“My Favorite Place to Stay in Key West” 5 of 5 stars

The Duval House
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   815 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #63 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“My Favorite Place to Stay in Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have visited Key West maybe a dozen times and the last several times I have stayed at the Duval House. I have found the staff to be completely cooperative, although I know from my last stay that there was some turnover on the desk and sometimes they didn't immediately have the answer to a question. However, they always got back to me as quickly as possible. I prefer to stay in one of the units not on Duval Street since it is located in the heart of a lot of nightlife. Once I go to my room, I want to sleep and sleeping in the front along the street would be a lot noisier. My most recent trip was during Fantasy Fest 2013 and it was the perfect location for all the events and for watching the parade. They also had a dinner catered for all the guests one evening and I think everyone who was staying there ate their dinner at the Duval House that night. I met several people both gay and straight, although the majority of the guests were young to middle age straight couples. Many of the people staying there made their reservations for the 2014 Fantasy Fest before they left. I roomed with a friend in one of their rooms with the new bathroom and it was great. They are remodeling each bathroom one at a time and when it is complete it will be even better. I can't say enough good things about the Duval House at 815 Duval Street. (Do not confuse it with several other places to stay that also have the name Duval in it. This place is by far the best location of any of them.)

Room Tip: Rooms off the street are much better if you want a quiet night. If you like to stay up late and don...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

If, and I mean, IF, you can get them to answer the phone, the front desk clerks cannot assist and always say they're going to have a manager call you back (which they don't). I have had several charges on my credit card from this organization that I did not authorize. I am trying to get someone to contact me regarding them but having no luck. Highly advise against booking here and will make sure I pass my bad experience on to any and everyone I can.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
TheDuvalHouse, General Manager at The Duval House, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
The allegations set forth by Mr. Lockwood are factually challenged. The facts are as follows: on November 5, 2013, Mr. Lockwood placed a reservation for November 14, 2013, via our online booking system, without speaking to anyone at Duval House. NO ONE EXCEPT MR LOCKWOOD processed any charges to his credit card - he did it himself, online. Moreover, prior to electing to have his credit card charged, he made the decision, and took the action of agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth. On completing his online reservation, Mr. Lockwood received a confirmation clearly outlining among other things, the date of the reservation and our cancellation policy. At some point after making his reservation for Nov. 14th online, Mr. Lockwood realized he'd made his reservation a full week after the date he'd intended.

Apparently, on November 5th, when he made his 3-day reservation online for Nov. 14th, he'd actually intended to make it for Nov.7th (a date which, coincidentally was already fully booked and totally unavailable online). Mr. Lockwood was faced with the fact that he was fully responsible for his own error. He was also fully responsible for the Nov. 14th reservation he'd made, and not entitled to a refund of the funds he paid to secure his room, to prevent others from renting it, and to guarantee his arrival fulfillment of his 3-night commitment on Nov. 14th.

Nonetheless, believing this to be an honest mistake, and sympathetic to his situation, we were happy to offer assistance in the form of a security guarantee refund, less a $50 cancellation fee. We made it clear that if Mr. Lockwood did, in fact, fail to arrive on Nov 14th, we would issue a refund of his security guarantee funds, less a $50 cancellation fee. Lacking any appreciation for the fact that we were offering this refund he was not entitled to, and growing increasingly impatient at the need to wait the week, Mr. Lockwood began to barage us with veiled threats, threatening that it was in our best interest to refund his funds.

In our last conversation, when advised his refund was imminent, Mr. Lockwood seemed somewhat apologetic. Per our commitment, on November 14th, one week after being notified of the error Mr. Lockwood made, and the problem he created for himself and for us, we acted in good faith and refunded the security guarantee funds to Mr. Lockwood, charging him, as promised, only the $50 cancellation fee.

The fact that Mr. Lockwood would thereafter go online, divest himself of any responsibility for his own actions, completely distort the circumstances and falsely accuse us of placing unauthorized charges on his credit card is to say, at the very, very least, discouraging. Having previously demonstrated inordinate impatience, we can only surmise that perhaps the refund did not appear immediately enough on his account. If that is the case, it is a matter which is completely governed by his own bank's policy and totally outside of our control. Whatever the reason, it is extremely distressing to realize that the old adage 'No Good Deed Goes Unpunished' is fast becoming today's reality.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in the front cabana room. The room was very nice, however, you can hear the noise from the street and the street lights shined into room, even with the blinds closed. If you are a night owl, you may not mind that. The rest of the grounds were beautiful, will definitely stay again, but would get a room toward the back of the property. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I have been staying at the Duval House about once a year for the past ten years. The staff are friendly, the location is perfect and the accomodations are outstanding! The beautiful courtyard is surrounded with luscious tropical gardens and the pool and gazebo, both in very private settings, make for a truly romantic experience. The continental breakfast is one of the best around and includes Belgian waffles made to order. During our stays over the years, we've met people from around the world who like us, come back to the Duval House every year. The ONLY disappointment is having to leave!!

Room Tip: We've stayed in various rooms over the years and have been more than happy with each of them.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Treasure Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stay in Key West a couple times a year on average, usually at a different hotel. Unfortunately the hotel we usually stay at was booked with a wedding party. Duval House looked nice so we decided we would give it a try based on their website and a couple phone calls. The staff is excellent, very friendly. The courtyard is very nice and relaxing. However the room was very small, compared to other places we have stayed in Key West. The was no closet, dresser, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a 15" screen TV. Literally a bed, a chair, and four walls. The room was 9X12, full size bed and a bathroom a person can barely turn around in. Even had trouble getting fresh towels daily. Overall OK experience, but a bit pricey for what you get...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Really loving morning in the courtyard at the Duval House. Sun is coming up, fountain is trickling a peaceful song. Hard work yesterday. Sweet morning with our Musicians who poured their hearts out for Sumptuous Serenade at Square One for the Symphony's season kickoff. Thank you Kirstin and Carolyn and all your staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Munster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had stayed here before for just one night, this time was a 2-night midweek stay. Thankfully we got there early enough to get parking, which is a bit limited. Great location, a nice leisurely stroll to the busy nightlife on Duval Street but still quiet enough to not interrupt sleep. Although I don't know if the rooms at the front are noisier? The gardens are lovely, offering privacy & places to sit out. The pool was great - so nice to be able to cool down with a refreshing dip in the middle of the heat of day. However, breakfast was only OK - the same as you would get in, say, a Hampton Inn, nothing spectacular. I felt a bit strange that 2 or 3 of the staff would congregate at the counter in the breakfast room in the mornings for coffee and a chat while customers were eating breakfast. Also, while we were there, there was some maintenance being done. I would have liked to be advised of this at check-in. I do not have an issue with this in general, I know it has to be done and the workers were efficient and kept to themselves. However, when one of them is working on something right outside your window for 40 minutes, it's a bit disconcerting.... In saying that, if I am ever lucky enough to get back to Key West I would stay here again. (Oh, an I loved the cat!)

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Duval House? Share your experiences!