“Robert was great!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Robert was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our Ragnar FLK relay team took over the whole house from January 5-7, booking every room. The folks at the B&B were extremely accommodating, from the beginning when we were booking reservations back in June 2012, to confirming details in December. Once we arrived, they worked with us to get access to the rooms early if we needed them to shower before we met our team at the finish line. The service is perfect. The location is perfect. I stayed all the way upstairs in the Turret Suite with Robert the Doll. The bed was comfortable, but I didn't like having to walk down the spiral stairs to use the bathroom at night. I peeked into all the rooms at the Inn, and they are wonderfully spacious and beautifully furnished. The hot tub area is perfect for small groups to socialize. I would definitely stay here again, though I'm not sure what it would be like if I didn't know everyone else in the house.

Room Tip: The Turret Suite has two full bathrooms and can accommodate two couples. The only bad thing is that...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

The staff is stellar, a cople from overseas that really know about customer service. The rooms are quaint and the beds all new and very comfortable. If you are in the keys, and thinking key west, this place is for you

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I visited Key West in December 2011 and I loved the slower pace the weekday stay provided, so I booked 4 nights at the Artist House on Eaton Street for the same time period. I had learned about the house on my last visit to East Martello Museum when I met Robert. Of course I had to book the Turret Suite. Upon arrival early afternoon on Monday the 10th I parked across the street. Getting to the house is as simple as it gets just follow North Roosevelt Blvd as you enter Key West, hang a right on Palm Ave which eventually turns into Eaton Street, stop at 534. We went in to check in after climbing a short flight of stairs to the lower front porch. There is seating out front and a couple immediately struck up a conversation with my wife and I, nice start to meeting people. I went in and met Jo one of the owners. She followed me and my wife across the street to my car, popped the trunk and pulled out the luggage. Jo directed me to my prepaid parking for my stay which is $20 per night, it is located about a block & a half away, 3 to 5 minute walk. My wife and I pack heavy and the stairway to our second floor room was steep, keep this in mind if you can't carry a load up steep stairs. You can also access the second floor from an outside staircase to the second floor porch which has tables and chairs with cushions. This stairway is wider for big bags.

As we first entered the room I found it unusual and it actually took a little while to get used to it, but it's pretty functional. There is a nice Queen size bed with nightstands as you first enter. A large dresser is on the wall to your left and just past that is bathroom number 1. It has a toilet and clawfoot tub with a shower. Very nice for middle of the night trips for the person who occupies the bed on the entrance side. Then there is a door leading to the outside, at night the home is illuminated with flood lights and the light shines in. Close the two hinged shutters which cover the door and the light is blocked. Just next to that porch door is a coffee pot with a table to put keys, sunglasses and such. The you enter the living room area which has a sleeper couch, a coffee table and a chair. Its a unique curved room which fronts Eaton street with nice wood blinds. As local workers race to work in the morning it can get a bit noisy at 7am or so then it quiets down again. Just next to the chair & AC unit is a set of double doors which open to a closet which houses an nice sized refrigerator and a microwave. I always travel with craft beers and wine and it kept them plenty cold. Next to that is a storge space with door which is under curving staircase. This houses iron & board, suitcase rack and a space to hang clothes. Continuing around the room is bathroom number two, this has toilet and chair and a large shower with sliding glass doors and two shower heads, one at each end. Showering two at once is easily possible. Now just outside the bathroom next to the bed is a wonderful curving stair case that leads up to the turret. This has a double bed with chair, this has many windows which look down on Eaton St, Roberts favorite spot for glowering at passing school children.

