“Weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Key West
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Beautifully comfortable, right on the beach and a short taxi ride into town. The suite was spacious and fully equipped. Food at the bar was delicious a cacophony of flavor in the chefs very inventive Mediterranean flat bread.. highly recommend.
The bell chaps and door men were so friendly and courteous, ready to help.

My husband was running the Key100 race , he collapsed into bed exhausted and dehydrated at midnight, he so wanted some soup or something, but room service could only offer pizza! I was rather surprized that that was all this splendid hotel could offer.
Also, the walls and ceilings are paper thin. We could hear other guests conversations well in to the night.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Polish first
Centreville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

A nice hotel but not as exceptional as we expected at a Waldorf Astoria property.

We checked in online with the HHonors application which worked great. The only problem, the hotel gave our room away before we arrived. Not a great start. They attempted tom make up for it with a few dollars off the bill but it did not cover the overall inconvenience or disappointment.

Our room was nice and functional but again not what we imagined it should be for Waldorf Astoria.

The beach service and staff were great. Everyone was VERY helpful and the little surprises throughout the day was a treat.

The hotel dining was good but not worth the high price.

There were a lot of private event held on the hotel grounds that were very loud on several nights (loud music and crowds). If that might bother you, ask what is on the calendar before you arrive.

The hotel is a fairly long walk away from restaurants and shops. On the positive side, the area is private and quiet.

Overall a nice choice despite the problems although I'm still not sure it is a good value for the money.

Stayed May 2015
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a wonderful location in Key West with a great beach. The staff is helpful and the service at our meeting was very good.

The quality of the rooms leaves a lot to be desired. I expected a lot more under the Waldorf Astoria brand. The mattress was old and uncomfortable and it sloped toward the phone from people sitting on it (in the age of cell phones, that should tell you how old it must be). Electrical outlets were very hard to come by (most properties have added additional charging options near the bed, but not this one). The sheer curtains on both windows had multiple lengthwise tears in them that were very visible and they were also noticeably dirty. The bathroom was functional but a little tired.

All in all, a great location but I hope the rooms are scheduled for a renovation.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I spent four nights at the Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria resort for our anniversary in May of 2015. The bones and joints of the hotel were nice and the staff were good but this property does not live up to the Waldorf Astoria name. The original Waldorf Astoria in New York City epitomized luxury, The Casa Marina unfortunately falls a bit short of this. The Hilton family of hotels relatively recently started to brand certain hotels with the Waldorf Astoria branding. When I think of a Waldorf Astoria property, I think of a property on par with the Waldorf Astoria in NYC or something akin to a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. Like my title says, The Casa Marina would be a great Holiday Inn but there is no way that this property should be marketed as a Waldorf property. The Casa Marina features Waldorf pricing without Waldorf quality.

BOOKING: Was quick and easy through the hilton.com website. The Casa Marina is also bookable through most online travel agencies and websites.

PARKING: Valet parking and self parking are available. Valet parking is $30/day and Self Parking is $20/day. For HHonors Diamond members, self parking is free of charge and Valet parking is $15/day. The self parking lot is across the street from the hotel and easy to access.

CHECKIN: The front desk staff were friendly and I was recognized as an HHonors Diamond member. We had a five minutes wait before the room was ready which was no big deal. As a Diamond member I was given a certificate for a discount on spa services.

LOCATION: The hotel is within walking distance of Duval Street and most of the big attractions of Key West while still being in a quite mainly residential area with a nice oceanfront location.

