“Lovely place” 4 of 5 stars

$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Key West
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Casa Marina was a lovely place to visit. It had the feel of old world charm but lacked some of the modern upgrades. The food choices are very limiting and can only be eaten outside during lunch and dinner. The room I stayed in was very nice with a large balcony over looking the back pool and beach area. It was lovely at night. The beach is rocky but plenty of space for laying out. To swim in the ocean you had to go down the pier and go down the stairs.

We were there during March Madness and could not find a comfortable place to watch a game. The TVs in the outside bar were too small as well as the TVs in the rooms.

The lack of food choices were a big disappointment. The small old elevators were filthy and after three days we told the attendants and they were cleaned. We were surprised this was not a priority for the cleaning crew. For 300+ a night you would have thought more care would be taken to the cleanliness of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
  • Polish first
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We booked last minute and had very few options so at least the Waldorf had some openings. The room was about $500 and was very small. Our room shared a door with the neighbor who lucky for us had a dog that barked. Yay! We asked if we could move to another room but everything else was booked. The walls are quite thin so you could hear other guests walking down the hall and the cleaning crew. Bring a noise machine with you so you can sleep. We downloaded an app on our iPhone to get us through the night. The lobby is nice as is the pool area but I would have preferred to stay at a location fitting of the price if you are paying that much money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear NChotelrater,

Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback about the neighbor's dog and housekeeping team. We are currently looking into ways to minimize outside noise, and have reminded our team to be more conscientious of their surroundings. Your comments will be helpful in our efforts to continually improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can provide the singular Waldorf luxury experience you deserve.

Warm Regards,

Steven Tresh
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Third trip to C M ,first in 2007. Well yes, the furnishings are getting worn,But, are you really there to sit in the room?!!! Just sit back ,take a breath, and have fun.be nice, smile, say please and thank you( make your mom pround),it's your time away,just look for what's good.It is a beautiful,historic place to visit, and that please and thank you goes a long way.So, here's my vacation story:Feb14-22-13.
Oh my,Valentine's day,My handsome prince( married 33yrs!),took me away.After traveling,we didn't think we could get in for dinner.the outside was open and we were seated within 20 mins. They had a special dinner, it was delis, and our sweet waitress from holland, was great.All the sudden the sky opened, the rain was coming ever direction! We were under cover but still getting soaked.We wer given Warmed towels.So nice to wrap up and run to our room.
Next day I ran into our Housekeeper.I told her I really appreciated her doing our room,(we do have 7 children ,so someone else doing anything means a lot to me) .WELLL,Yalania,(sorry if I missed spelling),really went to the top.She made animal towels every day.It made it so much fun to come back to room and find a new one.Thank you
And then,I say "MYpool boys". Well,if you say please, thank you, and take the time to talk,You won't regret it. They are contracted thru Barefoot Billy,(remember, some are far from home, kind words and a little extra goes along way! )They will make you feel great!
The cabanas are wonderful( although, I joked I needed a step stool to get on it) ,and I really became a Princess.Mark,gave us great restaurant tips,things to do etc.,just liked talking to him.And ,BobBobBaran,,Constantine ,
and Austin made sure we were happy.(hey, my princess wand doesn't work at home).Yes, Mark gave me a wand!!and I had a blast flashing it our last day.
So, here's my comment: If you want to get away,Enjoy who your with,have fun getting to know new people(I think you get what you give,just be happy ).Casa Marina is worth it.Rememeber ,smile,please and thank you...oh my, it opens all kind of things.Been home a month, can't wait to go back.
P.s. we had a blast hiding postit notes for" My pool boys" just to let them know I really appreciated all they did. Thanks Game On!!!! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Oceanside is must and worth it,great sunsets
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wooster, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's a little sad, because Hilton had its day in the '50s and '60s and the Casa Marina had its heyday ages ago. Still, this resort is nicely located on a beautiful, quiet beach and the resort buildings still have an elegance that can't be equaled by newly constructed hotels. The room decor is generic Hilton modern and the resort food and service are adequate. If you don't come with high expectations, this hotel is about the best you can do in Key West, which is wildly overpriced and tourist-ridden these days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights here this past weekend. We booked through our American Express Platinum Travel. We were supposed to get noon check in when available. It was even requested on our reservation. We arrived at 1:30 pm, hopful that we would be able to check in. We were told that our room wasn't ready. Our room wasn't ready until 4:45 p.m. I checked in with the front desk at 3:30 and they said 10 more minutes. At 4:30 p.m., I finally went back and pestered the front desk. They were able to give me a room at that point and said that the person who was in our room paid extra to stay till 4 pm. We were very happy with the rooma and all the resort facilities. The outdoor areas were beautiful. The food from the pool bar/restaraunt was great. The service at breakfast was awful. Both days our server disappeared mid way through our meal and my husbad had to go get the coffe carafe to refill our cups. We also waited a long time to get our bill both mornings. Another couple who was sitting near by us complained about the same thing as they had to refill their orange juice themselves from a carafe on the server's station. The server at the pool was okay. The pool/towel attendants would put towles on all the chairs that had sun the first hald of the day by 8:30 am and would say they were reserved. Most of those reserved chairs stayed empty until mid day. I am not sure if certain guests or members there paid the attendants extra do do this but it made it difficult to get a seat at the pool, especially a seat that was in the sun. The bartenders were also hit or miss. We spent a lot of time at the pool bar and it wasn't always easy to get service. This place is worth a visit...you will enjoy the views and the facilities, just dont expect to be catered to!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

