“Good... with room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Summer Rates from $249
Ranked #22 of 41 hotels in Key West
Miami
“Good... with room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my 3rd visit to the Casa Marina. In general my vacation was very enjoyable. However considering the Waldorf Astoria name and expense of staying there; I feel compelled to share the following issues:

However large and clean; room was minimumly furnished and not pretty. The only padded piece of funiture was a broken down/ripped easy chair.
Espresso machine sucked! Would of perferrred coffee.
Bathroom lighting is poor. Cheap, old hair dryer was burning out.
Visable rust on vanity and mirror. Signs of black mold on bath tile. No active ventilation/fan either.
Elevator mechanism is extremely loud and/or lacking any sound proofing. Heard all hours of the day/night...
Pool H2O
service was spotty at best. never enouph drink samples, ice pops, etc... Abandoned towels everywhere left for hours.
Never saw any drink runners for guests around pool. Completely ignored by all staff while sitting at the fire pits???
Doorman/vales seem in short supply. Twice with luggage and no one to open doors or assist.
No visable security; anyone has access to the entire property, elevators and guest floors.

Comparred to other "nicer" island hotels and considering the gerneral relaxed standards of Key West; the Casa Marina works. However would never recommend to some expecting the higher standards of other Waldorf Astoria properties...

3,969 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is an excellent hotel with an outstanding pool area, in very large part due to Brandie M! She puts the Capital "A" in awesome! She's a fantastic worker, not merely a people person, but a true people pleaser! I will definitely keep returning as long as she works there! I spent 90% percent of my stay by the pool/beach area, and she always made sure everything was just right! I've seldom met a more pleasant, agreeable or harder worker anywhere!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Casa Marina is away from the bustle and noise of Mallory Square and Duval Street, but easily within walking distance. We had stayed on the other side of Key West on several occasions, but we will return to the Casa Marina for its location, service, and ambiance.

The service was the key factor - very attentive and helpful. The room (Ocean Vista) was small but nice. It was made to seem larger due to the expansive deck and great view of the water.

The ocean view, access to the beach, and the pool areas, really made the property seem very large and inviting. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Get the ocean vista rooms that have a deck - they are on the second floor of the main building.
Land O Lakes, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. Normally we only stay at a B&B when visiting Key West but we thought that we give Casa Marina a try. On one hand, it is a beautiful property and has great views of the ocean from the pool and patio area. On the other hand, the customer service is not what you would expect from a Waldorf and if you are a Hilton Diamond member, like me and are used to the usual member benefits, do not expect many at this property.

The good

Like I said it is a gorgeous old property which is obviously been renovated. You could not find a better setting in Key West. The hotel is located on the quiet side of the island, far away from the crowds and noise of Duval Street. The views of this hotel are hard to beat, especially if you have a room facing the ocean or if you are on the patio. The front desk staff was very nice and I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite upon arrival at 5 PM. Unfortunately, our room was not ready at that time so they gave us a $60 credit for the restaurant/bar and asked us to go sit in the patio bar while they readied our room. Within 30 minutes I received a call from the front desk to let me know that our room was ready. We were taken along with our luggage to well-appointed and roomy one-bedroom suite located in the building closest to the ocean and in a very quiet part of the complex. That is where the positives end.

The bad

What stands out for me the most is that this is a hotel that nickel and dimes you death with very little in to show in return and when you complain they come off as very condescending. They charge a hefty $25 per day resort charge ($15 Gold/Diamond) for use of their amenities such as the pool, fitness center and outdoor games. This is a daily charge that gets added to your room whether you use the amenities or not. There is no courtesy shuttle to and from the airport as is customary with other hotels. There is no shuttle to the old town as do many other hotels in Key West have. If you want to move around you will either have to rent a car or use taxis.

If you are a Hilton Diamond member do not expect the usual benefits of a Diamond membership. The only standard Diamond benefit that you will receive here is free Internet and let me not forget the $15 a day discounted “resort charge”. This hotel does not have an executive lounge or does it offer free breakfast to Diamond or Gold members like all other Hilton properties. When I inquired about this at the front desk the response was we do not have an executive lounge or offer refunds because this is a Waldorf, not a Hilton. Really?

Outside of one young man who worked in the front desk who is always very nice and tried to help us several times, they have a staff that seemed poorly trained, uncaring, surly, condescending and even argumentative at times. An example of this was when we called the front desk and asked for two foam pillows to be brought up to our room because of allergies. When the hotel worker got to our room, he preceded to hand me two duck feather pillows. I politely told him that these were not foam but were duck feather pillows and that we had asked for foam pillows. He then told me that I was wrong and that they were foam pillows. I then grabbed one of the pillows turned it around and showed him the label on the side of the pillow so that the he could see that said “down duck feather” pillow but he continued to argue with me that they were foam pillows so I took the pillows and asked him to leave. I then took the pillows to the front desk myself and told them what happened. They apologize and assure me that I would have the pillows within an hour. Two days later I finally got one foam pillow.

