Personally, when I think of a resort I think of an exclusive, high-end property. The Reach has a small, very nice, exclusive beach. However, I don't consider the rooms to be resort quality.
The positives: friendly and helpful staff, clean room, balcony with two chairs and a nice view, newspaper delivered each day, robes in the closet (if you like that kind of a thing), great pool area, private beach and pier, hammocks hanging between palm trees, giant outdoor chess game on the grounds, on site restaurant if the many local restaurants aren't enough, nice gift shop, close to Duval Street.
The negatives: A confusing set up. You have to wander outside walkways to find your room. I've always heard it said that hotels have interior hallways and room entrances, whereas motels have exterior walkways and room entrances. By this definition The Reach is a motel. I saw more than one person wandering the walkways with a confused look as they searched for their room. If you stay there long enough you'll figure it out. The rooms are also not that quiet. I often heard voices and closing doors from those staying around me. My room didn't have a coffee machine. Instead, there was an espresso machine. There were no drawers in which to place clothing.
Overall, this is a nice property. Like I said earlier, when I booked a room at a resort - a Waldorf Astoria at that - I expected more of a resort quality hotel than what I experienced. Compared to many of the other properties that I saw around the island, I will say this is probably one of the nicest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Key West's only private natural-sand beach, The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is an intimate, elegant destination for those seeking a casual retreat with the highest level of service. A warm sense of hospitality, gracious staff members, a beautiful shoreline and breathtaking sunshine all provide the backdrop for a memorable and romantic travel experience at our Key West hotel, just steps from Duval Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hilton Hotels, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Otel, Orbitz, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reach, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Reach Resort Key West