THE ROOM: The indoor hallways are a bit dark and dingy. This was the biggest strike against the Casa Marina in terms of it being marketed as a Waldorf resort. The room was on the smaller side as was the balcony. The furniture is dated and the amenities were definitely lacking for a Waldorf resort. A perfect example of the lacking quality was the towel bar in the shower. The bar was loose and anytime a towel was placed on it, the bar would fall. I left the bar on the shower floor one day hoping the housekeeper would have maintenance come by and fix it. Apparently she just returned the bar to it's precarious position and once again it fell when I put a towel on it during my next shower. Robes are available for use ($80 to purchase if you want to keep one) but there were no slippers available. There was a safe in the closet as well as an umbrella, an iron and an ironing board. There is a flat screen TV with Cable and HBO but no in-room pay movie service. The bed was the typical Hilton family bed and there was an i-Clock with docking station on the night stand. In addition to the bed, there was a chair with chaise (both of which were a bit dirty) in the room. There were two chairs and a small table on the balcony as well.

CONNECTIVITY: There is resort-wide wifi at a cost of $15 per day (free for Gold and Diamond members). The wifi signal was quite weak and frequently un-discoverable by most of our (my wife and I) devices. Because of the weak signal, the internet was frequently slow and streaming was a lost cause on the devices that had a signal.

FOOD: Because this property is marketed as a Waldorf Astoria property, HHonors Gold and Diamond members do not receive complementary breakfast. My wife and I had the buffet breakfast on our first morning and while the quality was average to good, the selection was somewhat limited at a cost of about $25/person (Waldorf pricing). We went out and about on the town for breakfast on our subsequent days in Key West. We decided to get room service on our last night. The dinner was actually pretty good with good portions but the $10/slice Key Lime pie was more tart than sweet. I requested ice cream with the meal and was told something that I have never heard at any hotel (even in much warmer climates). I was told that "we don't have ice cream because of the warm climate". My though was the warm climate is the exact reason to have the ice cream, just make sure you have a freezer. In the end we spent a little bit shy of $100 for two people which is typical if not a bit high for hotel room service (again Waldorf pricing).

STAFF: All of the staff were polite and helpful. The staff are one aspect of this resort that is Waldorf quality. There was what I like to call a nightly "Turn down lite" service. Between 5 and 6PM someone would come by with chocolates and water which was a nice touch. There was no official turn down service however, something you would expect at a "Waldorf Astoria" level resort.

RESORT ACTIVITIES: The resort had two pools (one for families and one only for adults) and adequate lounging facilities. The resort grounds are well kept and picturesque and nice for sunrise/sunset walks. There was a sand volleyball court and a few hammocks in addition to sun chairs by the pool and on the beach. Because this is a resort you will be charged a daily resort fee of $25.

SPA/EXERCISE FACILITIES: While I am ashamed to say that I did not use the exercise facilities at all (shame on me), I can at least say that I didn't spend any extra money getting massages either so I can't comment on either at this resort.

VALUE FOR MONEY: We spent $359/night for a king bedded room with an oceanview. The room was definitely not a room that should command $359/night. When you take the mandatory $25/day resort fee into account, the nightly rate was really $384/night. I have no problem spending $384/night (or more for a room) but when I spend this amount of money, I don't want to feel like I am just paying for the Waldorf name. I want to feel like the property is making the investment in the rooms (not just the common areas) to warrant my investment in them.

SUMMARY: The Casa Marina has potential but it does not live up to the Waldorf Astoria branding. The hotel either needs to put more of an investment in the guest rooms and hallways to match the common areas or it needs to considering re-branding as a Hilton or a really nice DoubleTree. If I were to return to Key West, I would consider another property that either charged less or a property that had similar pricing but guest rooms that warranted that premium. I can understand why despite being the only luxury brand on Key West (along with The Reach another even lower rated Waldorf property on Key West), the Casa Marina is 28 out of 46 hotels on Trip Advisor. The Casa Marina would be a great Holiday Inn but it definitely does not live up to being called a Waldorf Astoria property.

Room Tip: Request an Ocean View
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Cole T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear idries,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your recent stay at the Casa Marina. Feedback like yours is the best indicator for what we can improve on and where we are already excelling. We greatly appreciate you putting so much effort into such an honest and straightforwrad review.

