“Good Fun-Good Price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Key West
Marathon, Florida
“Good Fun-Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

OK, I. like many others, read the reviews here, and was a bit skeptical before arrival. I'm happy to say that it appears that many folks are very hard to please. This is not a Marriott or a Hilton, so if that's what you expect, then book at the Marriott or Hilton.

What it is is a piece of the Florida Keys. When I travel, I enjoy soaking up the atmosphere of the surrounding area, and Banana Bay surely does that. The rooms have good sized balconies (about 4' X 12') and most overlook the pool area. The rooms were also large and, well, roomy. The 4 post bed had a mosquito net over it that my was thought was adorable. The TV worked, with plenty of cable channels. No, there is no WiFi in the rooms, but you come to the Keys to get away, and who doesn't have a data plan on their phone anyway?

The pool was spotless, and because this an adults only resort, there were no screaming kids. I like kids, I even have a few of my own, but I came without kids, and thoroughly enjoyed not having to listen to someone else's. That aspect alone was one of the best points of the entire long weekend.

Yeah, it's a couple of miles to Duval St, but a taxi is a flat rate $8/person, or you can rent a scooter or an electric car for your stay. There's a K-Mart, and a beautiful Publix grocery store within a five minute walk, so don't over pack. If you need anything, they have it all, including a liquor store.

Next time I fly down to Key West, this is where I'll be staying...unless I bring the kids.
Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our room was pretty bad. Not very clean, worst bed I've slept on in years, leaking toilet, etc. The pool is lovely, clean, and well maintained. The location is not very convenient to Ducal Street, but you could walk it if you wanted (about a 35 min walk). In general, the staff were friendly. Also, the hotel is totally dog friendly. We brought 2 dogs (20 & 60 pounds) and they were welcome with no pet fee. It was my first trip to Key West and I now see why this hotel is such a bargain compared to others. It wasn't a terrible stay, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you you are OK with a seriously mediocre room.

• Stayed July 2014
Concord, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here one night . Liked the pool area with a nice non swimming beach. Great relaxing view, even saw a manatee. Room was ok breakfast wasn't. Would've liked to get a drink at the pool bar but it was closed and looked like it has been for awhile. $10 cab ride to Mallory square.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

As soon as we hit Key West, got on the phone and called several hotels for pricing. Banana Bay was not the cheapest. What made us choose Banana Bay was the desk clerk who answered the phone. I forgot his name but was very accommodating and patiently answered all questions and concerns. We loved everything about our room. We were a bit surprised at the pool the next day. We did not realize this was an adult resort until we observed a couple nude sun bathers. Nothing was offensive and we enjoyed our 3 day stay. The price was great for the quality of the room and the breakfast was good as well. We felt safe leaving our motorcycles out at night since they had night security. We will definitely will visit Banana Bay Resort again when we visit Key West. Upon check out, we had the same great and friendly service with the female desk clerk. Gotta remember to get names. :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pensacola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

All hotels in Key West are ridiculously expensive but being low season Banana Bay had a price I could live with.. Beautiful room with king size canopy bed! Very tropical! Overlooking pool & jacuzzi ! Had all the amenities needed for a comfortable stay .

• Stayed June 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Second visit to Banana Bay. Positives: large comfortable rooms and beds, decent breakfast spread, easy trolley ride to Duval Street (when available), good pool area. One night our group had pizza delivered and had beer and pizza by the pool. The pool area is large enough that we were not cramped, nor did we disturb others. Negatives: no internet, no bar, not within walking distance of Duval St.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This place is an absolute disaster ,I'm here right now and I hate !!! We are suppose to stay three days but this is going to be the longest dreadful three days of my life , the room is a two bedroom and the a.c. is broken the cable is out we only have one channel we are sleeping in the heat I wouldn't pay no more than 50$ AGAIN for this rat hole ,this place looks as if it's for homeless people,prostitutes and drug addicts.I was really excited about coming here and getting away from home now I'm dying to go back home worse vacation ever the cable was out we only have one channel and the people didn't bother to do anything about it ,this place has mold and should be destroyed the good PERKS pool your by the beach but can't get in it I have been up all night due to the heat in my room the ceiling fan doesn't work trust me don't waste your money find somewhere else this is just UNACCEPTABLE !!!!!!!!Hate it so much!!!!

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Banana Bay Resort - Key West? Share your experiences!