Just out side the room is a case with books and a nice small couch for relaxing with a book. Down the staircase is a hallway leading from the entrance back to the kitchen area. Every morning is a nice breakfast with coffee, juices, and various pastries from a French shop on Duval Street. They also have a variety of cereals with milk. Champange is also available for those so inclined. Just outside and down from the kitchen are many small tables and chairs for enjoying the breakfast. There is a nice heated pool/tube a focal point the area is secluded and has a bricked walking area. This same area is also home to the 4pm to 5pm happy hour. Mixed beers domestic with Coronas were the choices along with 3 different wines. We met many wonderful couples of all ages during our stay. We actually looked forward to out breakfasts and happy hours to chat with our new aquaintances.

The house is very close to Duval Street (maybe 50 yards), and on the corner of Eaton & Duval is a wonderful really old Episcopal Church, which is opened to all to visit or to say a prayer, wonderful experience. I hear the back area burial behind the church is the final resting place to some spirits who have been know to scare Duval drunks who tried to disturb the peace.

Continuously throughout the day and evenings the trolleys stop for a minute and tell a quick history of the house, they do not bother you at all. At night walking ghost tours sit across the street and tell the interesting history of the house. Take the time to go on a ghost tour either walking or by trolley and do visit Robert at the Fort. I've heard that Anne still walks the house at night and Jo told me a woman whom had stayed in our room the night before was awakened by the dresser drawers opening & closing. My stay was quiet but then again me and Robert are tight.......lol

Room Tip: Read above, rooms toward front have some morning noise associated with locals going to work on noisy...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Artist_House_KW, Manager at Artist House, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
We sincerely thank you for your glowing review! We're so happy that you enjoyed so much about the house and we appreciate you sharing your experience! We're also happy to hear that you and Robert got along! We hope to see you again soon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I are starting to knock things off our bucket list and going to Key West was a must do. We have never stayed at a B&B so we decided to give it a try and knock 2 items off our list. Well, we were not disappointed with either choice as we had just an awesome time in Key West. What was even better though was our experience staying at The Artist House. Absolutely everything we had read about it on Trip Advisor was true. First of all the location is by far the best, just a block and a half off Duval and maybe 5 or 6 to Mallory Square. Second, the rooms are clean, spacious and comfy. We stayed in the Morning Room which had its on private balcony which was great for morning coffee or a late, late night drink. Finally, the staff is excellent and very accommodating. You have a question or need a suggestion? Just ask. They were all very helpful. So, look out Key West because I think you may become a regular stop for us and The Artist House will be the only place we would ever stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on knocking some items off your bucket list! We're thrilled to have been a part of that! Thank you for staying with us and sharing such great compliments! We hope to see you again!
Tamarac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Artist House was recommended to us by our son and my husband and I have since stayed there on three visits to Key West. The Owners and all of the employees are so warm and friendly they make it a pleasure. Breakfast is delicious, the rooms are beautiful and it is so convenient to walk to everything in town. We love it here and pass is on to all of our friends.
Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
There's no greater compliment than repeat guests! We enjoy having you as our guests and can't wait to see you again next time! Thank you for the great review!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the Artist House for 3 nights at the end of November and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My title of this review sums it up really and I would completely recommend this guest house to anyone staying in Key West.

A few other points to mention are; Laura, she was so helpful, she welcommed us when we arrived and helped us get settled and then recommended restaurants, bars and entertainment to try giving us vouchers that got us free drinks at some restaurants if we dined there. The breakfast is lovely, plenty of choice. The happy hour (free limited bar) was great and I don't think people took advantage of it enough. Finally, the plunge pool/jacuzzi was lovely to sit in and sip a frozen cocktail.

If it wasn't so far away from home I would go back every year!! Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for sharing your experience! We're glad to hear that we helped make your vacation that much more enjoyable!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at the Artist House on Eaton St and it was a lovely stay. Great location - we could walk to everything - and very accomodating staff. Breakfast was a great selection and it was nice to stay in a place with ambiance rather than some big resort.

Room Tip: If you wear a lot of makeup or tint your hair - take a perosnal towel with you (or pick one up at on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope that you'll visit with us again soon!

Been to Artist House? Share your experiences!