“great location, private beach” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great rates from $239/nt
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Key West
chapel hill
“great location, private beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We really enjoyed having private beach and pool, so there was not flood of other people and you could get good service. Prices were high but that is what I would expect. Bicycle is the way to get around not moped. Everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Western New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with our adult children as part of a graduation trip. We wanted to stay in a nicer hotel and we booked through Hotwire which gave a 4-1/2* rating. Overall I would say we liked it, my husband & I had a 1st floor room overlooking pool area. The set up & design of the room was a little awkward with the TV being 20 feet or more from the bed area but really we spent little time in the room. We rented bikes at the hotel & found that to be the fastest way to see Key West. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant or really use the pool area. If we were to return to Key West I probably would not spend the money to stay at this hotel, I would stay closer to the center of town and spend the money on other activities. Really no glaring complaints about the hotel, but not really wowwed either. The things that made the vacation fun had nothing to do with the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I were upgraded to a beautiful suite with a patio that faced the ocean. This
was the last helpful act by the staff at this Waldorf Astoria hotel. Staff was stingy with sharing
information about the town or giving directions. The exception to this was the waitstaff at breakfast. Our breakfast buffet was generous and had great variety.
The pool staff were awful. They gave out towels grudgingly. Worse they gave away our lounge chairs when we went to play ping pong for an hour. Even our newspapers were removed.Not enough umbrellas to shade us from fierce sun and heat.
They seemed to cater to foreign tourists. May of the staff were Eastern Europeans and clearly
didn not care for US tourists.
We had nice dinner on the beach one night and enjoyed our waiter and the fresh fish.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view. You have your own patio and lounge chairs.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night whilst visiting Key West. Patrick on the front desk was very helpful & attentive but other than that in my opinion the service was poor for a full service hotel. There was no help offered to get sun chairs for the beach & no apparent drinks service around the pool area. In room breakfast arrived early & the toast that was ordered was just warm bread. The valet parking was very chaotic too. Not an experience we would wish to repeat.

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

As a current Hotel GM I expect great service and quality when looking to stay at a hotel. I actually booked through the revenue manager and told him this was my surprise engagement trip and thought he would note that in the reservations. Guess I was wrong !! Many things were wrong at this resort. First when u arrive be prepared to wait 15-30 min for a cab because the resort has no shuttle service at all which is shocking to me. On arrival not only could they not find my reservation but they had no idea why we were there. Again no notes made for my special occasion anywhere . We get into our ocean front view and the rooms couldn't be any smaller. Obvious problems in room were mold in shower, stained floor drain in shower, paint chips falling off door and peeling off in bathroom, bed not made completely and a huge critter crawling around in room. Make sure you also bring hand soap as this hotel has zero in the bathroom. Even the bathrooms has no fans for guests to eliminate steam from showers.Knowing the hotel was sold out I did not request a room change but I did call Kasha Nowak the resort manager and ask her to call me ASAP. To this day no return call has been made from Kasha Nowak or any management . We stayed two days and both days the pool/beach guys told us sorry we have no towels . We are short towels and they never order enough from the Bahamas. Again , shocked by this at a 4 star resort. The food was also a shocker.we arrived and ordered the lb of shrimp. Covered in shrimp poo and not peeled were all the shrimp so we sent back immediately . Why would my fiancé who just got her nails done for vacation get shrimp shells and poo all over her hands ? Not classy. On top of the 90 degree heat you would think the shrimp would be served over a bed of crushed ice to stay cold, nope after 5 min the cold shrimp were hot and just disgusting . Horrible presentation and planning on this dish . Every question I had asked the servers at lunch and dinner they were clueless about the food preparation. Horrible staff training at this hotel. Next what happened was very rude by the bartending staff outside. My 24 yr old fiancé was rudely asked in a loud manner , how old are you anyway? She was shocked and tol her and then the female bartender replied with well give me your liscense . My fiancé was embarrassed and appalled by this treatment in front of other guests and refused to go back so we left. After my surprise proposal away from the hotel I called to make plans to celebrate on the patio near beach with some wine or champagne . Wen I called they said great well just come here and they will help you . No personal touch or service at all . How this place trains their staff to go above and beyond I have no idea !! Everyone in staffing is real short with guets and seemed distant with guests as I watched very closely . There are a few more things but I think you get the gist. Save your money and stay at the
top rated hotels on this site. Not worth the money to get such a bad experience and have management not care. I even wrote these things on my comment card in the room, where's the reply from that?

• Stayed May 2013
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear MikeWilson65,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are devastated to hear about your experiences while staying with us. It's our responsibility to create the best experience for our guests and help create wonderful memories. I'm sorry we couldn't make your special day more personable. If you have a moment, we would like the the opportunity to look into this further. Please contact me at steven.tresh@waldorfastoria.com

Steven Tresh
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Old style hotel with friendly, helpful staff. A little pricey, but worth the expense. Nice size rooms and quality linens. The breakfast buffet was excellent each morning. Great location. Rent a bike and see the entire island.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed at the Casa Marina twice in the past year. It was great both times.
Staff was pleasant, and courteous. The grounds were relaxing, and the view is
stunning. We spent our days at the pool where we were taken care of by Austin, Bob, &
Constantine. They took care of everything we asked, and then some! They were great! Also, Mark was there to suggest awesome restaurants in the area, and give us any kind of information we needed about Key West. Couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!