“you gotta be kidding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
North Port, Florida
“you gotta be kidding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

I've stayed at the Duval several times and in many different rooms. Not sure if #17 was one of them or not. While there are
different degrees of rooms, let's get real. The person who complained about their $99 room at the Duval house in December... get real ! You couldn't get a tent site at Boyds Camground in December for $99.
This place is what Key West is all about, if you want Hilton type rooms, go to the Hilton. But giving this place a bad review isn't right.

• Liked — Key West Feeling, the location, the pool.
  • Disliked — 10 buck to park
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

My boyfriend and I travelled to Key West 2 weeks ago and did not book any accommodation before arrival. We went to the visitors center and asked for any good hotel deals. They straight away offered us the Duval House at US$ 109 incl bfast per night. The brochure looked nice so we booked 2 nights. Upon arrival we were given the choice of 2 different rooms, one with its own balcony and a small bathroom with shower and another room with a shared balcony, large bathroom with bath, four-poster bed and a small couch. We took the second option, this is room 2 and I advise you to ask for this one when you make a booking!
The a/c is a bit old and makes some noise however this does not keep you up at night.
The champagne breakfast is just lovely. It's served in the pool house. They serve coffee, tea, juice, champagne, several types of cereal, fresh fruit and all kinds of pastries, croissants and bagels.
I am very pleased that I did not read the previous comments before our stay as they might have put me off of staying at Duval House. And that would have been a shame, it was the most romantic placed we stayed at during our travels trough Florida.
Go and stay at the Duval House! The service is great and the rooms are very nice (make sure you book one of the bigger rooms though, as the small rooms really leave no place for moving around).

• Stayed May 2006
Fort Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2006

A group of eight of us stayed at the Duval House. I found no problems with it at all. I have read reviews of hotels all over Key West. Majority of them say "pricey". To me that is what you get in Key West. So I didn't think the Duval House was pricey at all. We plan on doing the same trip again in July for my birthday and plan on staying at the Duval House.

Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

If you are planning a trip to Key West, I highly recommend a stay at The Duval House. We rented the entire B and B for family and friends for our daughter's wedding. They not only met, but exceeded all of our expectations. The rooms are clean, bright and so much fun to stay in. (we all spent alot of time in the rockers out on the deck of our rooms) The service is great and so very friendly! Our family and friends loved their visit to Key West, in part, thanks to the great Duval House atmosphere. So if you are heading to Key West, stop by the Duval House, spent a night or two and say hello to Maureen and Skip for us.

Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2005

This hotel is not a good value at all. The brochure and website pictures are misleading. Our room was miniature with a terrible mattress and a shower that you couldn't move in (see previous reviews of room #17). The room was musty and it was just really junky. We were very near a bar and the loud music blared into our room until after 2:00 am. We got our room for $99 a night and I still felt like we got a rerrible deal. I have had better showers at a KOA campground and the promised champagne breakfast was really skimpy. Also, they nickel-and-dime you on everything, from threatening $93 for a lost key to $45 for a late check-out. I saw other places that looked much better - the Tropical Inn across the street is beautiful and very nice. We enjoyed our stay in Key West in spite of this hotel, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2005
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Duval House this May. We had a wonderful time! Our room was small, but very well appointed, and had French doors that opened onto the garden, and had a small private patio on one side. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, the bathroom nice...everything was great!
The grounds were beautiful. Lush tropical gardens surrounding a beautiful clean pool. Tons of nice iron garden furniture to rest in, a beautiful gazebo, and a 2 person hammock that my husband and I took advantage of everyday for a siesta!
I read some other reveiws that said the rooms were noisy. Our room was not noisy at all. However, the Duval House does have rooms facing Duval Street (which is the busiest street in Key West), so if you stay here, I would suggest to ask for a room with a garden view rather than a street view.
Overall--wonderful place!

• Stayed May 2005
Cleveland, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Duval House for our honeymoon and absoutely hated it. The room was not clean. Toilet was filthy. Our room was tiny and you can hear everything that goes on outside your room. It did not feel private at all. The air conditioner smelled moldy and gave us a headache. The floors were not washed and our white socks got dirty walking across the room. Housekeeping isn't very quick about cleaning the rooms even w/the "clean now" sign on the door. For a B&B the breakfast was horrible. I don't know if I was expecting too much because they call themselves a B&B, but I thought the breakfast should have been better. The cold pastry and weak coffee was not appetizing. We only had the breakfast once since I saw ants by the pastry the first morning. The gardens were OK and the pool nice but the airplanes flying by were very loud. The flight patterns for the airport flew right above Duval House. We couldn't cancel because you need to pay in advance and pay a cancellation fee if you don't stay for your whole reservation. Parking is extra or you need to park in the street. Definitely overpriced. Our honeymoon was not as enjoyable because of our stay at the Duval House. We stayed at the Southernmost Hotel before our wedding which is excellent including free parking. I definitely recommend staying there. We wished we stayed there for our honeymoon as well instead of the Duval House. When we got home I wrote Duval House a letter regarding our complaints. They sent us a 20% off for our next visit, but we will not be staying there again. It would have been nice if we were reimbursed for some of our stay.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to The Duval House? Share your experiences!