“Hotel placed at the best spor!” 4 of 5 stars

The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1435 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Key West
“Hotel placed at the best spor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Expectations are high when it's a Waldorf-hotel.

It's located on the beach which is not that common in Key West.

Standard rooms with small balconies.

If you go to Key West - choose this one or Sothernmost Hotel On The Beach, which is just beside.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel has indeed nice location and picturesque beach, but I cannot say anything else nice about this property. We spent 60,000 HH points to book a room that had dirty scrunched up carpet. We stayed at Hampton Inns that had nicer, bigger rooms. The room lacked in comfort but at least it made up with beautiful view of the beach. I'm glad the people experienced great service; I wasn't so fortunate and couldn't even get a towel at the pool until I was ready to return to my room. Worst of all I got a fungal infection after staying at the Reach. I never had ringworm before and I am sure I haven't gotten it elsewhere. Wasn't worth the points and the pain/discomfort I had to deal with. Thumbs down from me

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Paul B, Front Office Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am very sorry to not have had a chance to discuss your experiences with you while you were on property. It is unfortunate to read about guest dissatisfaction after the fact rather than when management could have taken action to assist you with a more pleasurable stay.

While I am sorry to hear about your fungal infection, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and property and have had no other claims of infections from any other guests. Sadly, your experiences differ greatly than the majority of our guests.

I would like to know if there is anything that I can do for you and would appreciate hearing from you. Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort.
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been staying at the reach for 5 years now, and what i have seen is a true decline in service and customer satisfaction. What topped it off was that i was given false information when I booked my room. I was given 10% off my rooms but they failed to tell me that would disclude me from the Stay and Play offer. So they ended up making money .... I see why they were so eager to change my rate.
Ricardo Patrick and John at the pool are still hands down the best of the best !!
The front desk ... Cindy Acevedo who offered to rent me a room by the hour is much to be desired. And the overall Hilton Customer Service was helpful but not even they could get through and help ! The showers have developed mold and I rent 3 rooms per stay all three had mold and the carpet is beyond tired. This is the first negative review I have written of the reach but it looks like after 5 years and 7 stays I cannot return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

For a high end hotel they can do better hence I only gave them a 3. Service was what I would expect from a $200 a night beach hotel, not $600+

The good

Great location, nice restaurant nothing fancy, bell hops were great.

The Bad

The housekeeping was a bit erratic, you better use your do not disturb otherwise they will keep knocking, did not understand arranging a time, one day they did not come at all.

The pool service was an F the first couple days, nobody serving drinks, you had to walk inside to the bar to get a drink, nothing outside anywhere to be found. The last two days they did have staff.

More good

We loved Key West and this was good location for families on the south side of the Island
Great ocean views
The local outfitters work hard, Kayaks, jet Ski's etc
Walk to Hemmingway House

More bad

The staff is marginalized by function
The spa in the sister hotel was not a spa just a converted double room advertised as a spa

Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We chose to start a week long adventure from Key West to Charleston by staying at The Reach. We are so glad we did! From the moment we arrived until we departed, everything was perfect!

The bellman took our luggage to our room and gave us an introduction / orientation to the property. This hotel has the only natural beach on the island and we loved it! Especially the hammocks sprinkled around the area.

Our room faced the water and we slept with the sliding glass door open to hear the waves and create a lovely ambiance for our sleep.

The coffee maker was Nespresso and was perfect for us. Room service breakfast was correct and at just about the time they said it would be. This hotel was perfect and we will be back for another time in Key West.

Oh, and it is on the opposite end of the island from the bars so it is quiet. We walked it a few times and rented an electric car for a few hours so it is possible to get to the "Scene" without taking a cab. Just depends on if you want wild, quiet or a mix.

Room Tip: Ask and pay for an ocean front room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul B, Front Desk Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Reach! We pay close attention to what our guests are saying in order for us to maintain superior service during all aspects of your stay. We hope that you will consider another visit with us in the future. Paul Bartush, Front Desk Manager, The Reach Resort
Daytona Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has everything you need, clean rooms, nice small private beach with hammocks and Pier to watch the sunset.
The service is great, a must is a great breakfast buffet on the Striphouse restaurant terrace! Why I gave 4 stars is only because the pool wasn't heated and the bed was not really comfy. But overall really happy, if we go to Key West would stay again!

• Stayed December 2012
Kemah, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We decided to run down to Key West for a couple nights and booked here. The front desk staff was fantastic and very helpful. We had a nice view of the ocean from our balcony and the room was very roomy. It looked from the site map the rooms vary a lot in size so maybe we jut got lucky. The only surprise was the bar where we went for our free arrival drinks. I was with my wife & daughters and it has a 40s stripper theme. Tame for Key West but we didn't expect it here. Bartender was very friendly and helpful. Only a short block from Duval but quiet and peaceful. We plan to go back in April.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean front on top floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!