“A big disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Newcastle upon Tyne
“A big disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

After staying at a top quality Wyndham hotel in Palm Springs last year, we were hugely disappointed with the Reach Resort. The hotel is totally overpriced for the standard of the accommodation. The car parking is terrible and the air con in the rooms sounds like it is diesel powered. There is a lot of building going on next door which acts as a good wake up call! The rooms were dirty and need updating dramatically.
The only positive points I can make are the pool area and the beach - these are both very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Washington D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2005

I should have recognized the inch of water in the hotel lobby as a sign that the Wyndham would not be a great experience. I brushed it off as a bit of damage from hurricane Katrina. However it didn't get much better than that. Check in went smoothly until the desk clerk told us that our room was on the 5th floor (maybe we'd get a view?) and that "...the best way to get there, well actually, you have to take the stairs because the elevators aren't working." It was about 3pm and must have been about 105 degrees with the heat index. We had two huge suitcases in the car that we would have to lug up the 5 flights. We went to the room and took a look around (the pictures are from this room). We could barely see the beach from the main sliding door glass door. After contemplating how difficult it would be to move everything up there, we went back to reception to ask for another room. The clerk (a different person from the first), upgraded us to a larger junior suite on the second floor. She was very pleasant about it too, it just seems like it should have been done the first time since the elevators were not working. The room was nice, but the A/C couldn't keep up with the Key West heat.

The hotel in general was fairly worn out and could use a major renovation (paint pealing off, door frames rusted through, etc). The pool was ok, but there were no towels available, which are apparently included in the $14 resort fee we had to pay. The room was clean. The self park garage had a huge puddle with about 2 inches of standing water in it for the 2 days we were there and there was no way not to walk through it to get to your room. It was full of mud which got on our clothes more than once. A new hotel was being built right outside our room, but amazingly we didn't hear much noise. I would definitely not stay in this hotel again, and would be hesitant about staying in any Wyndham hotel after this experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

This hotel is a dump. The room was tiny. The absolute worst bed I have ever slept on. I asked for another room with a better bed and less construction noise, nope, same crappy type bed in that one!! The food was OK but overpriced. Staff was rude. We tipped the bell staff and then found out at check-out that they include that in your "resort fee". I would NEVER stay here again unless in was free!

Stayed April 2005
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

I will never again trust a hotel based on its website. Everything about the Wyndham Reach Resort was bad. I mean, if you ve traveled a little in your life, you can tell right away that this hotel is a rip off. I m not holding any grudges against the hotel personnel (polite but not overtly nice either) but against the chain itself.

Here is my list of complaints :

-The so-called beach that you re longing for ? Forget it at the Wyndham Reach Resort. There is so much seaweed by the water you can t go for a swim....and the smell...granted, it s not the hotel s fault, but you don t charge $180 a night for a beach that is nonexistent. When we got there at 3pm in the afternoon, there was not a single person on the beach. They were all by the pool nearby.

-Be aware that they re having massive construction work going on this summer. There are about 20 workers next door and while we were there, we HAD to wake up at 9 am, as the noise was so loud (huge drilling downstairs in the garage as well)

-We had to insist to change rooms later that day. It only worked because we stopped by the reception several times

-Upon arrival, we were not offered the option of self parking. The valet took care of our car right away. Now, coming from Miami Beach where there s no other option, we did not question that, until we realized there was indeed a self parking section. We asked for our car keys right away.

-The first room we were staying in was full of small ants (on the telephone, in the kitchenette sink, on the floor...)

-Inside of rooms is tacky, unless you like tropical colors, Jimmy Buffet style

-When we checked out, we had a surcharge of 14 dollars a day for resort fees....now, when I asked, they said that s because 30mns of free local calls are included (we did not know anyone in Key West, too bad...) and complimentary transportation to and from Key West airport (we drove from Miami...). I was so disgusted at that point, I did not ask for the fee to be waived but I think you can do something if you really want to

Honestly, I never write reviews online but I told my boyfriend during the trip I owed it to other tourists like us to do it and I wanted to keep my word.
Also, I really think they discriminate against reservations made through Expedia, Travelocity, etc...as opposed to those made through their own website. You just need to know it when your room is assigned.

