“Not what I expected” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I stayed at the Doubletree to attend a family wedding. While it is a decent place, it is by no means a resort. The shuttle service only runs once an hour and given how far downtown is, this wasn't enough. Room walls were paper thin and our neighbors liked to party. They woke us up every night we were there around 4:30 am when they returned from the bar. The room itself was decent but you could tell they do patch jobs every now and then instead of a full redo. A whole section of a wall was unpainted as if a piece of furniture had been painted around then moved. Our "balcony" faced the parking lot and barely fit one chair. There is no salon, barely a store, and the pool is quite small. It is not a resort. The food was ok (comparable to a TGIF quality) but the service was horrible. The beach was a shuttle ride away, again only once an hour. Cabs had to be called, there was no cab line. Thus getting around the island was always time consuming. The only two positive things - the shuttle drivers were very nice and the beds were very comfortable.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Most of the staff, location, food
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Omaha, NE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

I’ll start from the beginning…

I travel frequently for my career and as a matter of fact, this stay was free for my wife and I as well as our airfare. I stay in hotels just about every week of the year and most often, Hilton properties.

First off, this is not a ‘resort’ as I found most places in Key West like to call themselves. It is a hotel with a pool! Nothing more, nothing less.

Upon check in, the staff was very unfriendly and not helpful at all. As I mentioned before, my stay was free because I was using Hilton points. They claimed I had to show a certificate to get my stay. No big deal, but they were in no way helpful to help me find that certificate #. They told me to call the Hilton line and have them fax it over. Still not a huge deal, just a bit of an inconvenience. The Hilton line says it happens all the time but the hotel will usually call them to get things squared away. Not at the Grand Key Resort though. It delayed my check in about 45 minutes and if it weren’t for me getting it done for them, I would have been waiting for 2 hours to check in. It wasn’t a case of them checking me in so my wife could relax in the room while we sorted things out, it was both of us waiting until it was complete. Not exactly what I’d call accommodating a guest.

Next, the hotel lounge was closed four of the five nights we were there. The outside tiki bar was open, but if you wanted to sit inside and enjoy a few cocktails, you were out of luck. Again, not a huge deal unless it is rainy or cool out which it was, so who wants to sit outside. In other words, if you were not downtown, you could enjoy a cold beverage, but in the comfort of your room.

The food….the food was marginal at best. Slow service and with servers standing around talking rather than waiting on customers. This is certainly not how you run a restaurant. With only 2 other tables dining, it took us 20 minutes before our server said a word to us. An hour later, we had our food.

As far as good things, the hotel concierge was very good as were the bartenders they had outside. Very nice and knowledgeable. The rooms were clean and the hotel was in good shape. The shuttle service was also very good. They ran on time and they did a great job. It seems the management and staff are the issue here. Quick and polite service should be a given when paying what they ask at the DoubleTree Grand Key Resort.

In conclusion, I do travel a lot and I do consider myself a good judge of food and service. I didn’t find my experience to be very good anywhere in Key West. Basically, they don’t expect repeat business out of their customers, and therefore they don’t put much effort into food or service. If I were a manager at this resort or any restaurants in Key West, I’d sent the crew down to Mexico to a resort and have them shadow their people for a day or two to figure out what the service industry is supposed to be like.

It may come off as a bit harsh but I call it like I see it. If you’re not a very experienced traveler, it may be just fine for you. But if you feel that you should get what you’re paying for, I’d recommend staying closer to Duval Street at one of the local Bed & Breakfast spots. We talked to several couples that had done that and paid less than $200 per night. The only thing you’ll be missing out on would be the pool. If that’s not important to you, stay somewhere else.

