“It's a Hilton.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Key West
Wooster, Ohio
“It's a Hilton.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's a little sad, because Hilton had its day in the '50s and '60s and the Casa Marina had its heyday ages ago. Still, this resort is nicely located on a beautiful, quiet beach and the resort buildings still have an elegance that can't be equaled by newly constructed hotels. The room decor is generic Hilton modern and the resort food and service are adequate. If you don't come with high expectations, this hotel is about the best you can do in Key West, which is wildly overpriced and tourist-ridden these days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,098)
  • Polish first
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights here this past weekend. We booked through our American Express Platinum Travel. We were supposed to get noon check in when available. It was even requested on our reservation. We arrived at 1:30 pm, hopful that we would be able to check in. We were told that our room wasn't ready. Our room wasn't ready until 4:45 p.m. I checked in with the front desk at 3:30 and they said 10 more minutes. At 4:30 p.m., I finally went back and pestered the front desk. They were able to give me a room at that point and said that the person who was in our room paid extra to stay till 4 pm. We were very happy with the rooma and all the resort facilities. The outdoor areas were beautiful. The food from the pool bar/restaraunt was great. The service at breakfast was awful. Both days our server disappeared mid way through our meal and my husbad had to go get the coffe carafe to refill our cups. We also waited a long time to get our bill both mornings. Another couple who was sitting near by us complained about the same thing as they had to refill their orange juice themselves from a carafe on the server's station. The server at the pool was okay. The pool/towel attendants would put towles on all the chairs that had sun the first hald of the day by 8:30 am and would say they were reserved. Most of those reserved chairs stayed empty until mid day. I am not sure if certain guests or members there paid the attendants extra do do this but it made it difficult to get a seat at the pool, especially a seat that was in the sun. The bartenders were also hit or miss. We spent a lot of time at the pool bar and it wasn't always easy to get service. This place is worth a visit...you will enjoy the views and the facilities, just dont expect to be catered to!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

One of the things that really became an irritant is the smoking policy. They allow it on the balconies and the beaches. That means if you don't smoke and you get one or more of your neighbors who do it isn't pleasant. We mostly tried to work around it but then some guy lights a stogie up on the beach. Thirty years ago when everyone smoked around you I got that you had to suck it up but in 2013 and you're paying almost $400 a night to stay here I'm just not liking it.

This is a resort that does have a nice view. Somewhat small so once you've walked the roughly 2 football length of the rear that's what you get.

The rooms are ok but a bit on the small side and while some of the resort looks nice other parts of it look like it could use a wee bit of touch up.

The location is within walking distance of Duval Street which is the main tourist attraction after dark. Casa Marina is closer to the quieter side of Duval so if you prefer the wilder bar side it might be a consideration since you have to either hoof it back or have been insightful enough to have rented a scooter and not forgotten where you parked it.

Casa Marina being a resort expect resort prices. Count on breakfast being $20 per person with tip. A much better deal is to walk over to Duval and have breakfast at someplace like the Banana Cafe. We had omelettes and the like that saved us upwards of $15+ dollars and the amount of salmon they provided was impressive if you like salmon that is.

Dinner is not really much of an offering at the resort so be prepared to hike over to Duvall or other streets for dinner. Actually that's sort of the charm as far as I can see is to go looking and find a place to eat that matches your tastes and wallet.

Room Tip: Our room is facing the ocean and it seems a good many do. It's a fairly nice view so even if you...
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am a regular to Key West, but usually stay in gay, clothing optional hotels in the old town. Not this time. I was travelling with my mom and brother, neither of whom had been to Key West in decades. I chose the Casa Marina as it was the only place that would take three adults for one night only over a holiday weekend in February. I was glad I did. The Casa is a full service resort with its own large and private beach sitting precisely on the Atlantic Ocean. Regulars to Key West know that there are few beaches; they're paltry, artifical, and not that nice (compared to Miami). The Casa's beach is rich and plentiful with white sand, chairs, hammocks, umbrellas, full service bars, two pools, refelcting pools, outside dining, jet ski and bicycle rentals, etc. For anyhone looking for a romantic time at a resort on the ocean, this is the place to go. On the other hand, it is also a stone's throw to the "Southern Most Point" a popular photo op place on the edge of an air base 90 miles from Cuba. It is also an easy walk to Duval and all the local shops, galleries, and restaraunts that Key West has to offer. The Casa is about a mile from the sunset famous Mallory Square, but it is a fun walk past all the shops of Duval street. The many bars and restaraunts at the Casa are all first rate. The food is pricey, as you would expect. And I was dissappointed to have ordered a spiny Florida lobster tail at $37.00 only to get something scarcely larger than a prawn, more like a langostino if you ask me. The breakfast was just the oppisite. Portions were large and delicious, easily big enogh to share. The room we had was a double looking towards town. Ocean side rooms were about a $100.00 more per night. Since we were already paying over $500.00 a night for our room, including a "resort" fee, whatever that is, we opted for a stroll along the private beach and piers jutting out in the ocean rather than the more expensive room with a view. The rooms were spartan by Waldorf standards, probably to accommodate bathing suit glad, sandal wearing tourists rather than business folks wearing wingtips. All in all, the hotel was fine. I would recommend it to anyone who prefers a full service resort on the ocean rather than staying in the older parts of town in a most likely much smaller cottage with a window air conditioner. Some of the older places in Key West do have fantastic tropical courtyards though; quite a contrast to the Casa. It is all a matter of taste, time and money.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for ocean side and watch the sunrise over the Atlantic ocean. Then, in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We really enjoyed staying at the resort since it was a great location to get away from the hustle and bustle of Key West, but also to be able to access the good dinner locations and nightlife through either a short cab ride or walk. We only have a few minor suggestions regarding our stay to improve the property. When we come back to Key West, either this resort or the Westin condos our on Sunset Key will be our only choices.

