“3rd stay ... Issues encountered get resolved quickly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3990 S Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami Beach, Florida
“3rd stay ... Issues encountered get resolved quickly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have reviewed this property before and each time I have had a different experience.

This time, I attempted to book last minute during Spring Break. Although online I could not find an open room, the assistant GM was able to find me something when I called the hotel directly.

When my family arrived, I was told they no longer give out gift bags for kids but they DO, of course, still hand out the warm, yummy DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies. Those are free and you can call the desk at any time to get more. I am so "cookied out".

The lobby is pretty with ceiling fans and a beautiful reef tank. The nurse shark got too big and had to be removed, hopefully they will get another small shark soon.

We had no issues checking in. The person who took care of us was friendly and knowledgeable.

We were able to get a luggage cart and were asked if we needed help (no) without trouble.

We went to our room, which was the smallest we've encountered yet -- just a regular 2 double bed with a chair, a desk with a chair, and no balcony. Our view was a roof.

We kind of laughed it off because we had outstanding accommodations on our first stay, but were happy enough just to get a room on short notice.

However we kept hearing loud noises, I said it was like a ghost howling, through the vents. I wondered if it was the AC (which is central, not an annoying box on the wall unit).

Not there to spend time in the room, though, we went off on our first evening's adventures.

Came back to the hotel, watched some TV - used the free wi - fi to upload photos. It was not super fast but we did not have trouble connecting. If you are a Hilton Honors member at a certain level, I believe I read you get a free upgrade to the super fast wi - fi connection.

In the morning, I woke up to a horrible noise and my bed kept shaking.

No, not ghosts! We were on the second floor and apparently right next to or over the hotel housekeeping laundry facility.

I had a perfect night sleep until the bed and noise kept waking me up in the morning.

I called downstairs simply to ask if we were near a laundry room. We had no plans to switch rooms, my husband offered to sleep in the shaky bed and I would sleep in the less shaky bed that night. But when I called, they immediately said "Let me see if we can find you another room" and immediately we spoke to the manager who set us up with a room on the 4th floor in the front of the building.

Be sure to ask if you are by the laundry room!! Don't do it... Unless you like a massage bed. :-P

The next room was the same size but had a view of some trees and the parking lot. I think, perhaps, only the balcony rooms have a view of the pool area but you'd have to ask. They do have in - house reservations during regular business hours, you don't have to rely on the 800 number.

We had zero issues except the first night our mini fridge was not cold after being on all day. We called downstairs and BOOM< within minutes someone came with an entirely new mini fridge. He said this one worked great, and installed it for us and took the other away.

Very quick service.

Our new room, again, was ready in a flash so we were able to move our belongings before we headed out for the day.

Although they hotel does offer shuttle service, we did not use it this time as they don't have the same stops as they had years ago. Instead we opted to pay 10 and 15 dollars to park in a lot very close to Duval Street each of our night's stays so we wouldn't have to walk as far to meet the shuttle locations, and also were able to leave when we pleased. But the shuttle is a real plus, typically. But this time around I opted to spend the money on a lot for the convenience.

When we arrived back at the hotel in the evening, we picked up more cookies ... Yum. My daughter and I went out to the pool and were given towels at the front desk. It was SUPER cold outside, so we ended up in the hot tub. It was getting late, the pool closes at 11, but an employee came around with some nice, larger, folded towels and offered them to anyone who wanted them (gladly we accepted).

There is also an outside bar for anyone who wants to get a drink and bring it to the pool or hot tub.

There is an indoor restaurant, as well, and I think they have room service until 10 or 11 pm.

I did not use all amenities or the exercise room so I can't comment, but what we did use we enjoyed.

We were able to ask the front desk staff about places to eat, etc. and were never steered wrong. There was not one unfriendly staff member during our stay. In fact some went above and beyond - TRULY above and beyond!! Rhonda is awesome and brought us some extra coffees and goodies to our room in a flash when we asked for them. So overly nice, they have a very friendly staff with a lot of familiar faces which tells me that people are happy in their work or, at the very least, doing a great job so they are able to keep their jobs! :-P

We also ordered room service for breakfast the morning of check out (which is express, no need to visit the front desk).

It was delivered on a tray with a great presentation. The portions on the kids meals were enormous!! We laughed and wondered what type of kids they were feeding, baby mastodons?

All wonderful as everyone had plenty to eat to fuel up for the day. And the bacon was BEYOND regular bacon ... It was like bacon from heaven. It was so good, I couldn't believe it.

SO much food that was very yummy.

There is always a 2 - cup coffee pot in the room that makes single cups of Wolfgang Puck coffees. Rooms are stocked with coffee and regular Lipton as well as chamomile teas.

