“Don't expect a Marriott, but it's worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Banana Bay Resort - Key West
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2319 North Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #38 of 40 hotels in Key West
TX
“Don't expect a Marriott, but it's worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My wife and I visited Key West in September for a couple of nights, which happened to coincide with a biker/poker run. Over 10,000 motorcycles converged on Key West that weekend making it a little difficult to find a reasonable room rate. Considering the location and amenities, Banana Bay was the best we could do.

In all honesty I was a little skeptical considering some of the reviews I had read. I actually call the hotel prior to booking to see why they thought some of the reviews were so bad. The truth is the place isn't bad for the money. Rooms in Key West are very expensive, yet I booked this room which was more than 50% less that the national brands. Additionally there is no resort or parking fees. It is also true that property could use some maintenance and a good sprucing up. It certainly shows signs of wear that you would almost never see in a Marriott or Hilton type of property. Our room was okay, the bed was comfortable. The property has a nice pool and a nice view overlooking the water for your morning coffee. My wife and I walked down to Duvall St which was probably at least 1.5 miles away. That evening including the walking we did downtown was probably in excess of 5 miles. This probably isn't for everyone, but we enjoy walking. Otherwise I think a cab ride is like $10 each way. We also drove our car downtown another evening. If you park downtown ask the hotel concierge at Banana bay to point out the parking lots before you go.

Also, the morning continental breakfast is okay. It's basic, but remember comparatively speaking you are not paying a lot for this room. For two nights it was fine, I don't think I would want to spend much more then that however. Consider the value and have reasonable expectations. Don't think you are going to pay a budget price for a 4 or 5 star hotel in Key West. If you are very particular and have Marriott type standards this place may not be for you. If you are budget conscience and would rather save a couple hundred bucks and use that money to go jet skiing, or have a really nice dinner, then this place might be for you.

Regardless, enjoy Key West for what it is while you are there. It's a great place to visit and you probably shouldn't be spending too much time in your room if you are only there a couple of days anyway.

Extra tips:
They consider this an "Adult" resort which means it is clothing optional. People will likely exercise that option. If you don't like that don't stay here, or just don't look. We chose not to look. But don't bring kids.

Make time to go to Bahia Honda State park about 30 minutes north of Key West. If you like the beach, this is far better then anything on Key West. They also offer a snorkel tour to Looe Key which is 50% less then you will find departing from Key West.

Plan on the Tiki bar being closed. I asked when I made the reservation because I read some comments in other reviews. So being September I thought it would probably be closed. When I made my reservation they assured me it would be open. It wasn't, not at all. But who cares. Go get your own beer, wine, or whatever, it’s cheaper.

Finally if you book this resort, call the Hotel direct as they might extend a 10% discount if you ask.

Enjoy

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Loughborough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

on arrival we were met by a dirty room, rubbish left in the cupboards and filthy room, this is not what we expected in this beautiful location. went to reception to see if we could upgarde to a sea view, NOWAY for you was our response, apprently they checked the room the next day for extra cleaning and there was no change, we lived with someone elses empty mcdonlads box all week. No replacement coffee, no clean towles, room stank, no way of getting any ventilation yuk. Supposed to be fresh fruit, crossiants etc for breakfast, turned out breakfast! in a room off reception that had random chairs, half jug of coffee, stale bread, crumbs and jam on table, NO WAY were we staying in there. Staff attitude is appaling how they are in the customer service industry I dont know. Only saving grace was the sun set view from the beach! which would squeeze about four people on but if you got there first you had it to yourself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Stayed in hotel during week day and was not expecting much during a quick stay in Key West but it was really poor. The grounds of the property were in bad shape with no signs of any staff or any manager on duty.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Riverdale, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Excellent and Fabulous. Banana Bay is PET FRIENDLY (we booked on bringfido.com) and it exceeded expectations (based on other tourist towns like Daytona and Miami). It was clean and well accomodating. The room was quaint with netting on beds. The beach was only so-so because of rock protections - you can get in water, but with difficulty. the resort faces the gulf and a couple nearby tiny keys. the water is crystal clear with abundant seagrass, fish and crabs visible, seabirds are plenty (no annoying seagulls). there are even a few rabbits that seem to be semi-domestic. The staff keeps the place tidy. The pools was hot (as expected in September). the only negative was the hot tub was not so much at times (hot tub gets some shade). The pool area is clothing optional and everyone was well mannered. the pool was visited by the 25-65 age; apparently the resort doesnt allow under 16. the clothing (less) and kid-less are big benefits. there is several large shopping across the street. the tour trams stop across street at Fairfield. no bugs - which extremely surprsing for mid-summer. the tiki bar was closed. however, I spent more on Duval per night than I did for the room (maybe I should not admit that). Nothing to complain about. We have had much less satisfying stays in Daytona and Miami ("better" more costly hotels). We will be back.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Some people are just never happy. Having said that, the term "resort" has changed somewhat over time. Back in the day, if your Florida motel had some acreage, a pool and some palm trees it was called a "resort." Now of course the word has a different meaning. The Banana Bay is certainly not on a par with a 5-star luxury hotel with all the amenities, but it is a fine place to stay if you're not Mick Jagger, and you don't want to spend a fortune on a place where you're basically just going to sleep.

