“Slightly indifferent and room cleaning a bit suspect” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 41 hotels in Key West
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Slightly indifferent and room cleaning a bit suspect”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had emailed the hotel before our arrival asking for more information on the location of the hotel carpark and was disappointed not to get any response to this. (for anyone who wants to know this the carpark is accessed by turning right just before you arrive at the hotel when travelling south along Duval Street, it is valet parking only and you stop just after you turn in, unpack your car and are given a voucher and the valet parks it for you)

Whilst all the staff encountered were helpful and did nothing “wrong” they did not appear enthusiastic and in some cases gave the impression of going through the motions. We had just stayed in another Crown Plazza hotel where the staff bent over backwards for us so we might have been spoilt by this.

The room itself had a large king sized bed, 3 seater sofa and a couple of small tables and a work desk/chair. Storage wise there was a large chest of drawers as well as a good sized wardrobe. The room had a large flat screen telly, coffee maker and iron/ironing board. I felt that the furniture was to big for the room and the small windows made the room feel a bit dark.

When we arrived in the room there was a cotton bud lying on close to the skirting board near the work desk and a pair of womens pants in the wardrobe. This made me worry about the quality and thoroughness of the cleaning of the room.

We did not use many facilities in the hotel itself, but can recommend watching the sun set from the rooftop bar (use the lifts at the Duval Street side of the hotel and select T and this takes you right to the bar).

I was surprised at the lack of “tourist” information in the hotel lobby, there was someone sitting at a table during the day but they were only looking to sell trips, whilst I was expecting leaflets for attractions in the town. There was a small shop beside reception, we only went in there once to get a bar of chocolate but this seemed to be quite well stocked.

Location wise this is ideal for your first visit to Key West as you are right in the middle of the action, however if (or when) I got to Key West again I would try and stay slightly further out to save money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear marooncat,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am pleased you liked the location and enjoyed watching the sunset from the rooftop bar. I apologize for the hotel staff services and cleanliness of the room that you have received which is not up to your par. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Key West.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Show Low, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

It's a great location, but that's about it. I've had 2 visits to this hotel and both were bad. During the first visit in Sept. 2011, the staff was unhelpful to the extreme. They sent me to the other side of town to mail a package when the post office was right behind the hotel. They closed the business center and was unable to give me paper to print something with because they lock it up at night. The maid threw away my contact lenses and plastic travel zip bag. But the killer was that their wake up call doesn't work. I expected to get a wake up call during our first trip so I could go to an early morning event, my reason for being there. The wake up call didn't happen, so I missed most of the event. When I asked the staff about it, they said it was my own fault because I should have had a "backup" alarm of some sort. I went back in May of 2012 to give it another try. The remodeled room was so small we could barely walk around the bed, and there was hardly any place to put luggage. There was construction tools laying out in the hallway next to our door, and somebody starting using a powerdrill around 8am. Plus, the wake up call still doesn't work. The hotel had made us promises after the first trip to make up for the problems, but when I tried to get them to pony up for it this spring, it took me nearly a month of communications, plus they had promised a free return trip. When I finally was able to get somebody to respond to my request for a return, they only gave me a fraction of time. I had to find an alternative hotel for the other days I was in town. Which, by the way, was so far superior to the La Concha and much less expensive. Do yourself a favor... save yourself the flustration of staying at this overrated hotel. Come and visit the lobby, read about the history, and take the elevator to the top floor to see the sunset. Then leave to go back to a better hotel.

Room Tip: The Duval street rooms are super small. The first trip, I had a room on the back side (parking lot s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHG Care at Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Katrinna P,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I must say, hotel is located right on Duval street where all the action is... many stores and restaurants and attractions are near by..
BUT.. the hotel staff is in need of training.. We checked in around 10pm.. had to change the room 3 times.. 1st one was next to the vending machine and being a light sleeper, I asked for a quieter room.. I was asked to walk back to the front desk to collect the key.. OK, next room.. someone must have smoked everything that can be smoked.. room smelled so bad and there were cleaning products and a fan that was left on by the house keeping.. I walked back again to the front desk. I was using my points for my stay and was trying to conduct an informal site inspection... finally I got a room where the front desk said, it was NOT available...
Nice size corner room.. BUT it was never vacummed... We were so tired.. we just stayed in that room... It was already mid night... I asked if there is a gym where I can shower and change before we leave the next day... the front desk clerk said, "Nah, I wouldn't use it"
went to the star bucks for coffee... the young lady at the register had no idea how to ring up the order...
Overall, Good location... that's about it..

