“Closer than Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 41 hotels in Key West
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Closer than Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This our second time here and on arrival with two other friends, We were greeted with good & bad news, That one of our rooms would onlly be available for one night as it then had to be x-rayed ( don't ask ) but one couple would then be upgraded to a sea facing suite. Fine but how about the other couple left at the other end of the Hotel ? This was duly sorted within half an hour and we were both given suites. From this point on Our stay just took off.
Wonderfull staff. Most Americans are friendly but the staff here exeeded all, We had dinner on the beach one night & the food & service was excellent. This Hotel Has a private beach,with silk hammocks strung from palm tree's food & bar served outside with two very large pools. iced towels to cool you and ice lollies served every afternoon. It is never crowded. The suite's are just great with french doors directly on to the beach. There is much to do in the Hotel. There are all sorts of boats to hire, at a very reasonable price along with bicycles. This would be a great place for a celebration. there were a couple of weddings taking place the week we were there. we all have a different idea of paradise, but to me this was very near. Key West itself has changed a lot, Nearly gone are all the lovely individual shops, and the place is full hen & stag parties...But its still a lovely place, The best part is the US Dollar rate which makes everything very affordale

Room Tip: Rooms next to the lift can be noisy, always go for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

3,957 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The service at the hotel pools is amazing. Free drink of the day, free popsicles, iced towels scented with eucalyptus! And, they come around and clean your sunglasses!!!! Mark, Constantine, Austin, and Bob are the BEST. Thanks guys.

Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very nicely appointed older hotel. It has the elegance of style and all the modern amenities. We would definately stay here again. The pools are wonderful and the beach outstanding. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a standard king room on the 2nd floor facing north. Not much of a view, but very convenient...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I debated on which hotel to stay for our honeymoon to the keys and we're glad we chose the Casa Marina. Great location, outside of the busy Duval Street (just a 5 minute bike ride away) with it's own private beach. Upon arrival, we were greeted by valet - 25$ a night, pretty standard for valet parking. We only did it one night as there was FREE street parking right across the street.

The hotel was built in the 1930s, it's been renovated to keep up with the times but hasn't lost its charm. Dark hardwood floors, white curtains, neutral tones when it came to furniture. Beautiful yet small lobby, had a small bar, computer station with internet, and seats to lounge.

The hotel staff is very friendly, the concierge, very accommodating, helpful and very knowledgeable. I wanted to surprise my husband as his birthday was on the 3rd day of our visit and they helped me in picking chocolate covered strawberries, and hand wrote a card for me as we did this over the phone. We were out on a tour of the Dry Tortugas and they timed the surprise perfectly, so when we got back to the hotel it was waiting for him.

Our first room was a bit of a disappointment.. corner room with a measly view of the beach. When we got in, we immediately looked at each other and said, let's move to another room. My husband went and spoke to the front desk and they switched our room to a slightly bigger one with a better view of the beach.

The beach was a small, man made and the beach service was OK. If you can snag a hammock, do it!

The room was simple, king size bed, rather small TV with very few channels. The bathroom was quite small, and the fixtures seemed old.. Although overall the room was nice, it was not what I was expecting of a Waldorf 4 Diamond hotel, or any 4 Diamond hotel for that matter.

We stayed for 10 days, spent time at the outside bar in the late afternoon before heading to dinner. Ate breakfast a few mornings at the hotel restaurant which had great outdoor seating. Tried dinner at the hotel but the hostess didn't seem very inviting, knowledgeable or helpful, so we ate out. The hotel was a great retreat from the busy Duval street scene (day or night) and from all of the fun activities and exploring of the quaint island.

It was easy to part ways with the hotel, but hard to part ways with the island.

Room Tip: For free parking, park in the street. Rent bicycles rather than use your car, corner rooms are odd i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Oviedo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

There were definitely plusses and minuses to our recent stay at Casa Marina, and a couple of the minuses are controllable and would be just changes I make if we go back:

The Suite
We stayed in a one-bedroom ocean vista suite. Quite simply, it's not worth the additional expense as we spent almost no time in the suite. It truly was a one-bedroom suite but the bedroom was dark, the ceililng was low, and was hardly the ocean front vista I expected to wake up to each morning. When your initial reaction when walking into a suite at a Waldorf is, "oh, this is all it is," not a great sign in my book It felt more like a little apartment than a modern suite. This might just be a personal preference but it just didn't feel like it was worth the cost.