First, our room was great. We were upgraded to a room that overlooked the resort in the Flagler wing that had a private deck that included lounge and sitting chairs as well as an umbrella and a table. This was a nice way to start the morning. The room was generally very quiet, but at times you could hear the people above if they were stomping around (this was not an issue at night) and the room kept out 95+% of the noise that came about from the three weddings that occurred while we stayed at the resort (if I were going next time I would ask that my room not be near any of the weddings or wedding party - our friends were kept up until 1am on a Friday). Second, the staff tries hard as you would expect from this type of resort - polite and courteous - also there are a few nice items that is included with the resort fee: beach chairs and towel layouts, free daily drink tasting, free fruit by the pool, free popsicles, frozen towels, and plenty of little things such as ping pong on the sand, ladders, or cornhole and floating things for the pool. Third, you are away from the craziness that can be Key West (our stay included St. Patrick's Day weekend), but are within a short 10 minute walk or brief cab ride. Fourth, my wife enjoyed her spa visit, although the room for the spa she said was not that great and a bit noisy since it is located on an exterior wall - traffic at times can be heard over the music. Fifth, as with all resorts, the cocktails will be pricey, but that is expected while on vacation - the drinks tasted good anyway. Finally, there are a heck of a lot of great excursions and events that one can do all while at the resort or within a short ride – biking, kayaking, wave running, etc.
A few items that'd we'd like to see: 1) a hot tub, 2) a nicer area for the spa, 3) a changing room or hotel room for guests with a shower so that guests can check out late and shower before flights (the Waldorf in Maui offers this great option), 4) better understanding by the bartenders on how to make virgin cocktails (my wife was pregnant and typically all the bartender had was 1 idea), 5) more consistency in the wifi operation, a6) a broader menu for lunch at the restaurant – food was good, not great. In addition, our experience with the concierge was mixed since the ball was dropped for our fishing trip. We had a receipt saying that we'd head out Friday at 7:30am (so an early day), but when we arrived at the marina we were told it was Saturday even though our receipt said Friday. Therefore, we ended up paying a round trip cab fare unnecessarily and then had to wake up at 6:45am two days in a row to go fishing. I would hope that the concierge next time would double check for people about these fishing trips.

Finally, the only other comment is that I would like to see a change in the amenities for Hilton Diamond Status members at all Waldorf Astoria resorts. Typically, breakfast is included in all stays, except at Waldorf properties. The breakfast was pricey at the Casa Marina resort and the better option we typically found was walking to get a crepe or beignet. I would like to see Waldorf locations include this option for breakfast going forward since it is a common amenity at all other properties.

Room Tip: We had a great room in the Flagler Wing with a private deck that had two lounge chairs, two sitting...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel 3 different times. This is an excellent property, I would not hesitate to return.

The staff is excellent, very helpful and responsive.

The rooms, are great. However, it must be taken into account that was opened in 1920, so the rooms carry a certain charm. They have been remodeled since brought into the WA family of hotels.

The pools, and beach front is very nice, particularly for the crowded Key West scene.

It is far enough away from the action to be peaceful on the evening that you would like to have some tranquility, yet close enough to walk to Duval Street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Key West has scene better days as a whole, but the Casa Marina is probably one of the nicer better hotels on the island. All the staff is very nice, the food was real good and things were mostly clean everywhere. The cost was extremely expensive for what you get and there are areas that you wouldn't think would look the way they do at such an expensive resort. Such as the stairways needing fresh paint and a good hard cleaning, the water holder in the in room coffee maker could use a dishwasher. Little things that aren't that major... Our waiter by the pool one afternoon had an insane amount of energy, which made our experience pretty fun. The only negative was on our last night. We had a long dinner at the hotel restaurant and when we got back the housekeeping staff had come to turn down our room; They didn't just turn down our room, they took a horrible smelling dump in our bathroom (one of those dumps you'd normally take at your own house in the guest room). The minute we opened the door we were overwhelmed by the smell. I called to see if someone could bring up some spray or disinfectant, and the guy who came, Peter, from Serbia was more than apologetic. I jokingly asked him if it was him that took the dump and he laughed it off saying no, but that he was so so sorry. He insisted on bringing our room a bottle of wine, even after I said his apology was enough, so I said yes. Within minutes an experience that really ticked us off turned into a funny positive.

I'd say this. If you are a younger couple, under 35 or so, consider a destination that offers a bigger variety of places to go and things to see. If you have kids I'd also recommend a place that has kid specific areas for them to play rather than be with the other guests. If you are a retired couple with money to burn, then come here and chill out. Don't come to Key West looking to golf either. The course doesn't look anything like the pictures on the web site, and its the only course for hours. Key West is a cool place to stop and would be fun for a day or two, but by then you've scene it all and will have to do things over and over again, walking the same streets, looking at the same galleries and shops.

If you are here and are considering the hotel you wont have a bad time. As I said earlier, the staff is very nice and helpful. I doubt you'd have a bad time at the hotel, you just may leave wishing it didn't cost as much as it does.

Room Tip: Secure a double bed ASAP. We stayed when the hotel was nearly booked solid and the option to upgrad...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear ManFromMinneapolis,

We regret that you had an unfortunate experience during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this issue to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our housekeeping team to ensure that you and future guests are taken care of. I'm glad that Peter and another member of our team were able to help make your stay more enjoyable. If I can assist you further, please let me know. Thank you.

Steven.Tresh@waldorfastoria.com