My buddy and I took a trip on our motorcycles to Key West. We *could* have stayed at the Casa Marina, but didn't want that. We arrived on a weekday. The Banana Bay is out-of-the-way, and separate from all the other typical chain hotel/motels you find when you first get into KW. The staff was friendly, the place was clean - it got us wondering if the people who wrote bad reviews even stayed at the same place?

Yes, yes, the carpeting in the rooms should be replaced with tile. Other than that, the room was fine, and had the usual microwave/refrigerator/iron/hair dryer that we've come to expect. We liked the ceiling fan - nice touch! It's the tropics, after all. And we liked the little balcony with table and chairs.

The pool area was nice and clean and well-maintained. All in all, a very nice hotel! By the way, the Banana Bay had the most comfortable bed/pillows of any hotel I've stayed at recently, which has been mainly Holiday Inn Expresses and the like.

As for the breakfast... As hotels get more competitive, they offer bigger and bigger breakfast bars, to include eggs and waffles and stuff. It gets silly. You want a big breakfast? There's a Waffle House right up the street. The Banana Bay advertises and provides a continental breakfast of cereals, bagels, and muffins, with plenty of coffee and juice. What part of "continental breakfast" do people not understand? It was fine for us. Oh, there was no fresh fruit, boo-hoo. Like I said, some people are never happy.

You could eat your breakfast outside under the palm trees on a little patio by the water, which we did. Marvelous! Nice way to start off your day. Alternatively there is another patio with tables that overlooks the pool/jacuzzi.

We liked the tropical setting of the place. Yes, it was on the water but no, it had no beach. Big deal. Being right on the water is a BIG plus in my book. Few hotels in KW are actually *on* the water.

There is no wireless internet in the room, although the breakfast room is a wireless hotspot and has a desktop computer for guests to use. No problem for me, as I left *my* computer home (we were supposed to be on vacation!). My riding buddy brought his, and got online in the room through his cellphone, which worked fine.

Whatever problems this hotel may have had in the past, they seem to be corrected as of August of 2010. We had a great time staying there, and when I go back to Key West, I'm going to stay there again. Can you do better in Key West than stay at the Banana Bay? Not for the money you can't. But you can do a LOT worse. (By the way, I'm not an employee or shill - contact me at BH206bB3@juno.com if you want to know more.)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Ocean View, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed here last July without any issues, and we decided to stay here again from July 29--August 1. Our room was clean, the front desk (Molly) was awesome, and parking was plentiful. We also enjoyed walking around town near the resort at dusk. We could even walk to Pizza Hut :)

We like this resort because you must be 16 or older to stay here...makes for a nice stay :)
I was also pleased to see the rabbit (s?) was still there. I LOVE RABBITS! So sweet!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
fairborn, oh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I decided to stay at Banana Bay because of the price difference and location between other establishments on the island.

THE PROS:
--My first impression of BB (Banana Bay) was decent. One of the associates, Matt, held our baggage when we arrived early from the airport. He recommended several restaurants, activities, beaches and bars to go to... and they all turned out GREAT! I really enjoyed several of his choices. He also gave my sister and I coupons for them... which was a plus since everything on the island is so expensive.
--The pool was always clean and a very nice temperature. I even sat in the hot tub once and it was very very enjoyable--even on a hot day.
--The private "beach" was quaint and nice... you can lay out in serious silence
--The pool seemed to be never busy... it was quiet and there weren't a bunch of kids screaming and jumping in the pool. The pool was very relaxing.
--Military Discount (if you apply...)

THE NEGATIVES:
--When I called & made a reservation (at the actual hotel) I clarified that the tiki bar was open and actively being used... the woman who helped me said it WAS open.... to my surprise upon check-in, it was not. I was really disappointed.
--Almost every time we went to the pool, we had to ask/call for pool towels... and most of the time they were out. This was frustrating since we had to use our bath towels. For some reason they seemed stingy on towels...
--The heat/AC in our room was inconsistent. It was either blazing or an igloo in our room. It was so frustrating. We had to get up in the middle of the night to either turn on/off the AC... seriously ridiculous.
--The Housekeeping cleaned at very weird hours.... we had to call to see if they were coming to our room, and to our surprise--they forgot. They came around 6pm after we called... it was odd.

If you need any other info, let me know. I'd be happy to help...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Banana Bay Resort - Key West? Share your experiences!