Key West would be a great time if you’re on a Cruise ship and stopping in for the day, but for an extended stay, go somewhere where they will appreciate your business.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Service and Food
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Port Charlotte, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Check in was a horrible experience. Never received key to mini-bar. Our room was paid in full when we arrived, however, when I checked my credit card statement. I found that $100.00 was charge to my account by the Doubletree as a security deposit. I have stayed at many, many hotels and have never been charged a security deposit. I was unaware of the security deposit until I checked my credit card statement. The charge was never explain at the front desk upon check in. When I called the hotel for an explaination the front desk manager was rude and hung up on me.
The only positive feedback I can give is the shuttle drivers are very nice. However, the hotel does not run enough shuttles.
The overall service was very bad. They offer a connoisseur service, however, when you ask the connoisseur questions you get the impression that your are bothering her. Don't try a get a drink at the pool bar this is nearly impossible.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — service and distance from activities
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

Myself and a group of 4 ladies just returned from our annual leave-the-hubby-and-kids behind girls trip here in Key West at the Doubletree. We had booked the rooms several months in advance and requested they be near each other (some rooms adjoin) and this request was happily accomodated. I am afraid perhaps that some people on here may expect too much of the casual, laid back environment they are visiting in Key West. The DT is as equal in quality to other DT's I've stayed at in the US (the BEST beds), it is easily a 4 star property and is going to be in the top 8 hotel chains you could choose to stay at in Key West. It is expensive, but so is every other hotel in KW, most of them almost twice the price of the DT.

I was a little worried after some of the negative comments as well, but I can say that we did not experience anything negative. The service at check-in was fast and every person we encountered, from front desk to concierge to bellmen and drivers and bartenders were extremely helpful and pleasant. Some of the wait staff was a wee bit indifferent, but service was good and efficient regardless. I think I was most amazed at how cheap the minibar, sundry shop, food and drink prices were for any hotel, let alone Key West. We ate at the restaurant daily for breakfast, and had lunch poolside a few times, and always enjoyed the food. The pool area was beautiful and the whole facility was clean and in newly refurbished condition. I've heard some say the only drawback to this hotel is the location, however we found it to be a plus, as it was probably much quieter at night than any downtown locations would be. It was about 10 minute at most drive to either of the 2 stops the shuttle makes downtown, and the shuttle service was very prompt plus they would send an extra shuttle when the first one was full. If you need to go to the airport, they are there and ready to take you, and the drivers were full of good advice anytime we asked. Our late evening cab rides back (later than the shuttles ran) were under $20. The pool was great - plenty of towels and chairs and even several cabanas. In one cabana, there are full massage services offered. On the weekend, a steel drum musician played poolside.

If you have any questions about the hotel or a visit to Key West, I'd be happy to answer anything I can.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Rooms are smaller than most, but not terrible
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Petersburg, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

Had reservations for one night but could not catch ferry boat the next day. We stayed another night. Th next day the hotel helped us obtain a rental car and continual called for pickup. They printed out a road map to Ft Meyers without us even having to ask. The hotel is beautiful. They have an houly shuttle that goes downtown all day and until midnight or so. Also a shuttle to the beach, which we did not use . They have avery helpful and courteous staff.

• Disliked — l
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

The hotel is very nice , perhaps a little bit overpriced . A well heated large swiming pool , nice and clean rooms .
But on top of that , people were very professional , helpfull and a very good ambiance .
I forgot important papers in the safe of my room , I called , they called me back 4 time to let me know that they found it and sent them back quickly.
I will recommand this hotel

• Liked — Poelple working there
  • Disliked — Spa was not working
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Tracy, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

I want to report that we had a wonderful experience. I hope this puts many of you at ease. We planned this trip 4 months ago and I have read many of the reveiws on this site. I was a little worried with some of the negative comments. I can say that we did not experience anything negative. The service at check-in was fast and we received our cookies. We ate at the restaurant several times and enjoyed the food. The pool area was beautiful and the whole facility was clean and in good repair. The only drawback to this hotel is the location. It is quite far from Duval street, but the shuttle service was very prompt and they even extended the hours over the Easter weekend and sent an extra shuttle when the first one was full. If you need to go to the airport, they are there and ready to take you. After staying here I question some of the negative comments and would assure anyone that they will have a great time.

• Liked — Beautiful facility
  • Disliked — Distance from Duval Street
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West? Share your experiences!