“Key West Birthday Bash” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Madison, United States
“Key West Birthday Bash”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Wonderful week at the Casa Marina to celebrate my husband's and his 2 friends' birthdays (same day, different years). Couldn't ask for a nicer, friendlier, cleaner, fun hotel. Within walking distance to all the island attractions and exceptional restaurants, including the delicious food at the Casa Marina! Looking forward to going back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Greensboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staying at the Casa Marina for our anniversary was a wise choice. The hotel is beautiful but the staff was excellent and personable. CarlosValdez and Patrick made sure that our trip was perfect in every way. Everyone, from the front desk to the pool staff and restaurant staff was just great. Let's face it, the hotel can be great, but if the staff is not, it just ruins the trip. We lucked out with a great hotel and great staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Jim N Phyllis W,

We are so happy you were able to celebrate your anniversary with us! We can always count on Carlos and Patrick to make sure our guests are well taken care of. We will be sure to pass on your comments to them. We hope to see you again very soon.

Steven Tresh
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel, lovely rooms, so nice by the pool. Staff keep coming around with free drinks, ice pops, etc. Everyone so friendly. You can snorkel right off the beach. The beach itself isn't spectacular, but it's probably one of the best in Key West. Key West beaches aren't great. But the water is warm and clean and clear.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Ellington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Casa Marina is a great choice if you're visiting Key West. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. If we had any problems during our stay they were addressed and solved quickly. The hotel is a quick 15 minute walk away from Duval St. which is where a lot of the restaurants/bars and shops are located. I was very impressed by the look of the property. There were two large pools, one for adults who want quiet and one where kids are allowed. This was great since I wasn't too impressed with the beaches. There were a lot of rocks and a lot of seaweed wherever you go on the island so having a nice pool was essential. I walked around a few of the other properties and the pools were tiny and very crowded. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Key West.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Pretty good. Disappointed by the restaurant for the dinner. There is only one restaurant with few tables and the choice of the food is limited. The pool was not always clean. By the end of the day it was disgusting because people were allowed to eat and drink in the pool even if there was a sign at the entrance saying the opposite. Finally some concierges are not good. You must be careful. One of them didn't write the correct address of the activity on the ticket and I have to run from an address to another. Be careful with one of the activity that proposes you to go on a boat for 1 day to do snorkeling and other stuffs. We went in a middle of ocean with a lot of wind and giants jellies. We all got bitten and the crew just warned us about sharks but none of them came into the water with us. It was very expensive for nothing and believe me I love snorkeling I went to Hawaii it was awesome but over there we didn't even see one fish. Besides that It's a beautiful hotel. I went for a two-hour tour in jet ski it was really great.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Platte City, m
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

First, the good. The place was the best looking on Key West. Relaxing beach, close to everything, super pina coladas! The view from our ocean view room was great. Room was comfortable.

We paid the extra to stay here as it was for our honeymoon. I knew in advance drinks, food, etc would be expensive. Yeah, you pay for parking and resort fee, etc. We came into the hotel expecting above average level of service.

Now, the bad....and while we had a great time in Key West, I cannot recommend this hotel.
First, I wanted to pre-arrange before arrival some flowers in the room and a bottle of champagne. They do no pre-assign rooms, so it would have to wait till we went out for dinner the first night. Seems fair enough. Except the concierge hung up on me. 3 times in a row. With her apologizing every single time, I didn't call back a 4th time....

The place was kind of a mess. Parts of the elevator inside paneling were peeling, paint was flaking inside and out, and other parts were just downright dirty. However, its humid, wet, etc down here, so while a place like this should be taking care of these issues, I can see how they happen.

The real bad,...We had an incident where we were riding our bikes (everyone bikes in Key West, no need to have a car) back into the bicycle parking. Legally. Well, a valet almost hit me returning someone's car, about a foot from my honeymoon turning into a hospital trip. My new wife would have been far worse if he hadn't stopped. He rolled down the window and told me to watch out. I'm very used to this type of behavior being a recreational cyclist, so I honestly blew it off. Until we get to the front door. He opens the door for me, and tells me I need to be more careful, or I could get hurt. I explain to him that he was lucky he didn't kill us and that kind of behavior, and attitude was unnaceptable. He wouldn't so much as apologize, so I walk to the front desk and I ask to talk with thee manager on duty as it was about 730 pm (valet follows me over to drop something off, and when he hears me, says, "oh here we go"). Manager tried to be helpful, sort of in a way, but was doing things like asking me my room number with the valet standing right there, who was making comments the whole time. A complete lack of class, honestly. You stay at a place like this, precisely to not be treated like this. A week later and I still can't comprehend how poorly this was handled, first by the valet who could have simply apologized, then by the manager who allowed the folly to continue.

Finally, just the attitude of the staff in general. Some were extremely nice, but most made it obvious they did not want to be there and that guests staying in the hotel was a major inconvienance to them being on their cell phones...

I will be returning to Key West, as we honestly had a great time down there. However, I will NOT be returning to this hotel. I can spend 1/3 of the cost and be treated the same, or probably better, about anywhere else.

Room Tip: King Ocean view in the new buildings was quite nice, great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear thepaul500,

We're very thankful that you chose to stay with us for such a special occasion and enjoy our beautiful property. Unparalleled service is very important and can assure you that your concerns about the unfortunate experience you had with our valet staff have been addressed. Please contact me at steven.tresh@waldorfastoria.com to discuss your stay further. Thank you again for your feedback.

Steven Tresh
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Key West has the eclectic, noisy, fun city streets with the cafes and shopping. But it also has a beautiful beach - on the east side of the island. Since an island vacation for us is lounging on the sand, beverage in hand, we chose the Casa Marina as home base and were very pleased. Truly a top notch resort, with all the amenities of a property oriented to the ocean. The beach is extensive, with chairs/towels/food/shade - all you need for a day looking across the Atlantic. The para sailing and jet skis kept my daughter busy while I finished a book and a daquiri or two. The room was newly renovated, cool and tropical, with all the expected amenties. Service was good, unobtrusive, but helpful when a question came up. When it was time for town, we caught a cab for the short ride to Duval, usually enjoying the mile or so walk back to the hotel. For our major island sight seeing we did a local hop on - hop off trolley tour that stopped directly in front of the Casa Marina. We did not have any meals on the property except one late room service dinner and a light lunch pool side. If you want the ratio of relaxing to bar hopping to lean toward relaxing - the right side of the island is Casa Marina.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!