“Exceeded our expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Exceeded our expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

After reading other reviews we had our doubts but were pleasantly surprised. The worst part was the rainy weather. Upon checking in they had us in a double room ( I had called 2 weeks prior to confirm king room) Perry at the front desk immediately resolved the situation and put us in a room on the end with a view of the water and pool. Yes it could definitely use some TLC but for one of the only places that allows pets it was great. The pool was awesome and so was the beach front. Although you can't really swim there they had rocking chairs just to enjoy the view. I was even able to use my paddle board right there. The breakfast was minimal with bagels, muffins, cereal and waffles. We brought our bikes and it was about a 10 min ride to duval and downtown. Overall a great place that allows pets, has huge rooms, friendly staff and great location.

Room Tip: Rm 217 on the end has a pool and water view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Boyfriend booked this place 1 week in advance, then when we arrived in town, they had no record of our reservations and NO rooms available! Grounds looked shabby and under some construction. Waterways looked muddy. Location was far from town. All of this was a blessing in disguise for us because we ended up staying at the most beautiful place in town called the Tranquilty Guest House. Don't waste your time or money here.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

It looks as if this hotel is being renovated. The No vacancy sign goes up daily by noon but there is no way all rooms are occupied. The pool and hot tub are nice. The Tiki Bar died with Hemmingway and the place looks nice until you look at details. That being said we didn't come here for an opulent room we chose based upon price. Duvall street is but a cab ride away. I do believe this location will become better over time.

• Stayed June 2013
Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Banana Bay in Key West has the absolute reality to website comparison. This property looks NOTHING like the website, at all, no really, nothing. The website looks so nice clean modern, but the reality is that Banana Bay in Key West is tired. The rooms, at least ours, was not well maintained. We had holes in the walls, several in the bathroom. It looked like it was in the middle of a renovation. Maybe the other rooms were in better condition?? What we had was clean, but old. The fixtures were very old, needs paint in most places. The sink vanity had come off of the wall, nothing sealed up. I was there with my son on a fishing trip so we dealt with it. If I had been with my wife I would have requested a refund and moved somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
St. Joseph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Jut stayed at the resort for our Key West vacation. Having a car, we didn't mind the drive to get to Duvall Street and it was a great price compared to other hotels. Only complaint is the staff- not rude, but also not very friendly. The front desk person was friendly enough, but other staff weren't at all. Could say hi to someone and just get a blank stare back or a annoyed look.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

When I walked into the room for the first time, I felt so unsafe that my fiancé and I had to haul our things around town, we felt if we left our things back, (it would defininately would not be there, once we came back.) when we finally got inside the room, after our full day of fun. We felt hesitant to come back into our room. Please note: we only booked this hotel be because all of Key West nice hotels weren't in options for us. Continue; we took a shower, and I freaked out. There were spiders in there. Torn ugly paints that were chipped off the walls like a nasty bathroom off of a horror movie scene. Once I left the bathroom, a mosquito bit me. I don't know how it slipped in but I am getting bit as I am writing this. Please reconsider staying here if you like decent hotels. For the price that were paying, 200+ a night, I was hoping I can sleep without wondering what kind of bugs that are on the bed and around our sleeping area. My fiancé looked online of reviews on this hotels and the pictures does not look pleasant

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Banana Bay Resort - Key West? Share your experiences!