“we will not be staying at this hotel again.” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Reynolds St, Key West, FL 33040   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Key West
London, England, United Kingdom
“we will not be staying at this hotel again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Really disappointing. We were surprised at the lack of quality control. There seem to be a lot of staff doing there own thing with little overall co-ordination. The hotel offers a very limited bar area indoors. If you want tea or coffee you have to go the the gift shop where you are charged an extra 69 cents if you request soya milk in your tea. Our room wasn't cleaned until 3.30pm, when we notified the housekeeping service we had to wait over an hour before they sent someone and by then had complained at reception. The acoustics were so bad we could hear the guest in the next room snoring. My bed had a torn sheet, not what you expect from a top quality hotel. We also sent clothes to be laundered and when we phoned to find out if they were ready were told we had to go down to the lobby to collect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Elspeth P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. One of the cornerstones of the Waldorf Astoria experience brand-wide is unparalleled service and I assure you that the problems you mentioned about our inconsistencies have been addressed and I apologize for the inconvenience. We are also looking into additional soundproofing to minimize noise discomfort and appreciate you alerting us. We hope you will give our hotel a second chance if you return to the area.

Steven Tresh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,125)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Beautiful property but unsophisticated non-service oriented staff, except for one concierge. As Hilton Honors we were given a room in the oldest section with no patio, no possible upgrade and no usual Hilton gold card breakfast. In fact there was free coffee only until 6:30 am, not a minute afterwards. Our room was awkwardly shaped across from the elevator and the oldish small bath had no exhaust fan. When I called about an earring possibly lost in the lobby shortly after we checked out, I received no call back for more than 24 hours — after I called a second time. Parking is ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Cam16NJ,

We hold our guests in the highest regard and one of our priorities is flawless service. I assure you that the problems you mentioned regarding poor and inconsistent service have been addressed accordingly. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue so that we can update our training processes with your comments in mind. We hope you will give our hotel a second chance if you return to the area.

Warrenton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

RUINED MEMORIES.

LET ME SAY THIS. THE ONLY THING HIGH END HERE IS THE PRICES.

We haven't had a vacation in 2 years. We waited for this day for so long. I was told by several people not to come here. I was lured in by the nice photos and the promises of luxury and a good time. I paid top dollar to come to this place. 600 a night for a supposed beautiful room. The room was falsely advertisement. It was crap small horrible supposed oceanfront patio two people could barely sit in.

The service from everyone at this Hotel was atrocious. First we walk in and check in then walk over to the concierge because we wanted to rent a boat. The nice used car salesman of a concierge was none too happy to charge us 500 and something dollars for the pleasure of renting the fine 22ft yacht. When I reached the room I look on line come to find out the 170 something dollar deposit i had to place on my credit card was the hotels cut then when I get to the marine they were going to authorize 1000 and take the rest from that oh and the gas wasn't included. We of course canceled that reservation. Nothing like feeling duped when you get right into the hotel.

After we got to the room I was so pissed I canceled the rest of our reservation. This made my fiancé so happy that I compromised and changed to a regular room hoping the price drop per night would lessen my anger and being taken for a ride by glossy photos on a website. We changed rooms to a small box with a horrible view the next day all the while eating crappy food at almost 200 for dinner 100 for breakfast and sucking down 11.00 drinks.

LET ME SAY THIS.. THE ONLY THING HIGH END HERE IS THE PRICES.

I talked to another concierge person about another service to try to save some grace with my fiancé. That didn't work I got tired of the condescending know it all who was serving me and walked away while she was still talking.

Food -- sucks is way overpriced and I never finished one meal because of it.

Drinks - if you can get one they are ok they taste like pina coladas but with no alcohol for 11.00 a piece after 10 of them I wasn't even remotely drunk. My fiance who rarely drinks said the same thing. This place is making it a business out of scamming people.

Service - Non existent

Property is beautiful nobody can deny that.

Rooms - overpriced and not well appointed

Folks I can't possibly stress enough if you want a ruined vacation while spending thousands of dollars come to this place!!!! Or do we did try it realize everyone else is right and leave. We checked out after this second day and I will be sure to tell every one of my experiences on line and off.

Add insult to injury I ordered a burger here with my fiancé the night before we left it came rare rarer than rare it wasn't even cooked what's wrong with you people the photo has been posted someone dropped on a grill for 30 seconds and put it on a plate I almost threw up. The replacement burger never even showed up. My fiancés burger wasn't cooked correctly either but not as bad as mine. I'M SO VERY UPSET!!!!
Morning of our departure the Fire Alarm went off at 5am in the morning!! Front desk yeah we are working on it. Great customer service....
I'M SO VERY UPSET!!!!

MY bill was never updated for the bad dinner on the beach the burgers were never removed from our bill. The room discount we were told we would get we never got.

Sent an email left two voice mail Management still hasn't contacted me.

Dear Robert B,

Thank you for sharing your impression of our property from your recent visit. We are glad you were able to experience the opulent interior of our hotel, however, we are sorry to hear you were disappointed in your stay. We work hard to deliver the singular Waldorf experience we are known for and your comments on the service as well as the culinary offerings will help us to continually work to maintain and improve the impression we make on our guests. I apologize for any delay as we work hard to respond to issues such as yours in a timely manner. If we have not already contacted you through our other channels, please feel free to contact me directly at Steven.Tresh@waldorfastoria.com so we can help make things right.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Booked an ocean suite and the ocean view was overlooking the pool, BUT the room was big and very spacious, clean and well stocked with plenty of towels, coffee. The air conditioner worked like a CHAMP and was very much needed! The grounds were clean well cared for and wonderful! My son loved the pool, staff was very accommodating, love that they called us by name, nice professional touch! If we do go back to Key West will have no hesitation in staying again at the Casa!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get suite!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Overall this was a nice hotel. 1.My major complaint is we had a old bathtube and showercutain, if your room doesn't have both it should come with a nice shower with glass doors bathtubs and showercurtains are from the eighties. 2. They have no real spa, when my wife and i went to get a couple massage it was in a regular hotel room in all my years of travel i never experince that before

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Aepple_01,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candid review of our restroom appointment and we will use your comments as we look towards future improvements. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the area so we may show you the quality accommodations you expect from our brand.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Pretty good service. Well kept grounds. Dangerous outdoor steps on second floor walkway. Beware. Nice property altogether. Nothing like the Waldorf in Manhattan. Just a very nice Hilton. Convenient excursions were a selling point.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The only down side to this fabulous hotel is it's distance from town, although a taxi at about $6.50 did the trip in about six or eight minutes. On the other hand, the noise around Duvall Street is never heard; thank God. The Casa lives up to its AAA four stars in every way. Perhaps its best feature is its location facing due south for maximum sun, something most tourists want in the winter. There are no good beaches on Key West, but the Casa has loaded in plenty for sunning on their lounge chairs at the rocky shore's edge. Furhtermore, they have a short pier running out with stairs at the end from which swimming is wonderful in only four to five feet of water. Staff is always courteous and on-the-ball. A bellman will appear at your door before you hang up the phone. The buffet breakfast is pricy but worth it. Pool is large and inviting. Be sure to make a dinner reservation at least three days in adavance for the superb Louie's Backyard, just steps away, gushing with charm, and directly on the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, but suites are worth the price. And worth another jump in price to stay in one that...