“Lovely B&B, great location, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Artist House on Fleming
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   1016 Fleming Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #20 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
Amberg, Bayern, Germany
“Lovely B&B, great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were in Key West for 7 nights and stayed the 1st 4 at a beach resort then switched to the Artist House on Fleming for our last 3 nights to change things up a little. We could not have been happier with our choice to stay there. The owners are lovely people who are very friendly and accommodating and willing to help with anything you need. The house, although structurally old, has been recently remodeled and redecorated by the owner and she did such a lovely job! I liked the decor of our room (Simonton) so much that I took pictures to use as inspiration for decorating my own bedroom at home! The breakfast was great with a wide variety of fruit, cereal, fresh bakery good, coffee and tea. You can enjoy your breakfast out back by the pool or on the covered front porch watching people go by. The location was also fantastic for exploring Duval St and Mallory square (about 15-20 min walk) or the entire island by bike. You can rent bikes directly from the front desk for $20/2 days- a great deal and highly recommend! The only negative thing I can say is that our bed was a bit uncomfortable because it was too soft (but better than being too hard!). Also, since it is an old house, the hot water takes awhile to come on but once it does, it works just fine. Neither of these minor complaints would keep me from recommending or rebooking the Artist House on Fleming. It's truly a fantastic place for a great price!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Artists-Fleming, Manager at Artist House on Fleming, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thanks Megan! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again some day.

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Very clean, very nice accommodations with a super friendly, helpful staff. It is conveniently located near many Key West sights, but provides a quiet backyard oasis, excellent breakfast buffet and lovely rooms. I was concerned that our first floor front room would be noisy, but we never heard a sound. The back courtyard provided a lovely oasis away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, and included a huge spa/hot tub for relaxing. The rooms were immaculate, we loved the mini-refrigerator, private bath and there were plenty of clean linens. It is nestled in a quiet neighborhood, yet is only blocks away from all of the excitement that Key West can provide. I would highly recommend this B&B!

Room Tip: I think any room would be wonderful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Artists-Fleming, Manager at Artist House on Fleming, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you so much for the recommendation! We really do try hard to be the cleanest and friendliest B&B on the island, and we're happy to hear that in your opinion, we have made the Artist House on Fleming a "wonderful place to stay"!
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place was so quaint and the perfect distance from Duval street. We stayed in the Geiger room and I absolutely loved it. The pool was small, but very cute and there were tons of places to lay out during the afternoon before hitting the bars. Also, each room had its own little porch which was very neat. This B&B had its own island-life, southern charm! If you love history with a chic twist this is the place for you! I only wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: The Geiger room is perfect for 4 people (girls weekend?!?!) and at $315 (including tax) divided by 4...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.....Next time you will just have to stay longer! We're glad that you loved the Geiger Suite and it's 3rd floor porch overlooking the garden. We do want to note though that while all of our rooms have their own unique qualities, not every room has it's own porch. : ) We hope to see you again whenever it is that you decide to come back!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Would definitely stay with Artist House on Fleming again! The location worked out great for us - quiet neighborhood but close enough to Duval and the harbor front/docks to easily take in Key West! We stayed in the Flagler Room, and I worried it would be loud being on 1st floor right inside the front door. But we had a great experience! Trevor and the rest of the staff were all great. There was a nice selection of pastries, fruit, hot/cold cereal, juice/coffee/tea every morning, and you could enjoy your breakfast on the comfortable front wraparound porch, or in the peaceful courtyard in the back. Although we did splurge for breakfast one morning and had the Classic Eggs Benedict and Key Lime Pie Stuffed French Toast at Azur restaurant across the street from the B&B! Yum!!

We love to travel and I use Trip Advisor frequently to research hotels/B&Bs, etc. I very much value the comments that I read from other travelers and usually base my decisions on what I read. So I hope that I am able to help another traveler who may be wondering about this B&B when I say that it will be the first place I check for availability the next time we are able to visit Key West!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks, Amy! That's the comment we Love to hear the most. It's a huge compliment to us when we hear our guests tell us that they would definitely return. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!
New Forest National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This B&B is in a really beautiful neighborhood and is a very short walk into town. We were only there for a few nights until we could check into our rental house, but it made a good base for our first few days on the island.

