“What's that smell?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in Key West
Worcester, Massachusetts
“What's that smell?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We ALWAYS stay at Marriott's as we are vacation club owners. This Marriott is very deceiving. The lobby was nicely remodeled and a Starbucks too; the room however, is a story within itself.
Let me start by saying the front desk was very helpful, we were given a complimentary upgrade and the room was much bigger then we expected.
The problem was the room had a very funny smell and was outdated, looked like an early 80's hotel. When we walked into our upgrade the first thing we notice is a jacuzzi tub, no curtain, no shutters, or no door, if you wanted to access the tub you would have to close off the other room.
We received a call regarding our room, at that time I asked for more towels, they were never brought up. After coming back from downtown I hoped that they would have been there, at that time I called the front desk and they immediately brought them up.
One more thing it's a low flow toilet shall I say more?
In short if you're looking for a Marriott property and have Marriott expectations this is not the place to stay.

Room Tip: Looks may be deceiving, read reviews! The pictures they are showing is not what you expect!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is our second stay at the Courtyard in Key West, but our first time in a Family Suite. I had reserved a standard two queen room and called to request a Family suite, thank you Jane for making this happen. This particular hotel is a true Courtyard, with a pool, hot tub, and bar within its well landscaped and meticuliously groomed courtyard. Plenty of lounge chairs and a great way to finish off the day after returning from the beach. The pool area is like an oasis of calm and quiet, perfect for relaxation. The room itself featured a whirlpool tub and living room and another room with two queen beds and a bathroom. Both rooms had sliding doors and a balcony overlooking the pool, great for morning coffee. The housekeeping was spotless and we had no issues during our stay. We had a car, so we didn't use the free shuttle to the old town area, but this is a nice amenity in case you want to take advantage of some of the happy hours before the sun sets at Mallory Square. Overall, a great vacation and plenty of family memories helped along by our stay at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms overlooking the pool were quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Beaumont, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at this property when it was newer.lobby area has been updated but rooms have not.good parking.Just be aware there is major road construction in front of the building. We had a car to get away and they have a shuttle to Duval area every 30 mins.Stayed at the Marriott Beachside for the first part of this trip but had to move because of no vacancy.Beachside is much nicer property but have to say the staff were well trained and curteous at both properties.Will probably not stay there again till updated.

• Stayed April 2013
1Courtyard1, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Key West Waterfront, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel. I would like to assure you that we are taking major steps in improving our hotel and most importantly improving the overall experience for all our guests. We are making many significant changes during our upcoming room renovation, which includes new carpet in all our rooms. We hope that you will decide to give Courtyard Key West Waterfront another try and check out all the new changes next time you are in the Key West area.
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I just came back from one night in this hotel. Just for background, I am a Marriot Gold Elite (50 nights/yr) member so I know my Marriotts. We drove down to Key West while on vacation in Miami and I figured I could count on a Courtyard. I was wrong.

First the positives:

1. Jessica at the front desk was great!
2. Free shuttle to downtown every 30 min
3. Refurbished lobby area
4. I hear that the guest rooms are being renovated in the Fall

Now the negatives:

1. It appears to be hotel policy to use a very potent smelling room deodorizer every day. In fact, I saw one of the housekeepers spraying it on the carpet when I walked by an open door. This strong chemical "fragrance" has been mentioned on a number of these TA posts. If I would have read them before I would have never stayed here. Both my wife and I are sensitive to fragrances. The staff even offered to use an ozone generator while we were out visiting the town. It did NOTHING to diminsh the smell. After a restless night, we were both up at 4:30 AM so decided to just get out of there. I think I am going to start a grassroots campaign to get all hotels to use fragrance neutral cleaning products. I will call it STOP THE SPRAY! Fellow TA'ers, spread the word

2. The airconditioning is an old wall mounted type. It came on with a sound akin to a jet engine and blew directly on the bed. I had to use a pillow up against my head to block the noise and the cold airflow which was hitting right on me

I am sorry to write a negative about a member of my favorite hotel chain but this place needs a renovation badly. Maybe when they rip up the old sprayed carpets they will change their ways and stop the spraying