I hope I am not forgetting anything ... Oh, but I am!!

There is also, on the premises, a little grocery store. Like a convenience store. They sell what you might expect to find in a 7-11 along with postcards and the like. We were able to stock up on drinks and munchies before going out for the day in case we had a difficult time finding beverages on the go.

I love the DoubleTree in Key West and am treated SO well when I am there that I feel spoiled. I am scared to ever try anything else. I refer all of my friends to this location when they are traveling to Key West. Yes, the rooms can be pricey -- but look for deals online. Sometimes there are coupon codes. Ask about Florida resident discounts, Triple A ... You never know. I think ALL places in Key West are overpriced, the keys in general are fairly expensive so what you find in Key West for 320 dollars may not be what you are expecting if you have paid the same for a room in, say, Marietta Georgia and received something much larger. Compare prices and you'll find, for the amenities and service you receive, it's comparable to other properties.

This location also has space for meetings, weddings, etc. The pool is large and very well maintained. There are covered cabanas and plenty of room. They offer a variety of massage and other services and have their own salon on the property. It depends on the type of trip you are looking for, but if you truly want a resort because you like these extras, you may FIND a cheaper rate at a bed and breakfast, but you won't find the same amenities.

Love the DoubleTree!! :) Just stay away from the laundry room.

PS-- there is a parking fee per day of, I think, 10 dollars and no, they don't offer free breakfast unless you get it as part of a special package.

And on night 2? I slept like a baby!! I have a bad back, too, and I didn't wake up once. Ahhhh.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Property is getting old, needs a refresh. First room smelled of mold and the AC sounded like a jet was landing in my room. Front desk staff needs serious customer service training. Cookies are fabulous

• Stayed March 2013
WeCareInKeyWest, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Great service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings should always be expected when staying with us. I'm so sorry to hear that the noisy AC unit, unclean bathroom, and front office service prevented you from having a truly great experience with us. I can assure you that we're addressing these concerns and reviewing your comments for refresh opportunities with our team. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed our signature cookies. Won't you come back and give us another opportunity to show you our true warm hospitality? We'll have a fresh cookie and warm smiles waiting to greet you.
Little River, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our room was oversize, for the price we did not expect our view to be the metal roof of another building. We felt the staff was very rude, except for the shuttle drivers who were great. Room was clean when we checked in, maids did a poor job of cleaning during our three day stay. This was a $150.00 hotel not $309.00. We stayed in seven different hotels on this trip, the doubletree was the most expensive and the biggest mistake.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel rooms were smaller then expected. The hotel needs to be updated as it is dated. I was advised the hotel was 5 minutes from downtown however it was more like 15 -20 minutes. The shuttle service was good and on time. The breakfast that was included was excellent. The staff was exceptional.

• Stayed March 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Arrived at the Double Tree and received a warm and delicious cookie. The lobby was gorgeous, with lemon and orange water, large exotic fish tanks, a a beautiful bar and pool area. It was clean and quiet, which I loved. The shuttle was also a huge plus, and the drivers were always friendly and willing to answer any questions that we had. I 100000% recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here, we did use points for the whole week. The service was friendly and gracious. We loved being able to walk across the street to the ocean boardwalk to watch the sunrise and surprisingly see small nurse shark, baby hammerhead, lots of barracuda, stingray and other fish from the seawall. The pool was very nice and large enough to accomadate all guests. The breakfast, which was included with hilton honors, ranged from healthy to hearty! Outdoor seating was very pleasant overlooking the pool. Located close to the airport, the hotel provides a free shuttle on the hour from 8:00 AM to 11 PM and makes it very convenient to go to the beach or into Old Town etc. The room was clean, well maintained and very comfortable. Truly a pleasure. The fitness center was the only area that could use a little upgrade. Only one of the 3 treadmills was working properly. The first day I tried one of the treadmills and while the speed could be increased, it could not be decreased expect to stop the machine. That is really the only negative comment to make at all. I would highly recommend a stay here!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Southern Shores, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We have visited Key West several times and have stayed at the DoubleTree here at least five times. This trip was the best yet thanks to an available upgrade (as a Hilton Club member). The accommodations were very comfortable. The hotel pool is convenient, clean and relaxing. Breakfast had the full breakfast buffet every day, and it was prepared great, and was at all times fresh. ALL staff was friendly and helpful. One of the best features of this hotel is the shuttle to downtown, which makes shopping, eating and trips for a sunset drink convenient. The drivers are all great guys, and provide friendly first class service. Don't overlook this hotel if you are vacationing (or visiting) Key West.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West? Share your experiences!