“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 41 hotels in Key West
Miami, Florida
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have to say tht the one thing Waldorfs do well is the service. The bell desk, wait staff, bartenders, concierge are fantastic.
However the rooms lack the size and style of that of a 4 star hotel.
I booked a king ocean front because there were no doubles and I asked for a double in my requests and they put us in a double non ocean view without even asking. Do not stay in this hotel without an oceanview balcony. NOT WORTH THE MONEY.
The best part is that it has the biggest beach with fantastic service.
I was expecting more from everything I heard from everyone.
One thing that really bothered me is that they never dusted the room. Right near the glasses on the shelf in the living room was a full finger of dust when I swept it with my finger. You could see the dust when you looked at the shelf. They should have better housekeeping than that.

Room Tip: Only get an ocean room with balcony - otherwise not worth it at all
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Heather K,

It was our privilege to serve you and pleasure hearing that our staff showed you the stellar service you deserve. However, comfort and safety is among one of our highest priorities and I apologize that we could not have made your stay more memorable. While room type requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team and am sorry for the misunderstanding. I've also shared your cleanliness concerns with our housekeeping team to ensure we're not missing important areas when servicing guest rooms. I hope you will consider staying with us the next time your travels bring you to the area

Warm Regards,

3,966 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Casa Marina is beautiful, the service exceptional and the location fantastic - enjoyed our stay immensely - beautiful sunsets, dinner on the beach, relaxing atmosphere and good Pina Coladas with Black Strap Molasses Rum.... enjoyed the cold refreshing jugs of fruit immersed water around the complex.

Room Tip: Enjoyed staying in the main building with the high ceilings and the wood floors
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel lobby is very classy with high ceilings carved wood. The room was very small but adequate for our needs. The bed was comfortable and there was a large assortment of pillows to choose from. The buffet style dresser had not drawers and the shelves were deep but so close to the bed it was hard to get things in and out. When the doors were open, you could not walk by. Perhaps a different arrangement would have been helpful.

I wish the oceanfront room and bathroom were bigger. It would have been nice to have a balcony and bathtub. Some rooms do have large balconys so they are available - just not on all the rooms.

The two large pools were not heated, however, some of the other guests did not seem to mind. We enjoyed the beach as hammocks, lounge chairs and umbrellas were always available and staff ready and willing to set it up for you. The complimentary drink of the day and popsicles were a nice touch. We missed to chilled towels but that would be a great perk for hot weather.

There was always a nice breeze off the ocean and it never got too hot as well as there are many palm trees and umbrellas for those who wanted shade.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, The only exception was the concierge who said he could not get us a reservation at Latitudes on Tank Island (a Westin property) until 9:45 pm and claimed this is always the case. When my husband called to confirm this, we got a 5:45 pm reservation. Not sure what that was all about?

The fire pits and heaters down by the beach area for the cooler evening temperatures were fun to sit by and vist with other guests.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with the large balcony if you can afford it. Would have been worth the extra char...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here due to a work function and every thing was great. I never realized that Key West has no natural beach and it was nice to at least see a beach at this hotel. Everything was great from top to bottom. We had buffet breakfast a outside and there was a always someone waiting and willing to get us whatever we needed. Now I didn't pay for the rooms but when I looked them up they were quite pricey so I am not sure if I would have paid to stay here. I've stayed at more luxurious hotels and the decor at this hotel did not quite match up. The service was top notch, everything I needed they were always ready to help. Room service was closed one night and I wanted pizza they went out of their way to find all the late night pizza places. Everyone working there was really courteous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed here a few years ago for a wedding. So, my husband and I wanted to go back for a winter escape. Shirley Hutton from the Hutton Group in Pittsburgh planned the whole experience with such expertise. They did a remarkable booking. Andrew poolside and beachside was the best . He is a gem for the resort and I hope we can see him again. Andrew is tops and ask for him and you will have a great relaxing experience !

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view and the bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Odenton, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I accompanied a friend who was staying here for a conference. Geez I am glad that I did not pay for this! When you think of Waldorf Astoria you seem to think of luxury, elegance and premium service. Upon arriving I was rather disappointed. The lobby is dated, the hallway carpets need to be replaced and OMG the bathroom was tiny! I am so glad that I went to see the spa before booking a service. The spa was nothing more than a guest room, I am not sure if the “real” spa was being renovated. The spa was literally a guest room, no reception or relaxation area but a guest room. The room itself was not bad, the bed was rather comfy. The beach area was rocky and the water was murky but I did enjoy the Popsicle that the beach guy gave us! Room service came quickly when called and just about all of the staff that I encountered was rather pleasant. Overall it was not a horrible stay but simply did not own up to the Waldorf Astoria name.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Living Life A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback about our interior decor. We are dedicated to providing our guests with timeless luxury in inspirational environments, and we're keeping guest feedback in mind as we continue to look into enhancements. We're looking into your suggestions about new carpeting and changes to our spa area. In the mean time, a massage on the beach in one of the cabanas is a delightful alternative to our Spa Suite, especially with the perfect weather we have been having. We try very hard to meet all guest standards and hope to have another opportunity to show you our improvements.

Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Casa Marina in Key West, which is a Waldorf Astoria property. We were very disappointed. The decor of this resort is very uninspired and definitely past its prime. Our room (which was an ocean view room) was very bare with laminate flooring. The furniture was not in good repair and the room was a bit depressing. Little did we know that the service in this hotel is even worse. It was next to impossible to get served at the hotel bar (we finally left) and service at the ocean side bar was very very very slow. After these experiences, we chose to have all of our meals (including breakfast) elsewhere. The resort is a short walking distance from quite a few other hotels and B&Bs which looked to me more attractive and appealing. I will say that the outdoror setting of the Casa Marina is lovely. If you stay somewhere else, it might be worth coming over at sunset to have a drink and enjoy the ocean view. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear perennialgardener,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret we were not able to provide you with the quality service and amenity accommodations you expected. We are constantly working to enhance our property decor and services and your comments will help us improve in these very important areas. We hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time you are in the area, and we will work to ensure you receive nothing short of a flawless experience.

Warm Regards,

Steven Tresh

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!