“Screwed up their screw up” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1435 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #29 of 41 hotels in Key West
Chicago, Illinois
“Screwed up their screw up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

It's a nice place but it doesn't deserve the Waldorf Astoria brand. Service at all levels was. Less than expected from WA or for the price. At checking the room wasn't ready even 30 minutes past the guaranteed checking time - we walked in on the housekeeper and she ended up leaving her supplies in the room and had to come back for them. Guess they thought we'd seen enough of the housekeeper because the next day at 5:00pm we still hadn't had the room made up. I stopped at the desk and asked if we had done something wrong. When we returned to the room hours later the room was made up and there was a card from the manager apologizing and saying we would have a credit on our bill - but when we checked out there was no credit! That was the screw up of the screw up! If they branded it Hampton Inn and gave the free breakfast I'd come back - short of that it isn't worth the price! We love Key West and had a great time even so!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Once again, I am very sorry that you experienced difficulties during your stay. Our intentions are always to provide a relaxing and luxurious stay. Unfortunately, we did not deliver and we are sorry for that.

The partial refund offered to you was a means to make amends for those areas where you felt we fell short of expectations. As I recall, the credit was inadvertently not applied to your bill. However, I was present during your check out and immediately corrected the error, fulfilling my promise of the partial refund.

Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.

1,953 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We came to celebrate our retirement. This hotel is so special and intimate. What a wonderful place for a special occasion. Treat every guest like royalty. Employees are awesome from doorman to check in desk top pool concearge to maids . Hotel is top notch. Will be back. This is an island resort without leaving the country.

• Stayed April 2013
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for chosing The Reach Resort to celebrate your retirement! I am glad that each of the departments delivered superior service to you throughout your stay! We look forward to your return. Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I needed a break so I booked a flight to Key West...looked at almost every hotel on the island and selected The Reach. Good choice, great location. Easy walk to Duval Street. Check in was quick and off to my room...the room was very clean and fully stocked, everything worked perfect, The a/c was super cold. The place is so relaxed with very little noise. Best sleep. The property is super clean. The staff members are the best!!! I did order room service and it was a little $$$ but the meal was good and got to the room fast. Check out was quick...they did call a taxi for me, only a five minute wait. I will book The Reach again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
I am so pleased that you had such a positive experience from beginning to end during your stay at The Reach. We hope that you consider us once again when returning to Key West! Thank you, Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.
New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My sister and I took our 85 year old Mother to Key West for her birthday. I've been to Key West four times but this was my first stay at The Reach. The location is excellent, the staff is amazing!!! Have to say Patrick and the pool staff made Mom feel like a Queen. The restaurant there was VERY good as well. We've already decided to go back to The Reach next year. It is my favorite place to stay in Key West.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
It is wonderful to hear that you and your family had such a great time celebrating your mother's 85th birthday! We loved having you all on property and look forward to your return visit! Our best, Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort
Anamosa, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We chose this hotel to celebrate our 30th anniversary and was not disappointed. Management gave us a free upgrade along with Champagne, chocolates and balloons. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Only down side was the cost of eating at the resort. At least the breakfast should have cost less. The location was great and loved the beach.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The Reach is in an excellent location, with a small private beach that's nice. Overall the staff is friendly, however heavily reliant on tips as the staff made it very clear to us on several occasions.

The rooms are normal hotel room size and the bed was comfortable.

There is a $25 dollar resort fee which includes free Internet, pool "toys" one floating raft, pool table and beach volley ball. All other activities you have to pay for like the paddle boards or bikes which in my opinion should be included in the resort fee.

Breakfast buffet was the biggest let down to the whole vacation. For $23 dollars a person I expect to see a large variety of options. They don't even have standard breakfast items such as pancakes, any cereal or oatmeals. Just an omelet station, some meats, very few cheeses and some bread and pastries. I expected from a resort like this to have a better breakfast buffet than a Holiday Inn which is definitely not the case.

The hotel overall is clean and well kept.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

After vacillating between The Reach and Casa Marina for our Key West stay, my husband and I chose The Reach for its smaller size and the availability of the private sand beach. We definitely made the right choice. Casa Marina is certainly a beautiful property as we noted when we paid a visit, but we were looking for something with a less frenetic pace.

The pool area was lovely and both it and the beach were well-maintained. I can't speak to the condition of all rooms but I certainly can say that our suite was beautiful and very clean. Outdoor hallways are not my favorite but they certainly didn't detract from my vacation. And with Duval Street just steps away, I can't imagine a hotel with a better location for savoring everything that Key West has to offer.

The staff was wonderful. Paul Bartush checked us in and, later in the day, took the extra effort to make sure we were happy with our accommodations. Brian and Gethro greeted us as we drove in and, after taking us to our room, Brian made sure we had a map marked with many restaurant recommendations. (If you stay at The Reach, do yourself a favor and take his recommendations. They're right on the mark.)

The only thing I missed was a pool bar. The one at Casa Marina was lovely but required a walk. Of course, given the wonderful restaurants to try in the Florida Keys, that might be a good thing.

The Reach is not formal, as some would expect when seeing the Waldorf name. If that's important to you, this might not be your place. But if you're looking for a beautiful hotel in a great location with a wonderful staff and a more laid-back atmosphere, book a room now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful experience at The Reach! Our team members pride themselves in providing exceptional service and going above and beyond. Thank you for recognizing their efforts. If you need assistance with future arrangements, please be in touch. Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.

Been to The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!