“Loved Loved it! Missing it Already” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
DIRECT BOOKING SPECIAL
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Key West
Harrisburg, PA
“Loved Loved it! Missing it Already”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

I wish I had provided my review earlier. In addition to going in Dec '08 this was our 2nd time to Eden. First time was May '08 - we just couldn't stay away. We've been going to KW for 20 years and always rent a house or stay in a condo. Once we found this we decided no more searching for the right place - we're going to Eden every time!

The staff make the difference, very welcoming and always helpful. The quiet time is great and you can still stay poolside at night if you like or on a hammock its just a peaceful time. And actually all day its like that. Thankfully when we've been there we've only seen one kid - although she was extremely loud, it wasn't bad. But I would not recommend this personally for children b/c it is a small resort and only has the pool area for them to play. Plus KW overall is an adult destination.

You can rent bikes from the front desk, the taxis are easy to call, you can easily walk to Duval - about 5 blocks and of course lots of other local places around the corner.

I would recommend that you ask for the details of your room when you book it. There are very small rooms at the poolside that are great if you are looking for a cheaper room and just want a bed. But those rooms are tight. There are mutliple types of rooms - private hammocks, porch areas that fit all budgets. The rooms are clean and beds really comfortable.

We've stayed in room #114 which has the hammock outside and is private - plasma TV - great room (pics are attached to the view from that porch). There are three like that. I've also stayed at one of their larger rooms when we had a group and that was the 2nd floor of the cottage room #422. My only recommendation honestly for the Eden at all is that there are so many private areas and foliage, beautfiul flowers/fish, etc except when you take the steps up to go to #422. You look down into the next door area (which may be where some of the staff live - I'm not sure) and its filthy. Looks like a trailer park next to this beautiful resort and outside the windows from the downstairs cottage (don't know the room number) you can see bags of trash, misc garage items, grilles, etc. And although the trash you can see is clearly separated as being part of the "green" for recyclling it should be hidden. Even at home I wouldn't want to see anything like this. Its a small complaint and will certainly not keep me from recommending Eden or going again - I would just warn you if you select the cottage to close your eyes on the way upstairs. I won't stay in that room again but I think they can easily fix this with a higher fence or trash boxes. And who knows, Eden is also one of the few I've seen on Trip Advisor that respond to the reviews which I think is great so maybe they can do something soon about this.

Also, the cottage is also a little louder than the other rooms b/c it is located on the side street. The trolley comes by in the morning for the local tour ringing its bell - its cute but not if you want to sleep in ;-)

One of the rooms to ask about if you can get it - its always booked when we've been there is room #511! Its larger, right off the pool and lots of space inside.

And also don't forget to ask when you make your reservation for a discount - sometimes during the year they give you the 4th night at 50% off or your 7th night free, never guaranteed but worth checking - depends on time of year of course.

And back to the other good stuff - location, staff and the pool is just restful and beautiful. We can't wait to go back this year and bring more friends with us! Don't forget the amazing restaurant next door called Azur and you get a discount as a guest at Eden - I think it was 20% which is great and its wonderful food! While we were there the chef was also featured on the local KW tv channel.

Thanks Mike for great hospitality - it was great meeting you this time too and the staff are always welcoming. Love the happy hour and the welcome bee. ;-) I've attached some pics of the grounds for people to check out.

• Liked — Rooms are great, quiet area - young singles I think great but not spring breakers.
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Didn't get around to writing a review in August when we were there, but they really deserve to hear we loved our stay there. We've gone to Key West for 20 years; first time here. We loved the pool, the hot tub, the parking, the happy hour, and the staff. We received lots of helpful hints, and even coupons! And the restaurant next door was fabulous. Can't wait to get back.

• Liked — parking, hot tub
  • Disliked — no closet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
newport news, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Our second visit to the Eden House was every bit as good as the first--friendly welcome, great service, absolute relaxation. Mike Eden and his staff are laid back but competent, and the grounds are gorgeous: a pool and jacuzzi surrounded by palm trees enclosed perfectly: good by, outside world! Favorite things: the hammocks for reading, and the drink cart every day at 4. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Liked — The peace
  • Disliked — There were no shortcomings--honestly
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
bettymarie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

The Eden House is truly a remarkable place. The first thing that set them apart in my mind was their green business status an accomplishment that suggests the alternative attitude that resulted in the entire enjoyment of my stay.

If you're looking for a place that operates at a slower pace and has a more relaxing vibe then the hustle and bustle of Duvall then the Eden House is for you. There are hammocks outside of every room,a charming decor in the check in area that is humorous (a backward clock and if yr smoking you better be on fire sign),shared big screen in the lounge, a complimentary bar from 4-5, a lovely pool, unpresuming rooms designed with the uptmost attention to detail utilizing space and maximizing comfort, a friendly staff and an at home attitude- oh and I forgot the complimentary sun screen for those of us who "forget".