The rest of the staff, specially the bartenders seem sourly and give you the impression that they do not like to work there. I guess it all came to light for me the morning that we checked out. The person that handled our check out was a manager. When I walked up to the desk she greeted me and asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I responded by saying that it was a gorgeous property and that we had enjoyed our stay but that there were several things that needed improvement. I was shocked when she did not look up nor asked what needed to improve. Apparently she was not interested in what I had just said which is exactly what the problem is at his hotel. If management does not care, why would you think that their staff would? It is this general lack of care and flippant attitude that bothered me most during this stay. I would like to add that I am not an occasional traveler. I travel weekly and have stayed at some of the best properties in this country. I do not want to be catered to constantly or groveled over. Nor do I think this is a bad hotel. But I do expect a certain standard when you call yourself a Waldorf and charge accordingly. I have stayed at the Waldorf in New York City and in Orlando several times in the past and received exceptional service. This property needs to greatly improve their customer service or drop the name Waldorf/Hilton altogether. As for me and my wife, we will continue returning to Key West every other month but is very doubtful we will stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Tiki_Pirate,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. The comfort of our guests is our first priority, and I appreciate your sharing your concerns regarding the services you received during your stay. We are actively working with our housekeeping staff to ensure that lack of service never interferes with the singular Waldorf luxury experiences we promise our guests, and I will keep your review in mind as we look toward refresh options. For our diamond and gold members, each Waldorf Astoria provides a property specific benefit. Thank you again for your feedback, and I invite you to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the area. Please contact me at steven.tresh@waldorfastoria.com for personal service.

Steven Tresh
knokke
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I do not seem to have the same taste as some of the other reviewers. This is not a 5star hotel at all. We did the mistake not booking a room overlooking the ocean. We received a room at the back close to big airco units, making lots of noise. So we changed .... The room we received is nothing compared to other 5 star resorts, more like a two star motel. The bathroom (without bath) was 1,8 by 2,5 meter (at the most). Ventilation did not work very good, so after taking a shower everything was wet, I certainly could not shave myself for the first quarter. I saw other reviews mentioning the noice of some beds, well, we had also such bed. They came twice to repair. I call this a hospital room, the window in our room was really, really(!) dirty and could not be opened. So if you had a wet swimming trunk, it stayed wet.

Arriving we asked if a upgrade was possible for a anniversary, but they told us they would like to but the hotel was fully booked. Arriving in the room in the evening my wife looked on the internet, and ALL rooms could immediately be booked. When I went to reception and asked if I could upgrade my room when paying, they said that in the morning all was fully booked, but now it was possible. I suppose you could call this "lying". Unfortunately by then my wife had unpacked ...... so we stayed in that ugly room, also our mistake.

Good things, well, nicely placed, lovely beach, decent breakfast (but by no means 5star quality, even no fresh orange juice!), friendly staff at the beach (not so friendly at the reception). But I saw some remarks about Patrick, well for me he was more than ok. Knowing my problems he gave us free parking with the check out - a nice gift of, I think, some 25 dollars a night!

I would never, never come back to this hotel. My wife unterwent surgery beginning of this year, her room in the hospital was much nicer than ours at casa marina. I really cannot understand how other people seem so enthusiastic.

ps. a excellent restaurant at 200 meters of the hotel, louie's backyard. Going there twice in the evening was a relief escaping the casa marina!

Room Tip: ask for a room where the windows can be opened!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear bogeyknokke,

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Casa Marina Resort. If you would like to discuss your stay please contact me at steven.tresh@waldorfastoria.com for personalized service. We have shared your feedback in regards to your expectations of Waldorf Astoria Resorts with our management team. It is the feedback of guests such as you that assist us in all of our operations.

Best Regards,

Steven Tresh
Bristol, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went to Casa Marina Oct 7th-13th to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We had a wonderful, relaxing time. We absolutely LOVED the pool amenities each day and the Bare Foot Billies jet ski tour and the sunset cruise we booked from the hotel. The hammocks on the beach can't be beat day or night. The food & drink at the pool is wonderful. Truly a week in paradise to recharge. Only thing we didnt like were that we were not given an upgrade (i understand it is "if available") even though both my husband and I are Hilton Hhonors Gold members and we waiting 2+ hours from check in so something could "open up." Then we werent offered anything instead of the upgrade either, not even a free breakfast. It seemed that we were bothering the front desk staff when we asked the next morning if an upgrade was available so we stopped asking. We would absolutely go back but this time book the exact room we should have gotten with the upgrade.

Room Tip: if you can book the rooms with the balcony overlooking the back entrance, beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here in Nov 2012 for a week. It is a brilliant hotel. So clean. The staff were amazing and always willing to help. This is our second time here and it still didn't dissappoint. It is far enough away from the bust Duval Street but close enough to wonder in for a look around. The pool area here is great for relaxing and the free lunchtime cocktail and ice lolly is a nice touch!! The food here is exeptional and well worth trying. We had breakfast here every day and enjoyed lunch a couple of times and two evening meals. It was just perfect spending our evenings sitting by the outside bar, listening to the sea - paradise!!
A restaurant on Duval street is well worth a try, its called Only Wood and is 613 1/2 rear Duval Street. It was fantastic!
Travelling to Mallory Square to see sunset is also a lovely evening out - there are lots of bars nearby to enjoy a drink after.
We would certainly come here again and would recommend to others. We visited here a couple of years ago as a couple alone and this time as a family with a small child and both times we couldn't complain about anything. The rooms were great, very clean and of a good size.
All in all a fabulous holiday in a fabulous place!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!