“Oasis of calm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Dorset, UK
“Oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

What a fantastic hotel this is. After a disastrous start to our holiday (in South Beach) we arrived at Eden House to an oasis of calm. Friendly staff showed us around and gave us a drink to welcome us. The hotel has a colonial feel to it - lots of verandas and fans and plenty of shady areas to escape from the hot sun. The room was compact but everything was lovely. Great shower and good quality towels. The bed was so comfortable and with a ceiling fan as well as a/c we slept really well. The pool was wonderful and plenty of sunbeds here and on the sun deck. Happy Hour each day provided FREE drinks! They really know how to treat their guests. We also made use of the hammocks in the shade for an afternoon siesta. The hotel has a great feel to it - just like being someone's guest in their home - lots of trust. It was just a short walk to the main area of Key West (Duval Street) and very safe to walk around at night. Had a brilliant breakfast in their restaurant next door and would have eaten there in the evening if we had stayed longer. We only booked 1 night originally but stayed for 3 before moving on. Would definitely recommend and go back again another time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

my second time in Key West within 4 months, I decided to stay elsewhere for the cheaper price. Due to a medical emergency, my daughter and I had to be taken to the hospital and I ended up canceling the other hotel not knowing if i would be able to get out of the hospital on time. Upon the discharge from the hospital, it was difficult to find a room, because it was spring break, but luckily I was able to get one at Eden House and since I had such a great time here before, I ended up staying here with my daughter and again, the place did not disappoint. Wonderful property, staff, pool, cozy rooms. Simply no other places I would ever stay in other than the Eden house if i'm ever back to Key West. 2nd experience and just as wonderful as the first. An absolute favorite, especially if you can splurge and get a large cottage-like room with a refrigerator, large bathroom and a view to the pool. A gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: if you can splurge, the large cottage facing the pool is wonderful, large and clean. Large kitchen...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Very eclectic place just like the town it's in. How can you not like a hotel that offers you a cold beer upon arrival, has comfortable porch chairs for people-watching or reading, and a relaxing pool area for sunning or star-gazing. The room was clean and basic with some fun touches. I believe some of the rooms have a bathroom setup that doesn't provide much privacy, but ours was okay. I love the neighborhood but be prepared a little walking to get to transportation or tourist areas. But the ferry and marina are just a few blocks away. We also ate in the restaurant that was unexpectedly short-staffed that day but managed to serve a very good meal.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New Bern, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This hotel claims to be Key West's original hotel, built back in 1924. The original art deco hotel building is joined by several renovated conch houses. It rambles about through the larger original hotel, across a small canal and into lower buildings across a courtyard with a swimming pool. The feel and atmosphere of the place is pure original Key West.
The location on Fleming St. is in a quiet residential area but only five blocks from Duval St., the commercial heart of Key West. The rooms vary quite a bit . Never having stayed there, we ended up in a tiny space our first night, with barely room to walk around the bed. It did have a separate bath which connected to another tiny room that rented separately. Fortunately, we could rent that room also that night, which gave us space to put our bags and unpack. Since we were staying there another night, we upgraded to a room facing the pool, opposite the old hotel building we were in. This new room was about four times the size of our first one and, of course, more expensive. So be precise about what size room you want.
The staff was continually friendly and most helpful through all this. If you want old Key West and a quiet place, this is for you.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms if there is more than one of you.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Spent 3 nights here recently...much more relaxing atmosphere than the big chain hotels with all the same amenities.. Room was clean and comfortable .. Hotel has only two floors most rooms open to the pool hot tub area, their deck network weaves around the four buildings with alcoves of couches and hammocks with a great canopy of Palm trees.. Outstanding place for an afternoon siesta.. Staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful...parking was onsite and only 5 blocks to duval and the busy nightlife.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
central NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were extremely pleased with our choice to stay at the Eden House in Key West. From start to finish the staff were excellent, the grounds were beautiful, the location was great, and our room was perfect! We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 403, which is one of the apartments and it was PERFECT!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I love the Eden House. I have stayed here about 10 times in the last 15 years, and loved every stay. I've stayed in many of the rooms, but my favorite room is 502, I like to sit on the front porch in the swing chair and drink cafe con leche in the morning or wine in the evening. I always rent a bike from the front desk for my stay, and ride up and down the side streets of Key West in the moonlight or through the cemetery in the day looking for lizards. I like to sneak a dip in the pool or hot tub late at night (very quietly.)
I can definitely see how the Eden House might not be for everyone or every situation. It isn't a high end luxury hotel. It isn't fancy. It is a low key, funky, locally run, small eclectic place. It is what it is, and for some of us, it is just perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Eden House? Share your experiences!