In short (well, long now...), go somewhere else in Key west. We liked the little Inns and Beds and Breakfast nearby (I would recommend The Gardens from what I saw) and stay away from the (small) beaches. The smell is too strong. It s not worth it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

First off, this was the third trip I have made to Key West and my fiancee and I love it there. The Reach Resort was the only negative part of the week we spent there from the 12th to the 18th of August.
I chose the Reach because it looked reasonably good, and I got a good discount through an internet package deal with airfare and a car. Had it not been for this, I wouldn't have stayed there. The place has a beach, but Key West itself doesn't have natural beaches and the one they have generally stinks of sulphur and is coated with seaweed. They try to clean it, but it is not a pleasant place to swim. The Pool is okay, although the hot tub jets were broke. Some of the staff is friendly and some is definitely less than friendly.
As for the room, the loud air conditioner kept my fiancee from getting a good night's sleep, we had ants in the sink despite never bringing food into the room, and the biggest one of all is that our housekeeper threw out souvenier drink cups from bars that we had washed out and were going to reuse at home, and moved things around so we couldn't find them, including some of my fiancee's jewelry, which had her absolutely furious.
At the end of the stay, I saw on my bill that I had been charged for a drink off the mini-bar, that I had never opened with the key provided, but did leave it in the room. It was charged for the same day as the other problems we had with the housekeeper. They took off the drink charge immediately, but were not remotely friendly about it.
The elevators both smell precisely like a garage or auto body shop, and there was a massive amount of construction in the parking garage starting midway through our time there. I only used the rental car to drive up the keys a couple of days and to and from the airport, but came into the garage after 48 hours of not using it to find that my rental was behind caution tape and in the construction zone. They didn't bother to ask if I had a rental when I checked in, and I was so happy to be in Key West I didn't bother to tell them. This means that approximately anyone can just park in the garage for a week, because they won't check.
This place has a resort fee of 14 dollars a day, which is ridiculous. It has nothing that a Holiday Inn couldn't provide. Many of the quaint B&Bs or small hotels in town would provide more comfort. Key West is fantastic, but this place is slowly corroding in the salt air and was responsible for nearly all the stress I experienced on my vacation. You trip will be better in my opinion if you avoid the Reach.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

After a lot of research we picked the Wyndham Reach Resort to stay on our honeymoon. The place is great; we barely left the hotel grounds during the daytime at all. Everyday we got up and went downstairs for breakfast. (Ps. get whatever package includes this; it’s really worth it) We sat just above the beach with a breathtaking view of palm trees and water. Then we would get a good place to sit in the Sun with the help of Mike, the person that runs the pool. Go upstairs, change and then back downstairs for some Sun. We would eat lunch just about everyday pool/beachside. The food at the Sand Bar is great and there are lots of frozen drinks to choose from. After some more sun, we would go upstairs and plan our dinner reservations. While we were there we went parasailing, snorkeling, kayaking, dolphin watching, and took a jet ski tour of Key West. We did all of this from the hotel! The Wyndham Reach Resort is a great place to stay if you want some piece and quiet but still want to be near the action of Duval St. My wife and I are in good shape so we walked just about everywhere. The only problem we had at all was with the billing.

• Stayed June 2005
Far away
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

We have stayed at the Reach for our honeymoon 8/7-8/14. We joined Wyndham ByRequest program (at no cost!) and we were truly satisfied with it. Without asking they upgraded our standard room with city view and a queen size bed to a junior suite with ocean view and a king size bed. The room was very clean and spacious with a full view of the blue ocean. At the arrival, a plate of fresh fruit and two small bottles of wine waited for us at the table. We had feather pillows instead of foam ones, just like we requested. Also, we had 30 free minutes of local calling and unlimited long distance calling. To our surprise, we found out that we also get free internet access. Unfortunately, we did not bring the telephone cable with us. We called the front desk and when we came down, they already had a cord ready for us. When we did not need cleaning services, the housekeeper manager would call us and ask if we need anything. The staff members would smile and greet us. There were only two small incidents at the hotel. First, my husband cut his foot on a carpet with a small piece of glass. The security came right down and filed a report, they also offered any medical help. Second, the elevator doors would not open while we were inside. We called help and the engineer was sent right away. The doors were opened in less than two minutes. On Key West, Wyndham hotel is the only hotel with a private beach. It is not the greatest beach, and because there isn't a current, there is a lot (some days there isn't any) of seaweed in the water. But the water is really warm, almost hot, and calm. There are two guys working on the beach who would bring your lounge chairs and towels (for free, of course). The only problem is that they would not give you any chairs, umbrellas, or towels after 4:30. But they close at 6:00. That's why we stopped tipping them. Guests os the Reach Resort can use amneties of the Casa Marina Resort, which has a bigger beach and two pools. The two resorts are within short walking distance, but it's possible to catch the time when the shuttle goes from one resort to another, as well as to the airport. Wyndham Reach Resort is definately one of the best hotels Key West has to offer.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!