“a little disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Florida
“a little disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

We picked Eden House for our 10th anniversary for it's advertised beauty, quaintness and peacefulness. While it definitely was clean and landscaped beautifully, we hardly had much of a chance to enjoy it. Due to a group of about 4 rowdy couples and the fact that our room was on the ground floor facing the pool, unfortunately there was a lot of noise. Because the pool is small once you get ten people in it - especially when they are pushing each other around playfully there really isn't much more room for anyone else.
While I probably should have complained about it I felt that the staff should have monitored it much more closely especially when they brought the "happy-hour" tray out - they saw what was going on for themselves.
The staff was very nice but really didn't seemed too concerned about the noise level or everyone's comfort. Since we were on the bottom floor, we heard every noise coming from above. I guess the floors are tiled or wood which caused us to hear every arguement and every walk across the floor and the tremendous amount of furniture movement the people above had to make (for some reason) at late hours in the night and early in the morning. Our next visit this July we're going somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Sarnia Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Eden House and absolutely loved it. I had stayed there about 9 years ago and didn't even hesitate in looking for another place to stay. We went with another couple along with my husband and all stayed in the apartment facing the street which featured a private full length balcony with a porch swing. Everyone was very impressed with the room and service and of course the happy hour at 4pm. The bicycle rentals were wonderful to tour Key West and it is always a pleasure to speak with Mike the owner because you can tell he loves the people and Key West. It was wonderful to walk to Duval Street every night without having to take a cab but it is the surroundings of the Eden House and the friendly staff that are so willing to accomodate that made our vacation so wonderful. I am a full time travel agent and would recommend this property without hesitation! The guys certainly loved the hammocks!

Hope to be back sooner this time
Thank you very much Mike and Lucy (I was the girl that screamed with you about the not so funny joke played on us with the rubber snake!)

Cristel
Ontario Canada

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a week's vacation in the Keys. We were completely undecided where to get away, as we had been to all the "exotic" places one might have on their "wish list." Maui, for me, prior to experiencing the Keys, had been my destination of choice as we had vacationed there several times in the past. We decided we didn't want to spend so much of our time on a plane (coming from Nashville), and we found trip advisor, by far, the most helpful resource in selecting our destination.

After reading countless trip advisor reviews, and using Priceline - we found roundtrip tickets from Nashville to Ft. Lauderdale and a rental car for a week for just a little over $300.00 for the two of us! Can't beat that price especially with gas prices well over $2.00/gallon. With our travel booked, we decided once in Ft. Lauderdale, we'd leisurely drive to the southernmost part of the US - Key West, FL. I was a little reluctant as I had only been there one time (at the age of 6) and my only memory was the 7 mile bridge, and at that age, it seemed a lifetime before I saw land!

Finding a place to stay became a challenge for me after reading good to very ugly reviews of hotels, resorts, B&B's and guesthouses in the Keys, but I kept running across all these wonderful reviews of The Eden House.

I went on their website, and clicked on their webcam several times before booking our reservations. We have always found comfort having been the "resort" type traveler staying at heavily advertised, well-known hotels...so selecting a guesthouse and having only the opinion of other people we didn't know was pretty scary...you just never know what you're getting in to. I kept second guessing these reviews thinking someone put these people up to it to gain advertisement for locations - I guess that's the cynical side of me.

But...long story short - The Eden House and our trip to the Keys was by far the best vacation we have ever experienced. The accomodations and lush surroundings at The Eden House are impeccable; the staff are down to earth "real" people - not your typical starched, uniformed mechanical employees you find at a resort/hotel. This staff truly cares - which you don't find too often these days. They go above and beyond customer service to ensure your vacation is the best.

There are many things to do in the Keys - and a car is just not necessary once you get there - so my advise to you would be to drop your rental off if you drive from Miami or another part of FL...get ready for bike rides, rent a moped, walk, take some boat trips, deep sea fish... (there are plenty of charters to choose from).

The only negative thing that I will say (and this comes from a "southern" raised individual who deals with the public on a daily basis and understands that customer service is paramount to the success of any business) is that a handful of the wait staff at area restaurants and local shops were some of the rudest individuals I have ever run across...I kept thinking, come on people - you're in a beautiful part of the world, you have sun shining on your face every day and you have customers putting money in your pocket! If you're havin' a bad day - don't take it out on the hand that feeds you...

