One of the things that really became an irritant is the smoking policy. They allow it on the balconies and the beaches. That means if you don't smoke and you get one or more of your neighbors who do it isn't pleasant. We mostly tried to work around it but then some guy lights a stogie up on the beach. Thirty years ago when everyone smoked around you I got that you had to suck it up but in 2013 and you're paying almost $400 a night to stay here I'm just not liking it.
This is a resort that does have a nice view. Somewhat small so once you've walked the roughly 2 football length of the rear that's what you get.
The rooms are ok but a bit on the small side and while some of the resort looks nice other parts of it look like it could use a wee bit of touch up.
The location is within walking distance of Duval Street which is the main tourist attraction after dark. Casa Marina is closer to the quieter side of Duval so if you prefer the wilder bar side it might be a consideration since you have to either hoof it back or have been insightful enough to have rented a scooter and not forgotten where you parked it.
Casa Marina being a resort expect resort prices. Count on breakfast being $20 per person with tip. A much better deal is to walk over to Duval and have breakfast at someplace like the Banana Cafe. We had omelettes and the like that saved us upwards of $15+ dollars and the amount of salmon they provided was impressive if you like salmon that is.
Dinner is not really much of an offering at the resort so be prepared to hike over to Duvall or other streets for dinner. Actually that's sort of the charm as far as I can see is to go looking and find a place to eat that matches your tastes and wallet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a $43 million renovation complete, this Mediterranean-inspired resort sits on a 1,100-foot private beach. The historic beachfront resort, combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated new accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Hilton Hotels, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West