While staying at the Eden House I felt I was just visiting a friend; the happy hour and lay out of the pool and lounge with the big screen induced conversation amongst guests where you got to learn a little more about one another and just relax together; pick each others brains about where each has eaten and what each has done but if I was ever short on ideas the staff had an array of them and coupons or discounts for many attractions which was a bonus.

Renting bikes was a lot of fun, I initially contemplated a scooter rental but the bikes directly in front of the Eden House looked so inviting and economically feasible that I peddled my way around Key West and loved every minute of the exercise (and filling up the front basket with shopping purchases).

Overall the Eden House was fabulous, more of a place you need to experience before you will understand there's just something about a cold drink in your hand, the sun warming your winter blues, sitting on a cozy hammock that makes time stop (even go backward in the lobby!) and puts everything at ease.

• Liked — The knowledgable staff and conscious attitude.
  • Disliked — Small rooms.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DeWitt MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

The hotel had a fabulous pool and spa area with evening happy hour. There was even a sun deck for those times when the sun was not around the pool. The rooms appeared to be clean, but walking barefoot on the tile floor left us with filthy feet (yuck!). Twice we had to go looking for toilet paper because it was not restocked in the daily cleaning. The hotel was smoke free inside but walking into the front door from the porch always left you with smoke filled lungs, as that was the gathering place for workers and guests who smoked. While the hotel claims to be green, we followed instructions and hung our towels up for re-use and each day they were taken to the laundry anyway.

The location is a ways off Duval, but quiet and secluded. We might stay here again (did I mention the pool and spa area was fabulous?), but it would not be our first choice.

• Liked — pool and spa area
  • Disliked — The cleaning staff missed critical elements of keeping room clean/comfortable
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this review, January 2, 2009
We want to thank 'ALKDewitMI' for his or her review of the Eden House, and
for highlighting these issues. There is no excuse for a room with a dirty
floor. We have prided ourselves on offering a clean room and excellent
value since 1975. The cleaning solution used by house keeping was leaving
a residue on the floors and this has been corrected. Thank you.
Regarding our
Green program, this is new to us and we are still working out the kinks.
We take our commitment to Green operation very seriously and honestly
still have some training issues we are working on. We'll get there, and
are proud of how far we have come so far. Before your comments, I had
requested
the staff to stop smoking on the front porch. Guests will continue to
smoke on the porch
and on the grounds, if they like. No one smokes within the buildings.

Thanks again for the review, and keep 'em coming. We aren't one of Key
West's favorite destinations for nothing, and we appreciate everyone's
feedback to help us stay that way.

Mike Eden and the Eden House staff
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We stayed at Eden House for a week in November. We weren’t quite sure what to expect but were not disappointed by what we found. Eden House was a nice change from the large resorts in the area that we normally visit. The check in process was easy, and yes we did get a welcome drink which is a nice touch. Our room was great. It was one of the apartments which was nicely located beyond the pool at the edge of the property. We had a huge porch area with a swing and a nice table and chairs, very private and a nice place to relax. The pool area is a standout. It was nice not to have to jockey with anyone for a lounge by the pool. I spent a lot of time in the pool and the hot tub and also on the sundeck.
I can’t comment on parking as we go car free when we vacation in Key West. That said, the property is within easy walking distance to many restaurants and places to shop. It was an easy stroll to the Historic Seaport area as well. If you are staying in Old Town there really is little need for a car. Overall we had a really great time at Eden House and will be back again in the future.

• Liked — GGreat pool area and convenient location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Having read the previous reviews on this site, I went to Eden House with high hopes and it may be that was the problem - I expected too much. I've been travelling to the States for quite a few years and have been to a variety of hotels from superb to at best mediocre and this was ... unique. Take that how you may, it simply wasn't what I had expected from the review or the research I had done. The hotel was clean and looks fantastic. The members of staff I saw were pleasant enough and checking in was easy. The off street parking is a real bonus. I'd booked a poolside room and it was literally on the poolside. The room was compact and the bed was extremely uncomfortable and small for what I expected. It had no entertainment facilities e.g. a tv or radio except in a communal 'lounge' which was used as a corridor. The hotel has a request that quiet is observed between 10pm and 10am and I was therefore extremely disappointed to be woken at 7.30am by a suitcase being dragged along the poolside and the lively chatter of a member of staff directly outside my room. The restaurant next door was extremely good if expensive. I'm probably not being particularly eloquent but I was disappointed in the Eden House experience - not as relaxing or of the quality I had led myself to believe.

• Liked — Look of the hotel
  • Disliked — Noise and discomfort of bed
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Eden House? Share your experiences!