“Great Front Desk and Shuttle” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Key Largo, Florida
“Great Front Desk and Shuttle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I did a weekend in Key West, we had stayed here once before and enjoyed our stay. The hotel has been redone and looks great, nothing like some of the pictures that you online. I was remembered as a past guest and a special thanks to Jane with the front desk. Even at check out the staff remembered my name. The room was nice with a fridge and microwave, view of the pool with a small patio. The shuttle driver even remembered us and was very nice as well. I will be staying here every-time I visit Key West. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Worcester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We ALWAYS stay at Marriott's as we are vacation club owners. This Marriott is very deceiving. The lobby was nicely remodeled and a Starbucks too; the room however, is a story within itself.
Let me start by saying the front desk was very helpful, we were given a complimentary upgrade and the room was much bigger then we expected.
The problem was the room had a very funny smell and was outdated, looked like an early 80's hotel. When we walked into our upgrade the first thing we notice is a jacuzzi tub, no curtain, no shutters, or no door, if you wanted to access the tub you would have to close off the other room.
We received a call regarding our room, at that time I asked for more towels, they were never brought up. After coming back from downtown I hoped that they would have been there, at that time I called the front desk and they immediately brought them up.
One more thing it's a low flow toilet shall I say more?
In short if you're looking for a Marriott property and have Marriott expectations this is not the place to stay.

Room Tip: Looks may be deceiving, read reviews! The pictures they are showing is not what you expect!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is our second stay at the Courtyard in Key West, but our first time in a Family Suite. I had reserved a standard two queen room and called to request a Family suite, thank you Jane for making this happen. This particular hotel is a true Courtyard, with a pool, hot tub, and bar within its well landscaped and meticuliously groomed courtyard. Plenty of lounge chairs and a great way to finish off the day after returning from the beach. The pool area is like an oasis of calm and quiet, perfect for relaxation. The room itself featured a whirlpool tub and living room and another room with two queen beds and a bathroom. Both rooms had sliding doors and a balcony overlooking the pool, great for morning coffee. The housekeeping was spotless and we had no issues during our stay. We had a car, so we didn't use the free shuttle to the old town area, but this is a nice amenity in case you want to take advantage of some of the happy hours before the sun sets at Mallory Square. Overall, a great vacation and plenty of family memories helped along by our stay at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms overlooking the pool were quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Beaumont, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this property when it was newer.lobby area has been updated but rooms have not.good parking.Just be aware there is major road construction in front of the building. We had a car to get away and they have a shuttle to Duval area every 30 mins.Stayed at the Marriott Beachside for the first part of this trip but had to move because of no vacancy.Beachside is much nicer property but have to say the staff were well trained and curteous at both properties.Will probably not stay there again till updated.

• Stayed April 2013
1Courtyard1, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Key West Waterfront, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel. I would like to assure you that we are taking major steps in improving our hotel and most importantly improving the overall experience for all our guests. We are making many significant changes during our upcoming room renovation, which includes new carpet in all our rooms. We hope that you will decide to give Courtyard Key West Waterfront another try and check out all the new changes next time you are in the Key West area.
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I just came back from one night in this hotel. Just for background, I am a Marriot Gold Elite (50 nights/yr) member so I know my Marriotts. We drove down to Key West while on vacation in Miami and I figured I could count on a Courtyard. I was wrong.

First the positives:

1. Jessica at the front desk was great!
2. Free shuttle to downtown every 30 min
3. Refurbished lobby area
4. I hear that the guest rooms are being renovated in the Fall

Now the negatives:

1. It appears to be hotel policy to use a very potent smelling room deodorizer every day. In fact, I saw one of the housekeepers spraying it on the carpet when I walked by an open door. This strong chemical "fragrance" has been mentioned on a number of these TA posts. If I would have read them before I would have never stayed here. Both my wife and I are sensitive to fragrances. The staff even offered to use an ozone generator while we were out visiting the town. It did NOTHING to diminsh the smell. After a restless night, we were both up at 4:30 AM so decided to just get out of there. I think I am going to start a grassroots campaign to get all hotels to use fragrance neutral cleaning products. I will call it STOP THE SPRAY! Fellow TA'ers, spread the word