Room Cleaning
We were always wondering when we went back to our room whether it would be cleaned or not. We came back at 4pm one day and it still wasn't clean. When we called to complain and have someone come up after we were ready (in like 30 minutes), they sent someone immediately, only adding to our frustration.

The "Spa"
I wasn't terribly surprised by the high prices at the spa when I booked in advance. It's what I expect at a hotel of this level; however, for that price, I expect an actual spa with some level of overhead (steam room, hot tub, locker room etc.) rather than a converted hotel room. Pretty inappopriate in my opinion. There's also an option for a massage on the beach, but it's not secluded and right next to where the jet skis leave from. The massage itself was actually pretty good; however, it killed the experience a bit that I was paying a premium simply because I was at a nice property but not actually in a spa. The hotel does a nice job trying to make the room an inviting spot, but it's not a spa - it has more the feel of a temporary arrangement.

The Beach
Now this is the reason to come back to Casa Marina. It's one of the better beach/pool setups I've seen at a hotel. The beach is easily accessible, close to the hotel, has the right level of waitstaff taking orders (and not being pushy about it), and has some of the more comfortable hammocks I've seen. It was a perfect place to relax.

Location
It's far enough removed from the craziness of Duval Street but close enough to where you can easily get there (we drove and paid to park - was an easier decision with a pregnant wife) and experience what you want to experience while knowing you have the ability to quickly retreat to the quiet and luxury of the hotel.

Breakfast
The buffet breakfast was excellent, especially for a buffet. While it was expensive (as I would expect), it actually seemed like a decent value. I also liked that there was a coffee shop in the hotel's store that was an easy option if you just wanted a coffee and bagel or muffin.

Overall, I'd go back but I'd do it differently - I'd save my money and just get a regular room and take a pass on the massage while still enjoying the amenities the hotel has to offer. While I think it's silly that they charge a daily resort fee (just add it to the price of the room so guests don't see it - it's like a checked bag fee except there's no option not to check a bag - I'd rather pay $485 and get free towel service, free internet, free fitness center, etc. rather than $460 for the room w/ a $25 kicker, but again that's just me - I get why they do it and it's not a deal breaker).

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

loved it here. The pool area was lovely & the scattered hammocks are awesome- the fire pit on the cool nights was wonderful also. At this time of year, they got a bit crowded - it might be worth adding another! Brandie at the pool area was so helpful - the bartender was AMAZINGLY good & efficient! Nice breakfast buffet included w/AMES FHR - very good. We booked a suite & it was SO nice - plenty of room for two tall adults to relax, spread out, & also sit on the balcony & hear the waves. Check-in suggested Louie's Backyard Cafe - 3 block walk - our first night & we loved it so much we went back again! Buy the Old Town Trolley ticket - it's good for 2 days - and use it to go wherever you need to be in Key West - then come back & enjoy the resort feel at Casa Marina. My only suggestion would be that one of the pools be an "adult only" pool & one for kids, and a few more of those big chairs in the pool! I want to come back if only to sit in that chair! Would suggest this resort to anyone - enjoy!

Room Tip: the suite is HUGE - living/dining area, nespresso, lots of storage, if you're there for a few da...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was visiting Key West in the beginning of November, we were planning on staying at the Casa Marina but could not get a reservation because of the Meeting of the Minds taking place at the same time. We ended up staying at the Westin, one day we decided to walk to Casa Marina to check it out for a future stay and eat at the restaurant, after the fairly long walk from the Westin we were met at the door of the Casa Marina lobby by a older woman asking for our "credentials", it seems that the entire property had been taken over by the Parrotheads and we were rudely turned away. I find it ridiculous that the Management would go along with this and not allow anyone else on the property. They have certainly lost my business and I wil stick with the Westin for my return visit!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Woogarg2,

We are sorry we were not able to accomodate you on our sold out time period. We would have loved for you to stay with us. We are fortunate to have a beautiful property that is ideal for many organizations to book. They even brought their own staff members. We would be happy to try and accomodate you or any organization you may be a part of at a future date.

Been to Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!