“Great Accomodations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 40 hotels in Key West
Ann Arbor
“Great Accomodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed during January 2013. Great room overlooking pool and ocean. Service was outstanding, staff polite, and excellent concierge service. Will stay again on an annual basis. Always ample transportation available to downtown. Valet parking is conveniently located.

3,708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The best way I could describe this hotel is a wanna be. It has a killer location and great weather, but when it comes to service and amenities it just falls short. I'm HH Diamond, booked a paid stay.

I saw prior to arrival they had upgraded me to a 1 bdrm suite. I read the reviews that these have bad views, so I knew going in I was going to have to negotiate. I did the $20 vegas sandwich trick upon checkin, and was told nothing with a view was available (and the dude kept the $20). Just before I had to educate him on the $20 sandwich rules, which meant you don't deliver then you hand it back, a nice king room with terrace and ocean view appeared. It was worth the negotiation, as the terrace I could walk out from with the surf crashing 30 yards from my door was fantastic.

The room was a basic hilton room, nothing special. The terrace had 2 chaise lounges and 2 regular chairs w/ a coffee table. The bathroom was small, with minimal amenities. The only thing they provided was shampoo and conditioner and that is it I'm used to a bit more, but it is what it is. Like I said, it's a wanna be resort.

I used the pool facilities and they were nice. There is one heated pool and one that isn't so you could pick your temp. They had the typical resort walk around stuff, like popcicles at a certain time. It was just weird because the "dude" handing out the popcicles was like yo man, want a popcicle. It just was a little off, and kind of weird. I did do lunch at the beach side place, and it was good with decent prices.

I did not use any other facilities except for the onsite bicycle rental which was perfect.

Overall, I enjoyed it because of the room and atmosphere, but this place has so much potential that they just waste. There's a decent lobby to do drinks, but they don't leverage it that way, it is just some odd placed concierge and check in desks.

I would go back but only on a sale weekend. For what I paid, I consider myself lucky with what I ended up with.

Room Tip: The rooms 104 - 118 have terraces that walk out to the beach path and some type of sun/shade all day...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have to say tht the one thing Waldorfs do well is the service. The bell desk, wait staff, bartenders, concierge are fantastic.
However the rooms lack the size and style of that of a 4 star hotel.
I booked a king ocean front because there were no doubles and I asked for a double in my requests and they put us in a double non ocean view without even asking. Do not stay in this hotel without an oceanview balcony. NOT WORTH THE MONEY.
The best part is that it has the biggest beach with fantastic service.
I was expecting more from everything I heard from everyone.
One thing that really bothered me is that they never dusted the room. Right near the glasses on the shelf in the living room was a full finger of dust when I swept it with my finger. You could see the dust when you looked at the shelf. They should have better housekeeping than that.

Room Tip: Only get an ocean room with balcony - otherwise not worth it at all
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Heather K,

It was our privilege to serve you and pleasure hearing that our staff showed you the stellar service you deserve. However, comfort and safety is among one of our highest priorities and I apologize that we could not have made your stay more memorable. While room type requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team and am sorry for the misunderstanding. I've also shared your cleanliness concerns with our housekeeping team to ensure we're not missing important areas when servicing guest rooms. I hope you will consider staying with us the next time your travels bring you to the area

Warm Regards,

Steven Tresh
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Casa Marina is beautiful, the service exceptional and the location fantastic - enjoyed our stay immensely - beautiful sunsets, dinner on the beach, relaxing atmosphere and good Pina Coladas with Black Strap Molasses Rum.... enjoyed the cold refreshing jugs of fruit immersed water around the complex.

Room Tip: Enjoyed staying in the main building with the high ceilings and the wood floors
Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel lobby is very classy with high ceilings carved wood. The room was very small but adequate for our needs. The bed was comfortable and there was a large assortment of pillows to choose from. The buffet style dresser had not drawers and the shelves were deep but so close to the bed it was hard to get things in and out. When the doors were open, you could not walk by. Perhaps a different arrangement would have been helpful.

I wish the oceanfront room and bathroom were bigger. It would have been nice to have a balcony and bathtub. Some rooms do have large balconys so they are available - just not on all the rooms.

The two large pools were not heated, however, some of the other guests did not seem to mind. We enjoyed the beach as hammocks, lounge chairs and umbrellas were always available and staff ready and willing to set it up for you. The complimentary drink of the day and popsicles were a nice touch. We missed to chilled towels but that would be a great perk for hot weather.

There was always a nice breeze off the ocean and it never got too hot as well as there are many palm trees and umbrellas for those who wanted shade.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, The only exception was the concierge who said he could not get us a reservation at Latitudes on Tank Island (a Westin property) until 9:45 pm and claimed this is always the case. When my husband called to confirm this, we got a 5:45 pm reservation. Not sure what that was all about?

The fire pits and heaters down by the beach area for the cooler evening temperatures were fun to sit by and vist with other guests.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with the large balcony if you can afford it. Would have been worth the extra char...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here due to a work function and every thing was great. I never realized that Key West has no natural beach and it was nice to at least see a beach at this hotel. Everything was great from top to bottom. We had buffet breakfast a outside and there was a always someone waiting and willing to get us whatever we needed. Now I didn't pay for the rooms but when I looked them up they were quite pricey so I am not sure if I would have paid to stay here. I've stayed at more luxurious hotels and the decor at this hotel did not quite match up. The service was top notch, everything I needed they were always ready to help. Room service was closed one night and I wanted pizza they went out of their way to find all the late night pizza places. Everyone working there was really courteous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed here a few years ago for a wedding. So, my husband and I wanted to go back for a winter escape. Shirley Hutton from the Hutton Group in Pittsburgh planned the whole experience with such expertise. They did a remarkable booking. Andrew poolside and beachside was the best . He is a gem for the resort and I hope we can see him again. Andrew is tops and ask for him and you will have a great relaxing experience !

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view and the bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!