“A very restful and nice resort.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Key West
London, United Kingdom
“A very restful and nice resort.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We chose this resort as this was our last stop on a holiday seeing three different parts of the States and wanted a sunshine finish. We are near the end of our stay & we haven't been disappointed.

I agree with the general consensus that the hotel is lovely and the grounds, beach etc are extremely well kept.

Our check in was fine and the young gentleman at the desk could not have been more helpful.

We have an ocean view balcony room and its fine, well, hotel rooms could always be larger - but that's price dependant. The room is well equipped, it has a fridge, and a coffee machine. There was party on the beach directly below our room one night and the sound proofing as great - couldn't hear a thing.

There's a good fitness room, it is very airy, and generally well equipped. My wife would like some scales in there please.

The pools are really nice, but could be a bit warmer at times!

The reason I didn't give this hotel an excellent score is the coffee machine is rubbish, it produces cold coffee very noisily. Actually the air conditioning and bed are very noisy too!

From a business perspective I was also very surprised to witness/overhear an altercation between two staff members right by the pool in front of guests. Clearly one member of staff was unhappy with an others performance but I would suggest to him in future he asks to speak to his colleague in private - this would have been much more professional.

Overall though this is a really nice hotel and we are having a lovely time - hopefully my comments will be seen as constructive.

Room Tip: An ocean view with a balcony is really nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,085)
  • Polish first
shortssville, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had our daughters wedding here and I must say that everything was just as we had imagined but better! Reina Todd was incredible! She made sure everything went perfect right down to the littlest of details! She placed the starfish on the sand herself and made sure everyone was enjoying everything!! This was also a Sunday wedding and she was there till after everyone was dancing! I can't say enough about the food, servers, bartenders, right down to the people who called for taxi's to make sure we got down to duval street to continue the celebration after. We did the jetski tour again because it was so much fun the year before. We needed 12 ski's and they made sure they were there! Yes the rooms are just ok but the only thing I do in there is sleep in a great bed. It's everything else and everyone else that makes this place wonderful!!! There was 60 people who made it to this destination wedding and I'm so glad we chose the Casa Marina and I'm sure everyone who came had an amazing time while they were there!!! Like I said it just doesn't get any better!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked Casa Marina on Booking a few weeks before starting my trip to Florida, mainly because of the location and what I read on Booking. The hotel and its facilities are beautiful, very well located, beautiful pools and good looking beach, but with lots of sea weed almost hiding the white coral sand... it is not a place to got to the beach, as all of Key West isn't. It is not far form the center, Duval Str., etc. but it is still some 15 min walk, and in August it is quite difficult to walk around on those temperatures, so you would better take the car... Good service except the bar at the pool, which was very slow attending the customers, and took for ever to even ask what we wanted, so we decided to go to town to a quicker bar and with nicer attendants - Sloppy Joe's !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

From the moment we checked in we experienced beyond terrible customer service. The front desk employee (roman) was unpleasant wouldn't smile and basically ruined my opinion of this hotel. Our room was basically the same caliber of a courtyard Marriott and was worth no where near almost 400 dollars a night. The hotel itself is beautiful but the rooms and customer service will make this my only stay here! Our room was facing the parking lot was tiny. Not to mention the terrible lay out that made it nearly impossible to see the 19" screen tv

• Stayed January 2013
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Andrazz7423,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing stay you recently had with us. We strive to provide our guests the singular Waldorf experience they expect and regret this was not your impression. We will be sure to include your comments as we continuously work to improve upon all aspects of service. We are addressing the experience you encountered at main desk, with our front office team and looking into additional property enhancements. to ensure we're meeting guest needs. We welcome any additional feedback or suggestions you would like to share and hope we have another chance to show you the quality experience you deserve from our brand should you return to the Key West in the future.

Steven Tresh
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Andrew at the pool and beach was awesome. Super helpful and friendly. He made great conversation and was very personable. What great service! He was always willing and happy to help. He remembered us each day and gave us a lot of tips on where to explore and what to do around the island.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A good alternative to Key West B&Bs, and very closed (walking distance) from most city centre attraction. We highly recommend this place while staying in Key West. The beach is wonderful and very clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our check in was our first indication that this hotel was not what we were expecting. The lobby is small, old and dated. At check-in, I asked if we could have a balcony room. The employee looked at me like I was insane, and she said, no, not with the government rate. I asked if we could have an oceanview room, and she repeated that I could not because I was paying the government rate. I did not realize that being affiliated with the military also classified me as a second-rate guest. Also, I didn't know that the slightly discounted rate I was paying meant that I should not expect a nice room or good service. The clerk said our room was not ready, and she would call me when it was. When I returned to get my room keys, I had to wait in the check in line for a second time, and was given keys to room 355 in the main building. We took the SMALLEST elevator I have ever seen to the third floor, and when we tried to open the door to our room, it would not open. The housekeeper came over to see us because she knew the room was not ready. She told us to return to the desk. We returned to the desk and no apologies were offered. We were given a room in the adjacent building. When we were walking to our room, I could not believe how dirty and worn the carpet in the hallway was, and the musty odor in the building. Our room was not much better. Laminate wood floors, banged up furniture, no rugs, and a not so lovely view of the parking lot. The bathroom is so small that they had to split the door into two and it still hits your knees if you are sitting on the toilet. The nespresso machine took some getting used to, I would rather have a regular coffee maker.
The back of the grounds was OK, with two pools, no hot tub, and a very rocky man-made beach that you can't swim in. The beach was not long enough to take walks on.
I was disappointed in the service we received, also. I called the front desk 2 times to make a request. Once for extra pillows, and they delivered them after a 30 minute wait. The second time I called, no one ever picked up the phone. One day of our stay, we put out the "please service" sign, left around 11 and returned at 5, and our room had not been been serviced. We did not get housekeeping service that day. I realized why the staff seem to be indifferent to the complaints of the guests. The reason is because every guest of this hotel has complained because this hotel is old, overpriced and dated, and there is nothing the staff can do about it.
We had reserved four nights, but checked out after three, and headed to the upper keys.
Three tips we can offer other travelers. The first tip is that the Old Towne Trolley is a good value for transportation(and entertainment) because one of the stops is at the Casa Marina. The second tip is that there were a few empty parking spots in front of the hotel if you want to take a chance on finding a parking spot so that you don't have to pay the inflated parking at the hotel. The third tip is the most important: stay at a different hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear dandjenifer,

We are extremely sorry the resort did not meet your expectations. It is the feedback of guests such as yourself that assists us in the training of associates as well as continued maintenance of our facilities. If you would like to discuss your stay or if you should be in Key West again please contact me at steven.tresh@waldorfastoria.com for personalized service, such as requests for regular coffee makers and extra pillows which we can provide ahead of time. Thanks again for your feedback.

Sincerly,

Steven Tresh

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!