“Great Staff!!” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #35 of 41 hotels in Key West
“Great Staff!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Older hotel with a convenient shuttle downtown. What sells this place is the staff. Probably the best overall staff experience I have had at any Marriott. We had a problem with our neighbors the first night and after bringing the issue to the attention of the staff, they changed our room without interrupting our vacations plans. The front desk staff, lobby cafe staff, maintenance staff, and management were great. I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here because we like Marriot properties and the price was right but what a mistake. I was behind my wife in getting to KW because I was cycling there from Key Largo. When she arrived and got to the room there was a chemical smell in the room but thought it was because it was just cleaned. She took a nap and when I arrived I said what is that smell? By this time she had a terrible headache. I left the sliding door open while I was getting ready for dinner. We left for about two hours and when we returned the smell was still just as bad. We went to the bar for a drink and I decided to see if they could move us. The NASTY front desk clerk said there are no rooms available except for the front of the hotel where they work over night on the road being rebuilt and it was from the carpets being cleaned. I said it smells like something was spilled and even unplugged what I thought was an air freshener. She said that they had a ozinator and it would take the smell out in 30 minutes and offered us a free drink. By this time it was 9:30 PM. After 30 minutes still the smell and they said another 30 minutes. Still the smell. There were hotel employees at the bar and they saif there were a lot of rooms available. My wife went this time to the desk and she was like what makes you think another cleaned room is going to smell better? She said let us try it. WOW there was another room available and it was not on the street. She lied straight up. We moved and the carpet was damp but that strong smell was gone. Fast forward to the next day. Our key didn't work arriving back from dinner and I went to the desk. Guess who was there? MS Personallity. She was lecturing another lady about why her key didn't work. Questioning her like she was a child. I said to her can you just give her a new key an leave her alone? She didn't like it but as a business owner I was furious the way she treated us and this other customer. It was like she didn't want to be bothered and hates her job. Next day. Towels were not complete. No wash cloths and no bathmat for when you exit the shower. We were told they didn't have bathmats for the floor. Funny how we had them before and after that. Guess who? Same lady. Next day I was cycling and my wife was at the pool but had to go to the room because the workers replacing the tiki hut roof were making comments and wouldn't stop looking at here while laying in the sun. These guys were walking around barefoot and shirtless. Not professional at all. When she returned to the room there was a knock at the door but had to get dressed before answering the sliding door. By this point the person was gone and the shirtless worker was walking away. Are you kidding me? Final straw. We loaded up to leave and before we drove off I decided to wash my hands because I just loaded my bike. I took off my wedding band and set it on the counter of the sink. I forgot to put it back on and we left. About 2 hours into the ride back we stopped and I realized what I did and we called. They checked and said it was not there. I wash my hands all the time and because I hate soap in my ring around the diamonds I take it off. They said they would follow up with us and no calls. Called Marriot customer service and no calls back. They can care less. The entire week before we stayed at a Marriot in Orlando and it was beautiful. Everyday there were animal droppings near the pool. The night we were moving there was a huge rat and the guy at the bar told us it was because of the water out back. When they clean the rooms they prop multiple doors open with towels which leaves the rooms not seccured to the outside since this place has rooms right from the parking lot and street. Looks like the section we stayed in was an older hotel that became part of another hotel. Like they were blended. How can they have rooms not secured?
The construction out front was terrible and makes the shuttle service a long ride during the busy parts of the day. Shuttle drivers were incredible. Better to stay closer to town.
Cynthia that works breakfast was incredible and very nice. Breakfast food was good but what is included with the room is limited.
Water view - It is a inlet that smells. THIS IS NOT OCEAN VIEW AT ALL. DON'T BE FOOLED.
Some may ask why we didn't leave and why we stayed for 5 nights. This was part of a 3 week trip that included us bringing bikes and a lot to go with it. We didn't want to move again and we figured it couldn't continue being bad. We were wrong and with the ring being stolen that was it. They could care less. If they gave us a week here free I wouldn't stay here. They need to look at who works here and consider their postions. In the last 12 we have been gone for 6 weeks and this is the worse place ever.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is secure from the parking lot. Interior hall access away from the water out bac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and overall we had a fantastic time together with my family and my BF, we booked 1 family room and double room with a joining door that connects the two room making it very big for the children to play and jump around.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights the week before Christmas for a business trip. I landed early and drove a rental car to the hotel, arriving a good 3 hours before check in. As a platinum Marriott member, I typically don't have a hard time getting a room early but in this case I did have to wait about 15 minutes for them to finish cleaning a room with a view. Check in was great though, everyone was extremely helpful. I had a second floor room facing the pool/hotel hot tub. The gardens area were very pretty and relaxing. My room had a veranda with 2 chairs which was very nice to sit out on with a glass of wine.

Even though the hotel rooms have not had the reno that the lobby had, my room did not feel dated at all. The only thing it didn't have was an automatic thermostat but that is not a big deal at all. It was quite comfortable and a nice size. I've never found Courtyard to have great beds so on the Courtyard scale this was just fine.

The pool area and bar were nice. I had lunch at the bar and then a drink there later on. The pool area was well kept and pool was very relaxing after a long day of meetings.

The shuttle may be the best feature besides the hotel itself. Every half hour it runs to and from downtown Key West, about 1 block from Duval street. It's quite convenient. I would probably not rent a car the next time at all.

The construction outside of the hotel runs all along Roosevelt Blvd and affects a bunch of hotels and restaurants. It's not a negative factor at all, but then again I live in an area where we have construction constantly as well.

Great hotel, would definitely stay there again on my next trip!

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor facing the pool
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on courtyard for one night and everything was good, the room clean and the beds comfortable,the service was perfect , the pool was clean, at front desk they were very nice and helpful, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here two nights over Christmas (Dec '12). Like the other reviewers before me, we were not impressed by our room facing the busy road. The hotel lobby was very nice and the little beach in the back with a deck & boardwalk are nice touches but finally we had to go back to our warn out, dreary "motel" room. I am suspecting that the people who wrote good reviews did not have a misfortune of staying in one of the front row rooms. This was a points rewards stay but if I had to pay $500, I will definitely not be staying here nor will I be returning to this place after seeing what else is out there in the range. Shuttle to the down town is a definite plus. It makes me wonder why Marriott still has Courtyard name on this place. If this was my first ever stay at a Courtyard, it probably would be the only one!

Room Tip: Ask for room in the back. Stay away from room #s in 100's and 200's in the front.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This courtyard is a bit outdated. The lobby was obviously reinovated recently, but the rooms really need it. They are clearly old and seeing wear and tear. Starbucks in the lobby and free shuttle to downtown are great positives though!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Key West Waterfront? Share your experiences!