“Ants, a Rooster, and on a Busy Road!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Key West
Orlando, Florida
“Ants, a Rooster, and on a Busy Road!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Aghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Waterfront???...it's the front of some stupid marina corner with so many shopping plazas nearby and two gas stations right in the front. First let me tell you the only good thing is that the room is generally nice looking with nice comfy beds and pillows. Small bathroom was pretty much ok...slow water saving toilet, small bathtub, with a difficult little tab you have to move to turn on the shower..granite/stone countertops. A little sink outside of the bathroom as well. Small closet and plenty of storage space in drawers if needed. No fridge or microwave. Free Wi-Fi though. Small balcony over-looking an ok sized pool (haha so close swimmers can look directly into your room or it looks like your looking at them when you open up the curtains or sit in the balcony!) with a little tiki bar in the back. The front lobby area is trendy looking with a starbucks and a little cafe for breakfast (and lunch I think). The hotel has two floors...goes around with a pool in the middle of the courtyard. We unfortunately got the side of the hotel which faces a very busy North Roosevelt Blvd! You could hear the cars in the day and of course, especially at night. The police, ambulance, and fire trucks were all heard loud and clear. There was a damn rooster who woke us up every morning around 5 am on top of all the noise..but they are everywhere in Key West..so I really can't say it's the hotel's fault...but they could maybe try to relocate the little bugger. Then our last night there my feet started to itch like crazy and found red ants biting me! They were all over in the corner of the main tiled hall and carpet leading to the beds...ewwwwwww and ouch!!! Then we called the front desk and they sent some guy with an ant spray around 12am..oh yay..how nice (errr)!! Don't think that they vacuum even if they bring in the vacuum into the room during housekeeping b/c it was never done while we stayed there for 4 days! We asked to move to a quieter side of the hotel but they supposedly had nothing available. Then at the end we asked for a discount for all the things we had to go through but they did nothing..so I really had to write this and let everyone know so you can make your own choice to stay here or not. Just my opinion but if your going to Key West for pleasure, stay at a better hotel, somewhere near downtown and near the beaches to get a real taste of this small town..a good hotel for little extra money will be well worth it! Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Kennewick, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

There are two Marriott properties maybe 2 miles apart. This Marriott is closer to the downtown area than the other property which comes up as you first enter Key West. The rooms were big, clean and the beds were very comfy! The pool was great and the staff was welcoming and helpful. They offer a free shuttle to the Duval Street area which was great...no need to find parking. They also had some great recommendations for meals. I researched many hotels on Key West and all were expensive. This Marriott was not any more expensive that most other lodging I looked into. Granted it was not as updated and fancy as the other Marriott property...we did not spend much time in the room so it was fine. It was clean and spacious and convenient.

Breakfast was not offered with the room. Although I am not desperate for a morning coffee, I do like to have one and I asked about this. We were informed that the coffee shop (located in the front desk area) is available and the front desk can make coffee for us if no one was at the counter and we wanted one. Wonderful service! I appreciated that!

The hotel is also directly across from a shopping area so if we needed a grocery store it was very convenient. It is on the main thoroughfare but not noisy even with the shopping right there.