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy that your overall experience was positive and encourage you to return for a chance to improve on your impression. When you make a reservation in one of our hotels, ask for a hyper allergic room; whether it is feather free or fragrance free we will be happy to prepare the room as per your request and needs. We are making many significant changes at our property during our upcoming room renovation and your feedback is appreciated and will be considered when making future improvements.
Carmel IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the first time I went for a hotel that wasn't in the upper half of the tripadvisor ratings. My wife, two sons (not kids - 18 and 23) were looking for a place with a little more room that just two separate hotel rooms. We stayed in the two bedroom 'Penthouse Suite'. It certainly was very large - both rooms and the living room were more than we expected. The second bedroom even had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The balcony is much larger than described on the Courtyard site - I believe it said 10 sq feet, but it easily fit two chairs and small table - not huge, but bigger than expected. The main area on the lobby level are great. The rooms were definitely older and a bit worn and outdated. Not terrible, but certainly not brand new. I rarely heard anyone else which was nice. The room also had a kitchen - large mini fridge (oxmoron!) and a microwave. The countertops in the kitchen area were in most need of updating, but were clean and in good condition. A real positive were the ladies that served breakfast - ate there every day. They were genuinely friendly and really cared - made the simple act of getting breakfast fun! And the food was very, very good. Just a note- breakfast is NOT included in your room, but is very reasonable. The pool area is great - can't imagine there's much better in KW. "Noodles" who was working the "Tipsy Pelican" (Tiki Bar) was great too. Made it fun. There's been lots of talk on here about the shuttle bus - yep, easy to get on and good drop-off location. Coming back one night (maybe 8:00), the shuttle bus was loaded beyond capacity - a father and son sharing the front (single seat) of the van, and the daughter having to sit on her mother's lap- these weren't little kids - I'd guess early to mid-teens. It would have been much safer if they just waited until the next pick-up. My wife did bring this to the attention of the front desk - no clue if anything was done about it or not.
So, overall, with us wanting more room, it was a good place to stay. I would have probably gone with an 'above average' if not for the shuttle bus safety.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. I assure you that the problem you mentioned with overloading the shuttle have been addressed accordingly. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue. The shuttle runs every half an hour allowing for a more frequent service than any other area hotel. I am so happy to read that the room was spacious and up to your expectations and that the staff treated you as a Marriott employee should in a fun yet proffesional environment.
Key West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I live in KW and had some griends visiting the island. I called the hotel to inquire about some rooms. The lady on the other end (Jessica) was so helpful. I travel a lot for work and I work in the customer service industry and must say that she was one of the genuinely nice people...not just being customer service friendly. I was trying to find out information while I was at work so I had to keep hainging up and calling back, but she was so extremly helpful. Even after my friends arrived she helped me arrange a few special things for them. I spent one of the nights with them at the hotel and it was nicely kept and the rooms were better than either my friends or I expected. It may not be noticeable now, because we have some major road construction happening in Key West at the moment, but this is a very nice hotel highly recommended by this local for both the rooms and the customer service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your complimentary comments with us. Every Courtyard employee is trained to provide our customers with the best-possible lodging experience. This includes providing fast and accurate service in a friendly and proffesional hotel environment. We know you have many choices when making your lodging decisions, and we truly appreciate your choosing Marriott.
Sarasota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