2. The airconditioning is an old wall mounted type. It came on with a sound akin to a jet engine and blew directly on the bed. I had to use a pillow up against my head to block the noise and the cold airflow which was hitting right on me

I am sorry to write a negative about a member of my favorite hotel chain but this place needs a renovation badly. Maybe when they rip up the old sprayed carpets they will change their ways and stop the spraying

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy that your overall experience was positive and encourage you to return for a chance to improve on your impression. When you make a reservation in one of our hotels, ask for a hyper allergic room; whether it is feather free or fragrance free we will be happy to prepare the room as per your request and needs. We are making many significant changes at our property during our upcoming room renovation and your feedback is appreciated and will be considered when making future improvements.
Carmel IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the first time I went for a hotel that wasn't in the upper half of the tripadvisor ratings. My wife, two sons (not kids - 18 and 23) were looking for a place with a little more room that just two separate hotel rooms. We stayed in the two bedroom 'Penthouse Suite'. It certainly was very large - both rooms and the living room were more than we expected. The second bedroom even had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The balcony is much larger than described on the Courtyard site - I believe it said 10 sq feet, but it easily fit two chairs and small table - not huge, but bigger than expected. The main area on the lobby level are great. The rooms were definitely older and a bit worn and outdated. Not terrible, but certainly not brand new. I rarely heard anyone else which was nice. The room also had a kitchen - large mini fridge (oxmoron!) and a microwave. The countertops in the kitchen area were in most need of updating, but were clean and in good condition. A real positive were the ladies that served breakfast - ate there every day. They were genuinely friendly and really cared - made the simple act of getting breakfast fun! And the food was very, very good. Just a note- breakfast is NOT included in your room, but is very reasonable. The pool area is great - can't imagine there's much better in KW. "Noodles" who was working the "Tipsy Pelican" (Tiki Bar) was great too. Made it fun. There's been lots of talk on here about the shuttle bus - yep, easy to get on and good drop-off location. Coming back one night (maybe 8:00), the shuttle bus was loaded beyond capacity - a father and son sharing the front (single seat) of the van, and the daughter having to sit on her mother's lap- these weren't little kids - I'd guess early to mid-teens. It would have been much safer if they just waited until the next pick-up. My wife did bring this to the attention of the front desk - no clue if anything was done about it or not.
So, overall, with us wanting more room, it was a good place to stay. I would have probably gone with an 'above average' if not for the shuttle bus safety.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. I assure you that the problem you mentioned with overloading the shuttle have been addressed accordingly. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue. The shuttle runs every half an hour allowing for a more frequent service than any other area hotel. I am so happy to read that the room was spacious and up to your expectations and that the staff treated you as a Marriott employee should in a fun yet proffesional environment.
Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I live in KW and had some griends visiting the island. I called the hotel to inquire about some rooms. The lady on the other end (Jessica) was so helpful. I travel a lot for work and I work in the customer service industry and must say that she was one of the genuinely nice people...not just being customer service friendly. I was trying to find out information while I was at work so I had to keep hainging up and calling back, but she was so extremly helpful. Even after my friends arrived she helped me arrange a few special things for them. I spent one of the nights with them at the hotel and it was nicely kept and the rooms were better than either my friends or I expected. It may not be noticeable now, because we have some major road construction happening in Key West at the moment, but this is a very nice hotel highly recommended by this local for both the rooms and the customer service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your complimentary comments with us. Every Courtyard employee is trained to provide our customers with the best-possible lodging experience. This includes providing fast and accurate service in a friendly and proffesional hotel environment. We know you have many choices when making your lodging decisions, and we truly appreciate your choosing Marriott.

Been to Courtyard Key West Waterfront? Share your experiences!