“Beautiful hotel terrible customer service!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Summer Rates from $249
Ranked #22 of 41 hotels in Key West
“Beautiful hotel terrible customer service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we checked in we experienced beyond terrible customer service. The front desk employee (roman) was unpleasant wouldn't smile and basically ruined my opinion of this hotel. Our room was basically the same caliber of a courtyard Marriott and was worth no where near almost 400 dollars a night. The hotel itself is beautiful but the rooms and customer service will make this my only stay here! Our room was facing the parking lot was tiny. Not to mention the terrible lay out that made it nearly impossible to see the 19" screen tv

• Stayed January 2013
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Andrazz7423,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing stay you recently had with us. We strive to provide our guests the singular Waldorf experience they expect and regret this was not your impression. We will be sure to include your comments as we continuously work to improve upon all aspects of service. We are addressing the experience you encountered at main desk, with our front office team and looking into additional property enhancements. to ensure we're meeting guest needs. We welcome any additional feedback or suggestions you would like to share and hope we have another chance to show you the quality experience you deserve from our brand should you return to the Key West in the future.

Steven Tresh

3,967 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Andrew at the pool and beach was awesome. Super helpful and friendly. He made great conversation and was very personable. What great service! He was always willing and happy to help. He remembered us each day and gave us a lot of tips on where to explore and what to do around the island.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A good alternative to Key West B&Bs, and very closed (walking distance) from most city centre attraction. We highly recommend this place while staying in Key West. The beach is wonderful and very clean.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our check in was our first indication that this hotel was not what we were expecting. The lobby is small, old and dated. At check-in, I asked if we could have a balcony room. The employee looked at me like I was insane, and she said, no, not with the government rate. I asked if we could have an oceanview room, and she repeated that I could not because I was paying the government rate. I did not realize that being affiliated with the military also classified me as a second-rate guest. Also, I didn't know that the slightly discounted rate I was paying meant that I should not expect a nice room or good service. The clerk said our room was not ready, and she would call me when it was. When I returned to get my room keys, I had to wait in the check in line for a second time, and was given keys to room 355 in the main building. We took the SMALLEST elevator I have ever seen to the third floor, and when we tried to open the door to our room, it would not open. The housekeeper came over to see us because she knew the room was not ready. She told us to return to the desk. We returned to the desk and no apologies were offered. We were given a room in the adjacent building. When we were walking to our room, I could not believe how dirty and worn the carpet in the hallway was, and the musty odor in the building. Our room was not much better. Laminate wood floors, banged up furniture, no rugs, and a not so lovely view of the parking lot. The bathroom is so small that they had to split the door into two and it still hits your knees if you are sitting on the toilet. The nespresso machine took some getting used to, I would rather have a regular coffee maker.
The back of the grounds was OK, with two pools, no hot tub, and a very rocky man-made beach that you can't swim in. The beach was not long enough to take walks on.
I was disappointed in the service we received, also. I called the front desk 2 times to make a request. Once for extra pillows, and they delivered them after a 30 minute wait. The second time I called, no one ever picked up the phone. One day of our stay, we put out the "please service" sign, left around 11 and returned at 5, and our room had not been been serviced. We did not get housekeeping service that day. I realized why the staff seem to be indifferent to the complaints of the guests. The reason is because every guest of this hotel has complained because this hotel is old, overpriced and dated, and there is nothing the staff can do about it.
We had reserved four nights, but checked out after three, and headed to the upper keys.
Three tips we can offer other travelers. The first tip is that the Old Towne Trolley is a good value for transportation(and entertainment) because one of the stops is at the Casa Marina. The second tip is that there were a few empty parking spots in front of the hotel if you want to take a chance on finding a parking spot so that you don't have to pay the inflated parking at the hotel. The third tip is the most important: stay at a different hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear dandjenifer,

We are extremely sorry the resort did not meet your expectations. It is the feedback of guests such as yourself that assists us in the training of associates as well as continued maintenance of our facilities. If you would like to discuss your stay or if you should be in Key West again please contact me at steven.tresh@waldorfastoria.com for personalized service, such as requests for regular coffee makers and extra pillows which we can provide ahead of time. Thanks again for your feedback.

Sincerly,

Steven Tresh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I wish I could give this property 3.5 stars, because that's my true impression. I was here for a wedding in the banquet room, which was spectacular. Overall, there were some fantastic aspects of this hotel, and some mediocre aspects:
- Resort itself is stunning; beautiful Spanish-style architecture on a beautiful beach. Nice pool.
- Rooms are a bit old and outdated. We were upgraded to a suite, which was nice for the very high price we originally paid for a standard King room. But the suite was pretty bare and had a horrible view.
- Food was ok. We had breakfast at the buffet and found the food to be a bit stale and uninspiring. But perhaps ordering ala carte would have been better.

Overall, there's no question that we'd return to this resort when staying in Key West. It was the best property we saw as we traveled around KW. But it certainly isn't the nicest resort one can stay at on a beach.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a suite with a view of the street, which was spacious but pretty bare and worn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Durham, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I am a Hilton Diamond member and my family of 6 had a great experience at Casa, we rented 2 rooms. We had an oceanfront room which is about as good as it gets in Key West. The Jet ski tour is well worth it, about an hour and a half completely around Key West cost ~$140 for each jet ski with 2 people aboard, very well done. Rooms could use a slight upgrade, but very clean and comfortable.
We walked over to the Reach, very nice, but the Casa property has much more to offer and I thought a better set-up for different activities. We had 4 kids late teens/early twenties with us and they had a blast here, staff was excellent. Evening happy hour at the bar near the lobby had different $5 top shelf drinks every day. I had the best Pina Colada (yes I like Pina Colada's) at the outside pool bar, everything there is outstanding with a killer view to boot..
My vote is Casa over the Reach. If you are in Key West go to the Casa Marina, get an ocean front room and enjoy everything they have to offer. You will not regret it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The property is beautiful! Although Key West is not known for their beaches, this is the best beach front property you will find. We brought out 19 and 20 year old daughters to Key West for their first time on their college winter break. Everyone loved it! Both rooms upgraded at check-in!! We had balcony room that the steps took us right onto beach. Great view of the weddings! Props go to Austin-great service, advice and conversation on beach. Also, everyone at Sun Sun bar very friendly and accommodating. Even guys at Barefoot Billy's did great job on giving me comfort with my 19 year old driving me around on a scooter in Key West. Definitely recommend to everyone and will revisit Waldorf in Key West. First time ever at Waldorf!!

Room Tip: I think you could book any room at this resort and the staff will do their best to put you in the be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!