“Can't comment on the hotal but Galleon Boat Rentals at the Resort Marina - what an idiot!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Galleon Resort And Marina

and 1 more site!
You added Galleon Resort And Marina to your Saves list
Galleon Resort And Marina
617 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Key West
miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

I treated my sister, my neice and her two friends to a week in Key West for their last spring break from college. I wanted to rent a small boat to run out to the reef and snorkel and then head to the sandbar and relax and have a cocktail. The winds were blowing hard at 20 to 25 on Sunday and were scheduled to lay down a bit on Tuesday. My sister and I were referred to Galleon boat rentals and visited their kiosk at the marina at Galleon Resort. I explained that I had my own 21 ft boat and I had been a Coast Guard captain for over 15 years and I was concerned about taking their 22 foot rental out in these winds; however, if the winds laid down I would be interest in renting the boat on Tuesday. Keith, the person at the Kiosk, agreed that being safe was the best course of action and he joked that keeping his customers safe increased repeat business. Tuesday morning that winds were already at 20 by the time the marina opened. We showed up 10 minutes after they opened and advised them we would not be renting the boat due to the winds. Keith, the person in charge, agreed the winds were too high and we agreed to shoot for Wednesday. Wednesday morning came and the winds were again at 20 by 9:00am and forecasted to increase to 30. No one in their right mind would take a 22 ft boat out in 30MPH winds. When we called to explain we would not be taking the boat for the day on Wednesday due to the winds, Keith immediately began yelling at me saying he had "reserved" the boat for two days and we were obligated to take it. "reserverd" is hysterical because there was not one other reservation for the entire day for ANY of his boats for Tuesday or Wednesday. Additionally, why did he agree that 20mph was too much on Tuesday but suddenly 30mph was fine on Wednesday? I think he just got up on the wrong side of the bed, or perhaps he works on commission and realized that the winds were ruining his check for the month. I have no idea what prompted his outburst but it was completely unprofessional and innappropriate. My main concern is that he would send some unsuspecting tourist out in his rental boats in high winds just to make a buck with NO concern for their safety. Fortunately I knew better but what about those northerners who take their lake boats out once a year and think they can handle Key West sand bars and breakers in 30MPH winds?

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We had one of the penthouse suites. The issue with the Galleon Resort was that the front desk staff were very rude and unhelpfull with just about every request. We had three couples staying in a 3 bedroom suite, and they only allowed a parking pass for 1 vehicle. The pool area and bar were excellent. Very rude front desk staff was our major complaint.

• Stayed March 2009
Grand Rapids mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

stayed in a "lockout" in E bldg,,,,rented from an indiviual...everything excellant, surprised we got dialy linen service on a weekly rental,,,everything up-to-date, kitchennette nice,,,hated only the low pressure showere heads...pool and staff were good,,views were amazing....can't imagine a better value on the island!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

No Car Needed; we can walk to every attraction in Key West. Water sports on site. 3 blocks to Mallory Square for sunset celebration or roof top observation deck afforts a great view of sunset, Sunset Key, and all of Key West. Two blocks to Duval and all the craziness of Key West, but the place is quiet and as secluded as any place in Key West. Great Hot Tub and Fitness room. Pool is relaxing temperature to float all afternoon. Tables with umbrellas make it great to read a book by the pool. Tiki bar and dock side cafe offer Tapas as well as lunch type food. Definate A++ for Key West.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We stayed there for two weeks over the Christmas holidays and loved it. The location is outstanding and the staff was extremely helpful and curteous. We traded in from RCI for a two bedroom suite. Large, clean, and comfortable; with meals on the balcony overlooking the water making the vacation. After reading two of the negative reviews we were hesitant, but friends raved about this place so we tried it. The entire resort was spotless. Would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

I was a bit leary to stay here after reading some reviews but had heard from friends of friends who live in Key West that this was the place to stay. There were 4 of us adults traveling and had a 2br unit booked. The check in process was a little longer than expected but we were happy to be in Key West so we didn't care. The gentleman who checked us in was very gracious and helpful about things to do on the island. There was a concierge on property but we never got a chance to meet with her.

Upon entering the unit, we were ecstatic to find that everything was more than we had anticipated. It was like having your own home as it had a full size kitchen which helped save some money for nights out on the town drinking. Our unit faced the marina which was nice as we spent a couple of evenings eating out on the balcony watching the boats come in.

Everyone that we talked to around the pool seemed happy about being there. The location can't be beat! Not sure where these bad reviews came from as the room was clean and everyone was pleasant and its close to the main street of Key West where all the action happens.

We'll be back in a few weeks to attend a wedding and look forward to our trip back!

The only bad part of the trip was having to leave.

• Liked — The large unit
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at the Galleon on December 9th - 13th. Our wedding was on the 13th and I contacted the Galleon in June to see if we could book the observation deck for our ceremony, the assistant mangager told me he would put through my request and get back to me with an answer and pricing. He never called me back I called to check the status 6 times no one would talk to me about it and kept putting me into vociemail. I also called to see if we could up grad our room to a room with a balcony. When I go the call to upgrade I could understand what the customer service person was saying because his english was so bad so I just said yes I want the room thinking that they knew I wanted a balcony room. I called back later to confirm that it was a balcony room and they said yes. When I arrived we had a room with no balcony and a window facing the elevator wall. I called they told me that I made the mistake and still charged me for the "upgrade". Needless to say it was completely disappointing stay especially for a my wedding. My family and I will NEVER stay again with such rude people and horrible service.

• Liked — The part where I left.
  • Disliked — I have never been treated so badly by customer service especially on my wedding.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Galleon Resort And Marina? Share your experiences!