To start, I am very glad to hear that you received great, polite, and professional service from everyone on our team. We are always striving to provide excellent service, and I am proud that you believe we live up to our Walorf name. Moreover, I'm happy that you thought highly of our property common areas, since our resort grounds are some of the most attractive on the island.

As far as your comments regarding the rooms, hallways, and value, I'm dissapointed that we didn't live up to the standard that you expected, but I'm grateful for you offering your opinion. I can assure you that our upper management will read and note your thoughts, as will Hilton corporate, our owners. Thank you again, and please consider staying with us the next time you are in Key West.

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Our first stay here but not our last ! An absolute fantastic experience, great suite with ocean view, from our arrival (fantastically handled by Vince with the Valet team, our suite assignment by Evelyn, the day Manager, she quickly solved a reservation issue to our complete satisfaction, our beach day activities nicely handled by Matteo, and the weather was clearly handled by the Key West Chamber of Commerce, beautiful every day, no rain, nice breezes, and great drinks from the pool side bar. I like the ideal of two pools, one for the adults and one for the kids, the breakfast buffet was fantastic, fresh fruit, meats, cheeses etc. Too many activities to list here but cannot think of any water or beach activity that was not available ! All in all, we are already planning a return trip !

Room Tip: rooms that face the pools are nice but can be a bit noisy as the evening begins !!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Dear anserman,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent trip to the Casa Marina. Based on all of your comments, you obviously had a great time at our property, which is fantastic. We really appreciate your feedback, and we will be sure to recognize Vince, Evelyn, and Matteo for the great work they did with you while you were here. We look forward to seeing you when you return to Key West!

Marlton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Very beautiful resort property, right on the beach. Has two big pools. One pool is for families and one for adults only (which is pretty awesome). They have a restaurant right on the beach. The room we got was soooo beautiful. It had the old vintage feel with high ceilings and those big french windows. We had this amazing Nespresso Espresso machine in our room which made the best coffee in the world. The staff is nice and friendly. The parking is 20$ per day. Its a bit too much but whatever. The concierge is pretty helpful. They have a breakfast buffet for 20$ each person. So we ordered one omlette which was 17$ but the quantity was huge and it was so yummy!!!! And its walking distance to duval and southernmost beach cafe. I have read reviews where people are whining and complaining about this place being super expensive and they being charged for everything. Well, whatever this resort charges for, everything is written on the website from where you book the place. So why would you come, stay and then whine later? I mean when we booked it through hotwire, it told us it doesn't have free parking or internet. But our internet was free. We really liked it. Would totally go back.

Room Tip: Beautiful rooms. Very spacious. No free parking. Beautiful pools. Beautiful restaurant/bar on the be...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Cole T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Varuna D,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent trip to the Casa Marina. Based on your comments, you really seem to have enjoyed your time here and experienced everything that makes our resort special. Our property was built back in 1920, and you are correct in identifying the historic and vintage atmosphere as one of the most attractive aspects of the hotel itself. Please consider staying with us again for your next vacation in paradise!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Not only is this hotel beautiful and the experience amazing, the staff is wonderful. While all individuals we encountered were extremely nice and helpful, the pool staff outshone them all. Matteo, Daniel, and Constantine are the very best at what they do and they made the difference when it came to our experience at the hotel. They were so knowledgeable and helpful with everything and went above and beyond each day. We looked forward to our trips to the pool/beach because we knew they would take such great care of us. They are a joy to converse with and they work so hard all day long to make every guest's experience top notch.
Also, the fact that there is an adult pool separate from the family pool is a fantastic setup. The food and drinks at the Sun Sun Bar were so good, but the drinks did seem overpriced.

Dear Jessica P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Casa Marina. We always appreciate guest feedback because your comments offer the best evaluation of how we are doing as a resort. I'm very glad to hear that the pool staff made such an impression on you. We always strive for excellent and unparalleled service, and the pool and beach team are some of our best. We will definitelty recognize Matteo, Daniel, and Constantine for the great work with you. We hope to see you again for your next vacation in paradise!

Best,

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!