OK, so the maids don't/won't? speak English. NOT OK when customer service is an alien language. What's worse is when maids and staff are trained to be mean, snooty, holier than thou, like a Beverly Hills designer store when you are in your first half of the Pretty Woman stage of life, and are wearing dirty cut-offs and ripped fishnets. I am not. I am in the second half of the movie, but in flats, without the eyeliner. Ok I am a woman traveling alone, working, so of course I should expect a female maid to treat me like her cheating husbands illegitmate leper child. I am a Marriott Rewards member which is even more horrid to the entire staff. At the front desk I was treated to the typical revolving snotty teenager whose whole job was to be unclear, exasperated and insulting. The 10 times I have stayed there or tried to over 5 years, I have never seen the same front desk staff twice. It is the only Marriott in the world where they will refuse to let a quiet, polite, patient, platinum member use the computer in an emergency, and make such a scene all by themselves that you are waiting for a military escort to appear, open the door to a Mexican jail cell and splain how they do things a little differently here. How DARE you ask for customer service. But ever hopeful, and frankly stuck, because I have to work Key West once a month, and tho more expensive than the moldy Fairfield inn, have they cleaned that up yet?, the Waterfront is cheaper than the Beachside, and I have to be practical, while staying loyal to Marriott. Most of the time I stay in Largo, and suffer the extra drive, but I hoped, I hoped. And I recently tried the Waterfront again. I was only in the room sleeping or on the job, except for my last morning when I caught up with the laptop on all my fieldwork. I enjoyed a terrific breakfast courtesy of Starbucks PATTY, who is an absolute blast and made the whole stay worth it. She should run a room in Key West! Oh she does! all she needs is a mike, because she is a natural wonder of high energy, well placed jokes, kind and sassy while totally service oriented, she chided me for helping pile up my dirty dishes..... and all the laughing really helped me relax. She also turned me on to the Office Depot across the street, and is a wealth of info of all things cool Key West, So back to the room I go, smiling and sated, and settle down to work. Its a lazy Tuesday, no one around, not a sound outside my paper thin walls. Suddenly I realize its eleven o'clock, and I could use some extra time. I call to the front desk where I am curtly told that the latest is 12:30 (How Dare You!) cluck,tsk tsk cluck! and so I gauge my time. At 12:20, I am out the door with my computer and camera. I smile and wave at the maid, pack up the car, and back up to the room for my personals. I am happy to see the pretty maid smile at me, and arrange a nice fat tip of ten bucks. I have only been there a few days, but I worked as a hotel maid, TWICE in my life, as I was a runaway and put myself thru college. It is hard hard endless work, rePEAT and I don't forget that, and honor every maid who is vacuuming up the toenail clipping I dropped on her rug, plus I am from Jersey. At 12:23, I am back to the room to wrap it up and head north, I smile at the same maid again, and the key to my room no longer works, as checkout/change-the-keys time is 11 am, thanks for telling me! The maid is three rooms away from me. I smile, shrug my hands and gesture her to come over. Then like a strange demon emerging from this petite Spanish beauty she smiles and shakes her head no. I fully turn slowly, still calm, just trying to understand what I am seeing. "To the front desk" she says in her best no speka de engla. I gesture, smile and say " ITS ME> Its the same me you just saw leave the room"...... To which she strides down the hall to my room, gets in my face and says TO THE FRONT DESK. customer service folks! down she walked to me! Somehow, I am no longer calm, but I am not insane yet, and I spin on my heel, down the stairs, over the river and thru the woods from the back wing, you know, the one with the BROKEN SECURITY DOOR, down around over and thru to the actual front desk. There I am met by Miss Surly who makes me a new key, and the only smile I see from her is the smile that accompanies: "The maid is supposed to do that, you know, that is how they are trained." ie.."YOU DOPE HOW DARE YOU cluck tsk tsk cluck eyes rolling. I am so happy to see their concern for security when THE SECURITY DOOR RIGHT NEXT TO MY DOOR HAS BEEN BROKEN MY ENTIRE STAY. So back across the lobby, thru Starbucks, OH Patty, bummer! along the pool, around the tiki bar, (the courtyard is very beautiful, note) and navigate the gate, hit the beach, (the beach is so sweet), onto the (beautiful) boardwalk, up the stairs and back through the BROKEN SECURITY DOOR to my room, and the new key does not work. It is now nearly 1. I am now feeling insane. The beauty of the courtyard property has become invisible, so near and yet so far ........ I start to sound a little insane and I stomp down towards my good friend the maid to "call the front desk and open the damn door for me, I am not jogging that mile again, I am paying over 300 dollars a night you just saw me leave and one minute later I am the biggest threat since Castro? ......" but before I could tell her what I really think she is zipping up to the door to open it for me. And I have to wonder, as I look down on her from my 5'10" of steamed stored up Irish where all that security training went in those minutes, or maybe common sense kicked in, or maybe I reminded her of a man........

I removed my tip, although I was grateful to my oppressor, as in a third world country I would have paid her to get me out of there. When Anne the "manager" emailed me, I was told between yawns that my safety and security were her highest priority. k ching

so girls bring your fella, skip the hotel on the weekends or frankly even in season, as it is SO DANGEROUS, accept your criminal status at this beautiful property, and spend the extra bucks to stay at the Beachside Marriott, or skip Marriott altogether. But don't skip Patty at Starbucks, go in for a latte and a laugh. Slide into the lobby,look left back to the pool, outsnoot the upnose at the desk, and breeze right through to the coffee+ bar. Just don't expect the Starbucks to operate under the normal rules of a normal Starbucks, not here in the third world country of Courtyard Key West Waterfront. They do things a little differently.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that your stay Courtyard Marriott did not exceed your expectations. I can certainly understand the disappointment you felt when you returned to the hotel to find your key would not work after our scheduled checkout time. We do our best to accommodate our loyal Marriott Rewards members by giving check-outs after 1pm but unfortunately during our sold out months, we are unable to offer anything later due to the number of arriving guests. Customer satisfaction is most important to us, and we sincerely regret your recent experience during your visit. Our company has strict standards for top quality. I hope that in the future, as in the past you will choose us for your lodging needs, giving us the opportunity to reaffirm your opinion of our hotel.

Been to Courtyard Key West Waterfront? Share your experiences!