was everything I dreamed of and will never feel cheated out of a honeymoon again. I just had to wait a little while to find the perfect place!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel is located very close to the much quieter southern end of Duval St. With two kids, we had a "partial ocean view" room, and it was indeed that...from the balcony, we had a clear view down the gardens to the sea - very pleasant and actually quieter than the rooms right on the seafront. Room was spotlessly clean, good layout and a fine size for four of us. As the hotel says on its website, you do not pay for extras such as parking, wifi, resort activities, etc. and although that presumably gets added into the upfront price, at least you do not get a surprise when you leave. Any interaction we had with the staff was very friendly and professional.

The hotel has a good sized heated pool with a bar, live music (Gerd Rube was really good), food, etc. and a happy hour from 4-7 in perfect time for sunset. They also have lots of activities for kids and adults, although we didn't join any.

Although in a quiet spot, right on the sea front, everything such as restaurants (that is another review) is an easy walk.

Highly recommend this place and will be back ASAP.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We drove down to Key West after our annual Disney pilgrimage this year. We were celebrating our 15th anniversary. This hotel was very nice. The room was spacious and clean and the decor was very much Key West chic. Very comfortable beds with premium bedding and pillows. No bathtub but a very large shower. Be prepared for low water pressure however. Taking your shower will require some patience. A very large flat screen TV and lots of drawers made it very easy to unpack everyone. Our room had a nice partial view of the ocean but mostly faced the garden area which was lushly landscaped. You could easily just relax on your balcony or in your room with the windows open and let the ocean breezes put you to sleep. I was particularly pleased with the fact that this hotel didn't "nickel and dime" us from every angle. Parking and beach chairs were included. (Parking in Key West is nearly impossible and expensive. The tour buses are pricey too $25 per person and you can hop on and off all day long but when you've got three in your party $75 bucks is a lot to pay for a ride down 15 blocks. Leave your car here if you can and walk down to the other side of the island).
Southernmost does have its own private beach (which is somewhat misleading because you can't even access the water from it - it is elevated) but it is fine for sunbathing and relaxing. The pool looked fun with a nice poolside bar. BTW, drinking here is expensive. Buy a bottle at the local grocer and mix your own in your room. Two mixed drinks served in throw away plastic cups at the pool bar-$20.
Dining in Key West is challenging if you have a picky eater, which we do. I'll review some of our dining choices later. The Southernmost Cafe affords nice views overlooking the public beach. I found the food to be OK but I only gave it one try. They offer specials for happy hour but you have to sit in the back of the restaurant at the bar or at bar tables.
The public beach which is sandwiched right next to the hotel and its cafe has the water access you may seek but it also has the public (which for the most part means anything goes) so if you're shy or have young children, you may not want to expose them to the occasional topless sunbather or the old timer wearing only a "string pickle sheath."
We had our "special" 12 year old with us so we didn't spend time on the public beach.
We did walk down the two blocks to the southernmost point and take pictures with the black, red and yellow buoy which is tradition. We also visited the buoy just after sunset where you can surely find someone playing guitar and singing something soothing. (These islanders know how to make a buck on everything).
While It is quite a truck down to all the action on the other side of the island it is nice to be away from all the noise when you're ready to sleep. There are so many shops and restaurants along the way you won't really notice how far you've walked. Unfortunately though, if you party on one end of the island with the intent to walk back to Southernmost (and you're like me with a very active bladder) you will find it nearly impossible to locate a restroom along the walk. We dined at A&B Lobster House and I found myself in some trouble trying to find a place along the walk home to use the restroom. I first stopped at a camera shop along Duval and the "less than helpful" young lady sitting behind the counter told me I could try Wendy's a couple of doors down. Of course, once I got to Wendy's, the bathrooms were locked and for "customers only." This young lady obviously knew that already but just wanted to get rid of me and get back to her iphone. Keep in mind now that I am a 51 year old woman who simply had too much tea at dinner; not a stumbling drunkard. I then tried an ice-cream shop which claimed it had no restroom either. No public restrooms anywhere to be found. When I saw Starbucks, I thought, of course they have one. The server told me it was in the hotel lobby and pointed me towards a door to access same. I went only to find that the hotel lobby bathroom was accessible only with a room key. Starbuck boy...you knew that already didn't you.
Finally, when I was passing Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, my husband asked if he bought a drink could his wife use the restroom. The young lady told him of course, you don't even have to buy a drink. She and her manager both seemed shocked when I told them that I had tried three other places with no success. So...beware Key West shopkeepers and vendors do not want you to use their facilities unless you are buying something from them...never-mind that you are there contributing to their local economy....with the exception of course...Mr. Buffet's.
All in all, Key West is for drinking, partying and dining. I'm originally from N.O. so I can tell you it is very much like the French Quarter which of course I haven't been to in several decades.
No real beaches to speak of if you're used to places like Sandestin or Panama City Beach.
This place would be great for couples or singles but kids will get bored. If you visit Key West, this hotel is probably the absolute best on the island. I would highly recommend staying here. Three nights for a partial ocean view with balcony will run you about $800.

Room Tip: Sometimes it can be hard to get our "special" boy out of the hotel room and on the beach i...