The breakfast is fantastic. Such a wide variety of things to eat, so something for everyone. Jo was amazing in terms of giving us lots of ideas of things to do and see as well as recommending places to eat and drink.

We also took advantage of the complimentary happy hour at the sister property which was nice as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience here. We love the tranquility of our Fleming Street neighborhood too, and glad to hear that you found it to be a comfortable home base before moving to your rental home.
Duncan, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Artist House on Fleming. Great breakfast and great location. Walked everywhere. We went the second week in February, the weather was wonderful.
Staff was helpful. The Florida Keys eco discovery center was a nice place to visit. It is free.
We visited the state park which was $2.50 per person and enjoyed our day there. We stayed and watched the sunset at the park. Beautiful!! We enjoyed eating at Caroline's and Charlie Mac's BBQ.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks, Linda! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again soon.
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Artist House on Fleming for 5 nights during Feb vacation and loved every minute of it. It was our first trip ever to KeyWest and we had a great time , incredible weather ( Every Day in the 80's & Sunny), and it was tough to leave and come back home in MA. All of the staff were very nice and helpful. We arrived at 10:30am and were able to leave our luggage here until our room was ready. Trevor took my cell phone number and called us as soon as the room was ready ( around 1pm) so we were able to check in a couple of hours early which was appreciated since we were up at 3am that morning to catch our flight. Later during our stay one of the staff ( can't remember her name) was helping us decide on which beach to visit and suggested we rent bikes to explore the island. I absolutely recommend renting bikes to anyone staying at KeyWest and you can rent them right at Artist House. We rode everywhere on our bikes and it was so much fun, got to see the whole island , and get some exercise in as well. She also recommended the restaurant on Higgs Beach ( Salute ) which we stopped for lunch on our bikes of course which was also a good call by her.
Now to the room and Inn itself. Our room was on the 3rd floor and it had a 2nd bedroom which was convenient because we invited my wife's parents for 2 nights. Our room had a huge very comfortable king sized bed and the 2nd bedroom had a queen. Each room also had a large flat screen on the wall which to be honest we never turned on. There was also a mini fridge for beverages and the Inn provided wine glass for us. After all when you go on vacation to KeyWest all you really do in your room is sleep so I believe a comfortable bed is key and it was. The 3rd Floor Suite shares a patio with one other suite with some nice deck furniture and we had some nice conversations with the party in the adjacent suite. You do have to go up 3 flights of stairs to get there but no problems there. The entrance is low so being 6 ft tall I did hit my head a few times entering the room but most of time I had enough alcohol in me I didn't feel it. The one big negative think about the room was the bathroom. Very small , very small shower , I could not really turn around inside of it without hitting the walls or door. Also , the knob needed an adjustment because it would not stay in the middle. So the water was either too hot or cold and if you were lucky to get it right where you wanted it the water would all of the sudden get cold. Also, very little water pressure. I never complained because overall it was not a big deal. Also, one other nuisance was an outside light by entrance door that kept going off and on all night. I think it was on a sensor but something may have been setting it off. Again , not enough to warrant a complaint to the staff although my wife probably disagrees with me there.
Breakfast was excellent , they had a very nice spread from local bakery's. There was plenty to choose from also , coffee, Juice , water. There was plenty of patio tables , chairs to enjoy your morning breakfast and coffee outside near the pool area , well actually the it is a hot tub not a pool. Since we had low to mid 80's all week a pool to cool off would have been nice vs a hot top. The locations was excellent. Very quite street but you are only about 6-7 blocks from Duvall St (10-15mins walk). The walk back always seemed longer than the walk to Duval Street but if you get tired of walking back you can easily find a taxi and it will only cost you a few bucks.
So overall , the place was very good, room was clean , very comfortable bed , also had love seat couch. Again the negative was the bathroom size and shower situation. Great location , Great breakfast and all staff were very helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We were happy to read that you loved every minute of it despite the couple of minor things that you mentioned were a nuisance. We're glad that you mentioned them though. Since we don't sleep or shower here, sometimes the only way we would know about annoying porch lights or loose shower knobs is through our guest's comments.
Thanks again, and we hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to Key West.

Been to Artist House on Fleming? Share your experiences!