“Beautiful property in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Fall Rates from $229
Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Key West
Brooklyn, NY
“Beautiful property in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

A college friend and I recently stayed at the hotel for a long weekend and found it to be the perfect property for what we were looking for in a resort. It was beautifully maintained, the staff was uniformly friendly and helpful and the amenities were plentiful. Two big pools, bike rental on the property, hammocks on the beach... there was a lot of great stuff to take advantage of while staying here. I particularly enjoyed the hotel location, with it's beach access and distance from the tourist hustle and bustle of Mallory Square. With Key West being such a bike friendly town, any where we wanted to go was a 10 minute bike trip away. Literally, the only thing I can criticize are:
1) that the bathrooms only had showers and not tubs
2) to swim in the ocean you need to walk out on a pier past some rocks
3) when I asked the front desk to mail an envelope, they didn't cover the cost of postage

Otherwise, I would definitely considering returning the next time I'm in Key West.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Polish first
Madeira Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Imagine my excitement at reserving a room at a Waldorf Astoria property! In Key West no less!!

Arriving close to midnight after a 7 hour ride down from Tampa....needless to sat, I was tired yet excited to stay at this revered icon of a properety. Check in was quick and efficient with delightful staff. I was given an Atlantic front room on the first floor with a patio...things were really going my way. After leaving the oppulent arrival foyer things started to change, deteriorate actually. While walking down the hallway to my room I saw ated and stained carpeting. There was the slight smell of mildew often experienced in lower end properties. The lampshades over the fixtures were made of a burlap like material...again, not my idea of stylish decorating. The room was TINY. Cold marble floors were plain and not a rug in the whole room. What if I chose to dip my toes in nearby sand? I'd have to shower before even thinking of putting my feet on the bed.

The bed! It had an old mattress with a visible dip where others had lain before me. As a Hilton Diamond level member, I can tell you I've had a superior mattress experience in a Hampton Inn! As excited as I was anticipating this stay, I was just as excited to leave the next morning. In fact I was checked out before 9 am the next morning.

In all fairness, the hotel looks lovely from the outside and the grounds are simple and elegant. However my intention was to spend time in a clean, updated elegant hotel. This property does not live up to those basic expectations.

The staff took my complaints seriously. The resort manager contacted me and listened. I hope my observations pave the way to improvements. I would not recommend this propety at this time.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms on the first floor surrounding the pool have wonderful views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Lazrlady,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We are glad we were able to speak to you while you where here and we certainly appreciate all of the suggestions you offered. We're taking all of your comments very seriously so we can continue to deliver the unparalleled service and luxury you deserve.

Steven Tresh
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Casa Marina and had the best time! We were upgraded to a suite with a beautiful view of palm trees, beach and sea, and, although no tea was available- a failing of most American hotels- we were provided with a nespresso which made brilliant coffee instead! The rooms were modern (with a bath for the wife) and were kept immaculate by the lovely housekeeping staff: special thanks to Angelina who made us a towel bear! Most days we would start with a good buffet breakfast, looked after by attentive staff, then spend many hours relaxing by the pool,sipping cocktails in the sunshine, ably provided by the professional pool staff, in particular Sean and Patrick. Late afternoon we would change and head on up Duval Street to see the famous sunset and sample some Key West nightlife..The Keys and Key West in particular are certainly laid back, people don't bother you and there are many good bars with all types of music and many good restaurants with all kinds of great food: best stone crab and lobster we've ever had. Duval is a walk from the hotel but we were on holiday and took in the sights and the atmosphere, walking slowly. One huge plus for the Casa Marina is that it has a large beach, the best stretch on the whole Key and its nice to retreat to the calm of the hotel after a lively time in town. Must also mention the management, concierge and reception, with special thanks to Mary,for their help and professionalism throughout our immensely enjoyable stay. Fabulous memories from Patrick & Suzanna

Room Tip: More expensive but best to have ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Marina in early February for 3 days. We had a gorgeous room over looking the two pools and a view of the ocean. I wish I had taken advantage of the huge deck, but we just didn't have time. We did play some ping pong by the pool and the pool staff was friendly and helpful. The concierge was extremely helpful in recommending restaurants and activities. They had a binder with menus for every restaurant in town. Our room was clean, the service was excellent and we had an enjoyable stay! The only draw back here is that it's a bit of a walk to Duval Street. We didn't spend much time on Duval street so it worked well for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have never written a review before, and this on is a bit late.
We have stayed at Casa Marina on three separate occasions, and due to total excellence, we are already planning our fourth trip. This historic (I think people should take note of the word "historic") resort is beautiful. Crisply updated (since our first stay in 2005) with every modern convenience. Our room, as is standard here, was sparkling clean and housekeeping keeps it that way. We simply would not stay anywhere else.
The entire staff, as always, is ready to meet every request. Our pool and beach services, provided this last trip by Graham and Max were exceptional.
Any activity you can imagine is available with never having to leave the grounds.
Everyone is courteous and helpful, ready to assist in planning jet-ski or snorkel trips, scooters to go (too much fun) anywhere you want, etc. Close to town for great shopping, food, and more things to do than imaginable.
Can't wait to get back!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have visited Waldorf Astoria Orlando just a few months ago and expected the one in Key west to be the same but to our surprise this not to the Waldorf standards . The problems we had-- smelly sheets, room. Bathrooms reminded me of bathrooms in days Inn( noting wrong with this if i am paying 100 $ a night ), Hair dryer I used had hair in them and looked old. We could near our next door neighbor loud and clear at night. ( we have never had this issue- we travel around the world quite frequently).
Overall a very disappointing experience and will never go back to casa marina again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear arch1976,

We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area, and I appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide our guests with consistent and flawless experiences. We have shared your experience with our management team. If you should happen to return to Key West, we hope you will give us a second chance to show you the luxury hospitality our hotel and brand is known for.

Steven Tresh
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The room was tiny, cramped, tired and not very clean. Two of us could not stand in the bathroom at the same time. Our garden room view was of the parking lot and a service shack. We could look out at cars and pavement or at maids with stacks of towels. I dropped something in the bathroom and it rolled under the vanity, which was about six inches off the floor, so easily cleaned under if someone bent down. Disgusting!! The pool and beach area were lovely but couldn't make up for the disappointing rooms. Friends who had an ocean view room had the same cramped and tired conditions. This hotel is not worthy of the Waldorf Astoria name.

Room Tip: There don't appear to be any good rooms. Maybe a suite would provide some space.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!