One of the things that really became an irritant is the smoking policy. They allow it on the balconies and the beaches. That means if you don't smoke and you get one or more of your neighbors who do it isn't pleasant. We mostly tried to work around it but then some guy lights a stogie up on the beach. Thirty years ago when everyone smoked around you I got that you had to suck it up but in 2013 and you're paying almost $400 a night to stay here I'm just not liking it.

This is a resort that does have a nice view. Somewhat small so once you've walked the roughly 2 football length of the rear that's what you get.

The rooms are ok but a bit on the small side and while some of the resort looks nice other parts of it look like it could use a wee bit of touch up.

The location is within walking distance of Duval Street which is the main tourist attraction after dark. Casa Marina is closer to the quieter side of Duval so if you prefer the wilder bar side it might be a consideration since you have to either hoof it back or have been insightful enough to have rented a scooter and not forgotten where you parked it.

Casa Marina being a resort expect resort prices. Count on breakfast being $20 per person with tip. A much better deal is to walk over to Duval and have breakfast at someplace like the Banana Cafe. We had omelettes and the like that saved us upwards of $15+ dollars and the amount of salmon they provided was impressive if you like salmon that is.

Dinner is not really much of an offering at the resort so be prepared to hike over to Duvall or other streets for dinner. Actually that's sort of the charm as far as I can see is to go looking and find a place to eat that matches your tastes and wallet.

Room Tip: Our room is facing the ocean and it seems a good many do. It's a fairly nice view so even if you...
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am a regular to Key West, but usually stay in gay, clothing optional hotels in the old town. Not this time. I was travelling with my mom and brother, neither of whom had been to Key West in decades. I chose the Casa Marina as it was the only place that would take three adults for one night only over a holiday weekend in February. I was glad I did. The Casa is a full service resort with its own large and private beach sitting precisely on the Atlantic Ocean. Regulars to Key West know that there are few beaches; they're paltry, artifical, and not that nice (compared to Miami). The Casa's beach is rich and plentiful with white sand, chairs, hammocks, umbrellas, full service bars, two pools, refelcting pools, outside dining, jet ski and bicycle rentals, etc. For anyhone looking for a romantic time at a resort on the ocean, this is the place to go. On the other hand, it is also a stone's throw to the "Southern Most Point" a popular photo op place on the edge of an air base 90 miles from Cuba. It is also an easy walk to Duval and all the local shops, galleries, and restaraunts that Key West has to offer. The Casa is about a mile from the sunset famous Mallory Square, but it is a fun walk past all the shops of Duval street. The many bars and restaraunts at the Casa are all first rate. The food is pricey, as you would expect. And I was dissappointed to have ordered a spiny Florida lobster tail at $37.00 only to get something scarcely larger than a prawn, more like a langostino if you ask me. The breakfast was just the oppisite. Portions were large and delicious, easily big enogh to share. The room we had was a double looking towards town. Ocean side rooms were about a $100.00 more per night. Since we were already paying over $500.00 a night for our room, including a "resort" fee, whatever that is, we opted for a stroll along the private beach and piers jutting out in the ocean rather than the more expensive room with a view. The rooms were spartan by Waldorf standards, probably to accommodate bathing suit glad, sandal wearing tourists rather than business folks wearing wingtips. All in all, the hotel was fine. I would recommend it to anyone who prefers a full service resort on the ocean rather than staying in the older parts of town in a most likely much smaller cottage with a window air conditioner. Some of the older places in Key West do have fantastic tropical courtyards though; quite a contrast to the Casa. It is all a matter of taste, time and money.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for ocean side and watch the sunrise over the Atlantic ocean. Then, in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!