All and all...visit Key West and stay at The Eden House. As I told the staff at Eden when we were checking out...we will be back...and they simply replied with a genuine smile, "we know you will!"

Brooksville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2005

7 or of my closest friends and I booked a weekend package (fun in the sun) four months early for May 6 - 9th with Maggie (who was most helpful) - we were assured that they would be able to accomodate the group with rooms, bikes & snorkel trips as advertised in website. I called one week prior to trip as she suggested to advise of snorkel trip dates - since we were on a limited time schedule we could only book one of the snorkel trips even though we were elegible and paid for two (not a problem for us). Maggie called me back and left a detailed msg that 8 bikes would be ready for us when we arrived on Friday and 8 people were booked for the snorkel trip. When we arrived at check in time at 3pm - only 5 bikes were avail. The very rude girl at the desk (not Maggie) did not seem one bit interested that we have reserved, paid for and confirmed they would be ready when we arrived. She said to check back in a few hours. So we had a drink by the pool and cleaned up for our bike ride to dinner/Mallory square. However at 6:00 - still only 5 bikes. She was trying to tell us how they would be back later that night and that she ahd 5 ready. This did us no good-were we to leave 3 members of our group to walk? I thought we were very understanding about the situation. So we did just that - all walked to dinner & sunset. We even talked to the gentlman at the desk to no eval before we left. He sd we would be compensated to 3 bikes - 1/2 day rental. When we asked if he could help us locate 3 bikes to rent for the evening, he called one place and sd they were all rented too. Not much effort there. Finally after sunset & dinner (10:30 pm) they had the addidtional bikes. Well to say the least we weren't going far on them by then. When we checked out - we all received $1.50 each ($3) checks with just a note "sorry for your hardship" - no explaination -
This incedent did not ruin our trip - the rooms were clean, place was nice, but the customer services was horrible. No one put the newspaper down long enough to help us as the visitor about the bikes, and in the end became defensive and rude. May I add that we all live in Florida and travel to KW a couple of times a year. It just would have been nice if Maggie or someone with management applogized in person to us while we were there - I thought our money was just as green as other tourist. I really don't know if we would return again with so many other guest houses to choose from with what can only be better customer service.

• Stayed May 2005
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2005

Yes we really have travelled here from the UK six times over the last ten years, this time to celebrate our silver wedding,so it is fair to say that we are fans of the place. This year we came with friends and had the 2 bedroom suite for the first time. It was ideal for us having 3 small decks with outdoor furniture, a small indoor sitting area and good bathroom. Some tips:
1. Don't miss happy hour!
2. Try the Half Shell Raw Bar, the Irish pub just along the street and the speciality pasta restaurant about 5 mins walk away
3. Don't go if you are looking for a "corporate" hotel
Just relax and enjoy it.

Brooklyn Park, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2005

Great place! The room was small but clean and comfortable. The shower was large, very nice. The free happy hour was a sweet bonus. Can't say enough about the staff. Thanks for the awesome hospitality!! We will definately be back!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

My wife and I spent only three nights at the Eden house during an independent trip around southern Florida. Both the Eden House and Key West itself were the highlight of an overall great trip. The Eden is superbly situated in the older part of the town and is a well maintained building some of which is new but fits clearly in with it's surroundings. The room we stayed in (a large deluxe) was perfectly suited to the climate providing a cool haven inside with a swing on the balcony out front. Whilst not huge it was an entirely suitable size and furnished perfectly for those not obsessive about hanging clothes etc. The bathroom had an excellent double shower. There is a nice pool area and the free drinks between 4 and 5pm give an indication of the relaxed and comfortable way you are treated by the staff at the Eden. Some earlier comments express disatisfaction with the Eden. I suspect that this is because these people have made the wrong choice. The eden is not for everyone and the owner is quite honest about this on his website. However if you want to dwell in comfort and relaxation the Eden is for you. Lastly I must say that we nearly did'nt go to Key West due to the journey etc. This would have been a major mistake. There is nothing that you can't do on a boat in Key west or if you prefer on a Seaplane!
Finally (really) Cafe Med next to the Eden serves beautiful meals in a truly relaxing way and is a must.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Eden House? Share your experiences!