Room Tip: Clean Lobby... Not the rooms.. The carpets are dark.. cieling is painted dark blue.. (may be it is a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I am a frequent visitor to Key West and the LaConcha.. I am usually more than pleased with my experience on each viisit, except this time. On more than one day, it was after 11am before clean dry towels were at the pool and the pool area was littered with empty beer bottles even after numerous calls to the desk. The new upgrades on oversized furniture in the small rooms make it hard to move around the room and there is no where to place clothing as the dressers now house coffeemakers, icebuckets and have limited (2-3) shelves and the closets are tiny. In my bathroom, you could not walk in and close the door without standing along side the toliet to close the door as the new enlarged showers take up so much space. the door to the shower could not be opened all the way! Some things still are good and remain the same.. Phil the bell man is fabulous and goes out of his way to help. Zac and Charla bartenders at the Top of the Laconcha are amazilng and attentive.. Just depends what you are willing to compromise on..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Jason C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for you response. As hospitality professionals, we know that the key to maintaining loyal guests is through unparalleled service. We are glad that Phil, Zak and Sharla were able to leave lasting memories of La Concha with your party. Upon your next visit to Key West, we would recommend upgrading to a junior suite so that you may feel a little more comfortable throughout your stay. If I can be of any assistance prior to your next visit please let me know so that I may assist with your accommodations.

All the best,

Jason Carter
305-280-0203
jasoncarter@remingtonhotels.com
lake city fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Greeted by Phil(best Bellman in Florida) when we arrived and it was uphill from there.Jennie was great at the front desk upgrading us to one of the new suites due to platinumn status.This was truly a resort style suite with fantastic shower,sectional sofa and 4 large casual chairs. Michael and Zac (bartenders) service was excellent at the bars upstairs and down.Plus they have coldest beer in Key West.Only draw back was the pool was warm and worn.Overall a Great Four days .

Room Tip: Older section of hotel is noisier due to Duval Street but who comes to sleep.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad you were able to experience La Concha in its truest form with warm greetings and luxurious guestrooms. Our team thanks you for your comments and welcomes you back to Key West. Should your travels have you return to the southernmost point, please let me know so that I may assist with your accommodations.

All the best,

Jason Carter
305-280-0203
jasoncarter@remingtonhotels.com
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the La Concha and we normally stay at this hotel every year. The location is unbeatable, the service excellent, the top side bar and views amazing. The restaurant and bar though a little pricey are convenient and good quality.

The renovation is very nice but we were a bit disappointed with some of the re-decorating choices. The windows overlooking Duval street are very old and in need of replacing but instead of replacing them plantain shutters were installed. In front of the shutters a very large sofa was placed making it impossible to open the shutters without pulling out the couch (and there's not enough room to do so) so the only view of Duval street from the upper floors is what you can glimpse between the layered shutters. I believe they did this to keep you from noticing the sad old windows, but I sure miss the view of Duval street that we used to have.

The rooms have always been pretty small but the old furniture was in keeping with the scale of the room. The new furniture chosen for the update is very large. As beautiful as the new furniture is, it leaves very few options for storing your clothes. Their is no room for a chest of drawers or dresser so the only place to unpack your clothes to is two shelves inside the media center. Their is so little room, however, between the media center and the king bed that you can't open the door to the shelves all of the way so you have to sit on the floor or get to your clothes kind of sideways. There is one night stand on one side of the bed but the biggest drawer now holds the safe. The other side has a table, pretty again, but no drawers. There are tables on either side of the couch but the drawers are fake and can't be opened. The bathroom has some shelves but the towels are stored in them so I stacked the towels on the side of the sink and used the bathroom shelves to stack my clothes in.

The bathroom is attractive but you now have a HUGE shower, and no bathtub. UGH! I felt like I was in the cheap rooms on a cruise ship with nowhere to take a nice soaking bath. SO disappointing!

But the biggest disappointment for me and the one that really counts is that from what I can see the rates are about to go up, possibly by as much as 60%. My husband and I spend a week each year in May in Key West and the Senior price is around $210 per night but right now that same room and date for next is $367 per night.

My husband and I are Platinum priority club members and we love this hotel, but I am afraid for us price going to be a deal breaker. We love this hotel, especially it's location, but for next year we have started exploring other options.

BTW, the employees there are caring professionals. They're all tops. If you want to meet a great guy say hi to Phil the bellman for us.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter, the lower floors make you feel like you are really in Key West.
Padova
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Hotel is very very good, in a perfect position in the center of key west.
The lobby and public spaces are very clean with a beautiful furniture in perfect florida style.
THe room is clean with a very good bed and very very nice with all amenities.
Finally i suggest this hotel because have also a stupend rooftop terrace where you can drink a mojito in the sunset, viewing all keywest. very very very beautiful!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha? Share your experiences!