I might recommend asking for a room towards the back of the hotel. It is closer to the water and very quiet. There is a very small "boardwalk" with some chairs and a few tables if you want to sit and look out of over the water. We watched some horseshoe crabs, some fish, some lizards (geckos maybe?) and an iguana. The craziness of Duval Street is close enough but the chaos of it is not. This mid-range hotel is a worthy choice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My family was here just for one night staying on our Rewards Points...clean, nice..but not fancy room...which we expected from looking at the website. Front desk check-in was friendly and without hassle. We were able to check-in early as a room was available when we arrived (11:30) which was convenient and pleasantly surprising. Pool was small but ok....waterfront lagoon had nurse sharks, stingrays, and horseshoe crabs which my 11 and 13 year old children found fascinating. Until the next morning....driving away in the car my children both started complaining about strange bites up and down their bodies....thank goodness we have strong minded kids...because they were pretty level-headed about finding out that they had bed bug bites (although my 13 yr old girl will never stay at another Marriott in Key West). Yes...the bites were confirmed to be bed bugs (linear bites). More hellacious than mosquito bites by far! They became pustular and infected that same day. Of course the hotel denies this....we only stayed one night at a hotel (Courtyard Marriott Key West) and we didn't stay anywhere else that my children would have gotten these bed bug bites. My kids have never been exposed to this before and I hope that they never will again. Please be aware of this problem at this hotel if you dare stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
CourtyardMgmtKW, General Manager at Courtyard Key West Waterfront, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments about the property and our staff but feel it imperative to respond to your claim of bed bugs in your hotel room. As I shared with you when you called, we take any insect complaint (although rare) very seriously and follow procedures to ensure all rooms are free of pests for our guests. Due to the heightened attention of the bed bug epidemic over the past ten years, all hotel employees receive bed bug identification training as part of their extensive training program. Our pest management company has given advanced bed bug inspection training to hotel management personnel in the event an immediate inspection needs to be done.
Upon receiving your initial voicemail message with your concerns, I immediately called an independent, state licensed, qualified pest control company to inspect the room in which you stayed. After a thorough investigation was performed on room 116 by the state licensed exterminator, a report was issued to the hotel which was faxed to your attention stating there was no evidence of bed bugs in that room. I was surprised to see this accusation on TripAdvisor after re-assuring you there were no bed bugs at this hotel. During the ten years I have been at the Marriott Courtyard Key West, we have never had a bed bug issue.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your visit to Key West. As you know, Key West has a varied subtropical island environment and as a result, we have preventative programs in place to protect against insect encounters. We have routine pest inspections, monthly pest control applications, and ongoing training to name a few. I can certainly understand the disappointment you felt when you left the island and discovered the bites on your children.
Your patronage of Marriott and our family of hotels is very important to us. Customer satisfaction is most important to us, and we sincerely regret your recent experience during your visit. Our company has strict standards for top quality. I hope that in the future, as in the past you will choose us for your lodging needs, giving us the opportunity to reaffirm your opinion of our hotel.
Cortaillod, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Nice hotel with good service.

They have a really nice pool which I think is cooled and provide freshness during the warm June.

We took a nice suite with Jacuzzi. The suite had two rooms with a balcony on the pool. Nice and clean room with coffee machine, microwave and free internet.

Free parking and also free regular shuttle to go near Duval street until 10.45 pm

Good service and nice employees.

No in-room food service. Really good food at the Tiki Bar at the pool but closes quite early in the evening.

The only really annoying point was the Air Conditioner. They have in room AC appliance. This means the appliance is getting every 10 minutes on and off and makes a lot of noise. I don't understand why they didn't install external systems.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Westminster, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

As part of my nephew's graduation gift, my family and I traveled down the Florida Keys. We booked a two room suite at the Courtyard Marriott. We had a room overlooking the courtyard which is beautifully landscaped.
The pool is large and heated. There were plenty of lounge chairs surrounding the pool area. The courtyard is complete with a jacuzzi and a poolside bar.
They have free shuttles to the Mallory Square in downtown Key West which we used all the time while we were there.
As I stated, it was a two room suite complete with a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee pot and safe. Each room had it's own bath and well stocked with towels.
We searched the internet for the best deals for a family of six and this Marriott was a wonderful discovery.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and myself planned a trip to Key West for our vacation this year. I myself am a Hilton person, and have never stayed in a Marriott. I was very pleased with this hotel. The staff was great, the pool relaxing, the Tiki Bar fun, and the housekeeping staff was awsome. Our room was perfect every day upon return. Great shuttle to Duval Street made it very convenient for us. I recommend this property 100%. It is close to everything you could want.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

What a vacation!! I looked at several hotels online before traveling, and noticed that all were a little pricey, but considering it is Key West, we thought it was to be expected. We were going to stay elsewhere, but I figured for a little more money, let's stay somewhere worth it. This was the right choice!!

What an amazing room! We got the king suite with whirlpool and balcony. The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel was very modern and clean. We were even allowed to stay parked on the property after check-out and were allowed to use the shuttle to head back downtown one last time before heading back to Miami!! This is not a hotel to lounge at the beach (Key West is not known for its beaches), and prices are inherently higher in Key west regardless. The plus to not being right downtown is the quiet night you will have getting a great night's sleep. besides you have the free shuttle to get you downtown which means no paying for parking and no worries driving and trying to find your way. Whirlpool was great, room was fantastic, and this will be a hotel I would recommend and return to if I am ever back in Key West! Great Job Courtyard!!

Room Tip: Worth the money, definately!!